Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SDO'S

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 8/17/02 at 17:43 (092769)

Received the box of foam for making casts of my feet already - very quick shipment from Dr. Kiper. I shall do that tomorrow (Sun.) & return them to him on Mon - w/ hope that the orthotics delivery/ turnaround time will be as prompt as this initial delivery of the foam box. I shall keep you posted! Any suggestions other than those directions enclosed for 'making the casts??' If so, please advise & I shall take heed! Thank you!

Re: SDO'S

F.H. on 8/19/02 at 11:42 (092901)

Don't think about it too much before you step....you might try to get it perfect...it doesn't matter. Just step into it like it says.
Dr. Kiper is awesome....he has really been a top notch communicator.

BGCPed on 8/19/02 at 12:39 (092908)

Not to second guess but it does matter. The quality or lack of in the cast can make or break a device. The foam creates some resistance which can sometimes float a part of the foot, usually the first ray/met head. The problem wih that is that foam sometimes can create an artificial or at least create the illusion of a forefoot varus. I know some great people that make wonderful devices from faom box but they are the ones making the impression for the patient

F.H. on 8/19/02 at 13:26 (092912)

I didn't mean it doesn't matter 'how' you step in...just that you simply follow the instructions and stepping real hard or lining up the prints side by side etc...doesn't matter. That's all.

BGCPed on 8/19/02 at 21:50 (092944)

If you had 2 pairs and didnt work may i ask what tye of facility you went to and were you scanned full wt bearing or non wt bearing?

F.H. on 8/20/02 at 08:28 (092973)

I went to a store that was ONLY for fitting Amfit orthotics and selling shoes for foot problems and diabetics. I stood on a computerized platform scanner thing that these pins came up around my foot and measured my arches. I did this three times for each pair. The orthotics they gave me were terrible. I even broke them in properly being very careful and they still didn't work.
I took them to four doctors (2 pods one ortho and one sports med guy) and they all laughed at me for even trying them for plantar fasc.
Go figure. I threw them out.

Re: oops.

F.H. on 8/20/02 at 08:28 (092974)

The previous post was in regards to the Amfit orthotics not the SDO's.

BGCPed on 8/20/02 at 08:54 (092977)

Well it sounds like you have been around the block. If they had you stand on it with both feet on the top of the machine that was mistake number one. A I stated before, just because it is a computer you can still make junk on it. If all 4 practitioners you went to 'laughed' that you would try them for pf did they explain why or were they laughing at the poor quality of the device?

IMHO I dont think 'laughing' at a device is very proper and you had 4 out of 4 do it. I see some incredible junk at times and I am always more diplomatic. If the patient asks why a device doesnt work for them I am happy to explain what I think is the problem. Blaming the machine is like saying that you got sick on a Big Mac in high school so all McDonalds have tainted food

It is unfortunate but it sounds like you had a bad experience due to pilot error.

Re: F.H. you sound like me!

Mahatmelissama on 8/20/02 at 10:40 (092984)

I did the computer scanner too! Some very nice peds made me orthotics from that. I went in there more than 4 times for adjustments. It was either too high or too low.

The hard orthotics one of my pods had made for me are too rigid for me to get use to them.

The SDOs I have are the most comfortable.

Another praise that shows me they are working (albeit so sloooowwwlly)...I got a pedicure last night. Usually, when the lady pulls my toes back, I yelp in pain...this time, it wasn't so bad. She also gave me a mini massage on the foot, squeezing that area in the middle of the foot which usually makes me bark at her 'no..not there!'...I was able this time to handle that on both feet, even my left (which is tres sensitive). I was amazed at how much my sensitivity went down!

When I put on my old platform sandals (to let my toes airdry after the pedicure), I found they weren't as comfortable as before. I am really acclimating to the Finn Comforts with SDOs in them!

F.H. on 8/19/02 at 11:42 (092901)

Don't think about it too much before you step....you might try to get it perfect...it doesn't matter. Just step into it like it says.
Dr. Kiper is awesome....he has really been a top notch communicator.

BGCPed on 8/19/02 at 12:39 (092908)

Not to second guess but it does matter. The quality or lack of in the cast can make or break a device. The foam creates some resistance which can sometimes float a part of the foot, usually the first ray/met head. The problem wih that is that foam sometimes can create an artificial or at least create the illusion of a forefoot varus. I know some great people that make wonderful devices from faom box but they are the ones making the impression for the patient

F.H. on 8/19/02 at 13:26 (092912)

I didn't mean it doesn't matter 'how' you step in...just that you simply follow the instructions and stepping real hard or lining up the prints side by side etc...doesn't matter. That's all.

BGCPed on 8/19/02 at 21:50 (092944)

If you had 2 pairs and didnt work may i ask what tye of facility you went to and were you scanned full wt bearing or non wt bearing?

F.H. on 8/20/02 at 08:28 (092973)

I went to a store that was ONLY for fitting Amfit orthotics and selling shoes for foot problems and diabetics. I stood on a computerized platform scanner thing that these pins came up around my foot and measured my arches. I did this three times for each pair. The orthotics they gave me were terrible. I even broke them in properly being very careful and they still didn't work.
I took them to four doctors (2 pods one ortho and one sports med guy) and they all laughed at me for even trying them for plantar fasc.
Go figure. I threw them out.

F.H. on 8/20/02 at 08:28 (092974)

The previous post was in regards to the Amfit orthotics not the SDO's.

BGCPed on 8/20/02 at 08:54 (092977)

Well it sounds like you have been around the block. If they had you stand on it with both feet on the top of the machine that was mistake number one. A I stated before, just because it is a computer you can still make junk on it. If all 4 practitioners you went to 'laughed' that you would try them for pf did they explain why or were they laughing at the poor quality of the device?

IMHO I dont think 'laughing' at a device is very proper and you had 4 out of 4 do it. I see some incredible junk at times and I am always more diplomatic. If the patient asks why a device doesnt work for them I am happy to explain what I think is the problem. Blaming the machine is like saying that you got sick on a Big Mac in high school so all McDonalds have tainted food

It is unfortunate but it sounds like you had a bad experience due to pilot error.

Re: F.H. you sound like me!

Mahatmelissama on 8/20/02 at 10:40 (092984)

I did the computer scanner too! Some very nice peds made me orthotics from that. I went in there more than 4 times for adjustments. It was either too high or too low.

The hard orthotics one of my pods had made for me are too rigid for me to get use to them.

The SDOs I have are the most comfortable.

Another praise that shows me they are working (albeit so sloooowwwlly)...I got a pedicure last night. Usually, when the lady pulls my toes back, I yelp in pain...this time, it wasn't so bad. She also gave me a mini massage on the foot, squeezing that area in the middle of the foot which usually makes me bark at her 'no..not there!'...I was able this time to handle that on both feet, even my left (which is tres sensitive). I was amazed at how much my sensitivity went down!

When I put on my old platform sandals (to let my toes airdry after the pedicure), I found they weren't as comfortable as before. I am really acclimating to the Finn Comforts with SDOs in them!