Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Adhesion hints...

Posted by Jennifer on 8/17/02 at 17:53 (092771)

Any helpful hints for getting rid of adhesion post accessory navicular excision ??????? I am massaging, but I am creating a lot of inflammation...is that okay ????? Any hope in using mousturizers or Mederma to help ??????

Thanks in advance : )

Jennifer

Re: Adhesion hints...

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/17/02 at 18:50 (092775)

Physical therapy modalities such as ultrasound can be very helpful after this procedure. Mederma is a good product but it is only for the surface scar -- no effect on deep adhesions.

Deep tissue massage also helps -- make sure to ice the area after massage.
Ed

Jennifer on 8/18/02 at 11:13 (092832)

How long should I go it on my own before crying 'uncle'. I will be 7 weeks post-op Monday and I am worried that I won't be able to solve this on my own. I have had adhesions before that have been really resistant...granted this area is much more accessible.

I was hoping that the Mederma would help to solve the strangely crusty, hard surface of my scar so I could roll the tissue during massage more easily...

Also, I am weaning off the immobilizer. I will get orthodics once I am free of that beast. I am wearing my New Balance and Ecco shoes whilst I am in this transitional phase. Any other recommendations ????

Thanks again : )

Jennifer

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/02 at 18:59 (093012)

Not sure what you mean by 'going it on my own?' Are you not under the active care of your doctor? Sounds like you should be in PT right now.
Ed

Jennifer on 8/20/02 at 20:41 (093025)

I am being followed pretty closely by my OS...every three to four weeks.

I am not in PT as the PT that I normally go to doesn't feel that the situation warrants it (he feels adhesions should be dealt with by the patient). I have good ROM...the real issues are the adhesion and gait right now. After 8 ortho surgeries everyone (except me) seems to think I should be able to manage my own care.

I can call the OS at any point and get in and see him or get a referral for PT somewhere else. I guess that is my point, if I am not seeing progress in one, or two weeks should I see the OS earlier or do I have a large enough window to work on the adhesion without worrying about the passing time ????

I am sorry I wasn't clearer...

Jennifer

Julie on 8/21/02 at 02:08 (093054)

Jennifer, have you tried massaging Vitamin E oil into your scar? It won't do anything for the adhesions, which do need deep massage, but it should help the surface problems.

Don't use the bottled, cosmetic oil: snip the end off a capsule.

Jennifer on 8/21/02 at 11:27 (093085)

I have used vitamin E capsules in the past for topical application, but have found that it doesn't work as well as some other products. I really have been impressed with the results of shea butter with the last few knee incisions, the big benefit of the shea is that it isn't as sticky as the E. I am going with the Mederma this time just to try it.

Thanks for the input though.

Jennifer

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/17/02 at 18:50 (092775)

Physical therapy modalities such as ultrasound can be very helpful after this procedure. Mederma is a good product but it is only for the surface scar -- no effect on deep adhesions.

Deep tissue massage also helps -- make sure to ice the area after massage.
Ed

Jennifer on 8/18/02 at 11:13 (092832)

How long should I go it on my own before crying 'uncle'. I will be 7 weeks post-op Monday and I am worried that I won't be able to solve this on my own. I have had adhesions before that have been really resistant...granted this area is much more accessible.

I was hoping that the Mederma would help to solve the strangely crusty, hard surface of my scar so I could roll the tissue during massage more easily...

Also, I am weaning off the immobilizer. I will get orthodics once I am free of that beast. I am wearing my New Balance and Ecco shoes whilst I am in this transitional phase. Any other recommendations ????

Thanks again : )

Jennifer

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/02 at 18:59 (093012)

Not sure what you mean by 'going it on my own?' Are you not under the active care of your doctor? Sounds like you should be in PT right now.
Ed

Jennifer on 8/20/02 at 20:41 (093025)

I am being followed pretty closely by my OS...every three to four weeks.

I am not in PT as the PT that I normally go to doesn't feel that the situation warrants it (he feels adhesions should be dealt with by the patient). I have good ROM...the real issues are the adhesion and gait right now. After 8 ortho surgeries everyone (except me) seems to think I should be able to manage my own care.

I can call the OS at any point and get in and see him or get a referral for PT somewhere else. I guess that is my point, if I am not seeing progress in one, or two weeks should I see the OS earlier or do I have a large enough window to work on the adhesion without worrying about the passing time ????

I am sorry I wasn't clearer...

Jennifer

Julie on 8/21/02 at 02:08 (093054)

Jennifer, have you tried massaging Vitamin E oil into your scar? It won't do anything for the adhesions, which do need deep massage, but it should help the surface problems.

Don't use the bottled, cosmetic oil: snip the end off a capsule.

Jennifer on 8/21/02 at 11:27 (093085)

I have used vitamin E capsules in the past for topical application, but have found that it doesn't work as well as some other products. I really have been impressed with the results of shea butter with the last few knee incisions, the big benefit of the shea is that it isn't as sticky as the E. I am going with the Mederma this time just to try it.

Thanks for the input though.

Jennifer