Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery for PF?

Posted by Trudy on 8/17/02 at 18:02 (092773)

I have been treated for a year now with all of the conservative methods and still suffer severe pain in my right foot. I asked my Dr. about ESWT and he said it has helped everyone he knew of but since it is still experimental, insurance doesn't cover it. He also said he doesn't have the equipment for it.He said my other option is surgery.I wonder how long it will take for insurance companies to start covering ESWT ? (probably longer than I can wait!)My question is : besides the pain on the inside part of my heel, I also have sharp pains going through the side of my foot and through my ankle,sometimes even up my calf.My Dr. said this is from walking on the side of my foot.Do you agree this is probably what these pains are from? I just worry there might be something wrong besides plantar fascitis. Thank you ! I think this message board is so helpful!

Re: Surgery for PF?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/17/02 at 18:47 (092774)

ESWT is definitely not experimental. It is a better option than surgery and is being covered by more insurance plans all the time. Many insurance plans may not have a written policy on this so it is important that your insurer be contacted by a provider who can give them the necessary information to make a potential decision on pre-certifying the service.

Most docs, at this point, do not personally own the equipment but have access to the equipment after they have been trained in its use at a number of surgicenters.

Your doc may be correct about the ankle and leg pains being from the manner you shift your weight but we cannot verify that without an exam.

The fees for ESWT are coming down in the US as availability increases and there is an option to obtain the treatment at lower cost in Canada.
Ed

Trudy on 8/18/02 at 16:49 (092858)

Thank you for the info. I read parts of the message board for ESWT and can see it is not experimental. Guess my Doc. is not up to date on it. I have BCBS insurance,maybe it will help pay!I am going to check for someone who does ESWT nearby.I guess I should have read about it before I posted that question!

JoyA on 8/19/02 at 02:46 (092874)

ESWT is definetly not experimental. It has been approved by FDA according to my podiatrist. Unfortunately, I am going through the same PF. And my insurance (AETNA) refused insurance coverage. According to AETNA, ESWT is still experimental.

My doctor is in the process of putting together a write-up and I am also going to contact them to let them know that they have incorrect information about this technology. Did your insurace provide any explanation why they won't cover the ESWT?

Trudy on 8/19/02 at 17:50 (092931)

Actually I haven't contacted my insurance company yet, I just took my Dr.s word for it because he said it wouldn't pay. I noticed on the ESWT message board some people did say theirs did. I will post again after I find out.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/21/02 at 02:07 (093053)

Aetna has a new policy lately - they will not approve it. Let me know if you get anywhere with them!

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/17/02 at 18:47 (092774)

ESWT is definitely not experimental. It is a better option than surgery and is being covered by more insurance plans all the time. Many insurance plans may not have a written policy on this so it is important that your insurer be contacted by a provider who can give them the necessary information to make a potential decision on pre-certifying the service.

Most docs, at this point, do not personally own the equipment but have access to the equipment after they have been trained in its use at a number of surgicenters.

Your doc may be correct about the ankle and leg pains being from the manner you shift your weight but we cannot verify that without an exam.

The fees for ESWT are coming down in the US as availability increases and there is an option to obtain the treatment at lower cost in Canada.
Ed

Trudy on 8/18/02 at 16:49 (092858)

Thank you for the info. I read parts of the message board for ESWT and can see it is not experimental. Guess my Doc. is not up to date on it. I have BCBS insurance,maybe it will help pay!I am going to check for someone who does ESWT nearby.I guess I should have read about it before I posted that question!

JoyA on 8/19/02 at 02:46 (092874)

ESWT is definetly not experimental. It has been approved by FDA according to my podiatrist. Unfortunately, I am going through the same PF. And my insurance (AETNA) refused insurance coverage. According to AETNA, ESWT is still experimental.

My doctor is in the process of putting together a write-up and I am also going to contact them to let them know that they have incorrect information about this technology. Did your insurace provide any explanation why they won't cover the ESWT?

Trudy on 8/19/02 at 17:50 (092931)

Actually I haven't contacted my insurance company yet, I just took my Dr.s word for it because he said it wouldn't pay. I noticed on the ESWT message board some people did say theirs did. I will post again after I find out.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/21/02 at 02:07 (093053)

Aetna has a new policy lately - they will not approve it. Let me know if you get anywhere with them!