Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could 35 minutes on StairMaster aggravate pf?

Posted by Kim R. on 8/18/02 at 15:40 (092851)

I have been plagued with pf and heel spurs in my left heel for approximately 8 weeks (this time). I am 39 5'7' 129 lbs. (hopefully weight is not the cause) and I run 20-25 miles per week (used to). I am also guilty of wearing high-heels. I am currently going through physical therapy doing ultrasound and the dexemethasone treatment and stretching and ice. I REALLY do not want to have a cortisone shot and I REALLY don't want to have surgery of any kind. I have had my custom orthotics for 5 days now. My question is this - Friday I was walking almost normal in my running shoes with my orthotics. Saturday I did 35 minutes flat-footed on the StairMaster followed by ice and stretching and my daily does of Vioxx. Sunday I am hurting again. Is it the StairMaster? I am a workout person - plain and simple, I don't want to gain a ton of weight through this ordeal. Please let me know if you think the StairMaster could be a source of re-injury. Also, how long can I expect to hurt? Thank you, Kim R. Spanish Fort, Alabama ((email removed))

Re: Could 35 minutes on StairMaster aggravate pf?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/18/02 at 16:37 (092856)

Rest is a very important part of pf healing. Only do stretching, biking, swimming. No stairmaster. Remember if you had a bone that was broken you
wouldn't go out and excercise

Julie on 8/19/02 at 03:19 (092876)

Hi Kim

You're obviously a 'go for it' girl! I would suggest, though - respectfully, of course, and (as another 'go-for-it' person) knowing how hard it will be to hear this - that for now you step back and limit all weight-bearing activities to give your plantar fascia a chance to heal.

This can - and probably will - take time. You're a do'er, but 'doing' isn't always the answer to PF. The more you 'do' (in the way of weight-bearing workouts) the longer it will take. Like many here, who made the mistake of regarding PF as a minor irritation and run or walked through the pain, you could end up with a chronic condition that will limit what you can do forever.

You really answered your own question - 35 minutes on the stairmaster and hurting the next day? I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a connection, wouldn't you?

If you can swim, establish a regular swimming routine. That will keep the weight from piling on and won't do your feet any harm.

Best of luck.

R C on 8/19/02 at 08:25 (092885)

Let me echo Julie's advice to hold off on all weight-bearing exercises until the PF is fully resolved. This includes walking, running, stairmaster, elliptical machine, doing weights while standing, etc. I've become a swimming enthusiast in the last few months, and urge you to consider it. Alternatively, you could get creative with a set of dumbbells and elastic band (which I did when I was in a cast). If the weight starts to creep up anyway, then it's time to try eating less (ack!).

As others have noted before, overcoming this injury requires some dedication, education, self-knowledge, and patience.

I hope you get well soon--

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/18/02 at 16:37 (092856)

Rest is a very important part of pf healing. Only do stretching, biking, swimming. No stairmaster. Remember if you had a bone that was broken you
wouldn't go out and excercise

Julie on 8/19/02 at 03:19 (092876)

Hi Kim

You're obviously a 'go for it' girl! I would suggest, though - respectfully, of course, and (as another 'go-for-it' person) knowing how hard it will be to hear this - that for now you step back and limit all weight-bearing activities to give your plantar fascia a chance to heal.

This can - and probably will - take time. You're a do'er, but 'doing' isn't always the answer to PF. The more you 'do' (in the way of weight-bearing workouts) the longer it will take. Like many here, who made the mistake of regarding PF as a minor irritation and run or walked through the pain, you could end up with a chronic condition that will limit what you can do forever.

You really answered your own question - 35 minutes on the stairmaster and hurting the next day? I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a connection, wouldn't you?

If you can swim, establish a regular swimming routine. That will keep the weight from piling on and won't do your feet any harm.

Best of luck.

R C on 8/19/02 at 08:25 (092885)

Let me echo Julie's advice to hold off on all weight-bearing exercises until the PF is fully resolved. This includes walking, running, stairmaster, elliptical machine, doing weights while standing, etc. I've become a swimming enthusiast in the last few months, and urge you to consider it. Alternatively, you could get creative with a set of dumbbells and elastic band (which I did when I was in a cast). If the weight starts to creep up anyway, then it's time to try eating less (ack!).

As others have noted before, overcoming this injury requires some dedication, education, self-knowledge, and patience.

I hope you get well soon--