Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Searching for treatment in Ohio

Posted by Tom S on 8/19/02 at 09:20 (092891)

I have been an avid runner for many years. For more than a year I have been treated by podiatrists, sports med docs,therapists, etc.. Most advise me not to have surgury. I would like to have shock wave therapy but insurance says it is experimental and doctors keep refering me to other doctors. I need some real options!!

Re: Searching for treatment in Ohio

RACHAEL T. on 8/19/02 at 10:45 (092895)

I saw Dr. Block at OSU - & had ESWT in 11/2001. Give him a call; he was quite informative & is a confident doctor. Let me know what happens.

Kim R. on 8/19/02 at 12:11 (092905)

I am also a runner. I am 38 and have been running steadily for the past 16 years. I am also guilty of wearing high-heels 5 days a week and I am terrible about stretching. I pulled up some info on ESWT and Ohio and Texas were the only states that I could locate where the procedure was done (that would be in our area). I am told that any kind of weight bearing activity, including the StairMaster, aggravates this condition. As a runner, the mental aspect of this is horrific because running is an important part of our daily routine. What kind of therapy have you had? The ultrasound and the 'ionic' treatments with dexemethasone seem to be helping me. The taping techniques described here also take some of the pressure off the arch, if your skin can stand the tape. I am sure you have tried all this. Have you also experimented with DMSO at all? Probably pretty unorthodox, but I have and it hasn't hurt. I am not much help I know. You have probably tried all of these things. Orthotics? They seem to be helping me. Not running also seems to help. Are you running to test out your foot and then re-injuring yourself before you have really had a chance to heel? I was doing that and I have resolved to stay off the foot (exercise wise) for however long it takes. All you have to do is read some of these 'worst cases' posted on this web site and realize that if you don't heel properly, you won't even be able to walk again, much less run. I had to realize that these little two-week rest periods followed by a quick five mile run to 'test' my foot were just prolonging this whole episode. I wish you the best - click on the ESWT site and type in Ohio and if I am not mistaken, two clinics are listed. If I thought is would work and there was a clinic closer to me, I pay the $5000 without a thought. Good luck.

David L on 8/21/02 at 16:29 (093122)

For a Siemens Sonocur location in Ohio, see
http://www.sonorex.com/us/company/locator_query.php?state=OH

RACHAEL T. on 8/19/02 at 10:45 (092895)

I saw Dr. Block at OSU - & had ESWT in 11/2001. Give him a call; he was quite informative & is a confident doctor. Let me know what happens.

Kim R. on 8/19/02 at 12:11 (092905)

I am also a runner. I am 38 and have been running steadily for the past 16 years. I am also guilty of wearing high-heels 5 days a week and I am terrible about stretching. I pulled up some info on ESWT and Ohio and Texas were the only states that I could locate where the procedure was done (that would be in our area). I am told that any kind of weight bearing activity, including the StairMaster, aggravates this condition. As a runner, the mental aspect of this is horrific because running is an important part of our daily routine. What kind of therapy have you had? The ultrasound and the 'ionic' treatments with dexemethasone seem to be helping me. The taping techniques described here also take some of the pressure off the arch, if your skin can stand the tape. I am sure you have tried all this. Have you also experimented with DMSO at all? Probably pretty unorthodox, but I have and it hasn't hurt. I am not much help I know. You have probably tried all of these things. Orthotics? They seem to be helping me. Not running also seems to help. Are you running to test out your foot and then re-injuring yourself before you have really had a chance to heel? I was doing that and I have resolved to stay off the foot (exercise wise) for however long it takes. All you have to do is read some of these 'worst cases' posted on this web site and realize that if you don't heel properly, you won't even be able to walk again, much less run. I had to realize that these little two-week rest periods followed by a quick five mile run to 'test' my foot were just prolonging this whole episode. I wish you the best - click on the ESWT site and type in Ohio and if I am not mistaken, two clinics are listed. If I thought is would work and there was a clinic closer to me, I pay the $5000 without a thought. Good luck.

David L on 8/21/02 at 16:29 (093122)

For a Siemens Sonocur location in Ohio, see
http://www.sonorex.com/us/company/locator_query.php?state=OH