Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Get real orthotics from a podiatrist

Posted by Marc S on 8/19/02 at 15:26 (092922)

Hi,

After a year of unsuccessful PF treated with orthotics casted from a blue foam box and made by a big lab, I went elsewhere. I went to a podiatrist and had customer orthotics made from a plaster cast and manufactured by the podiatrist himself.

The differences between the two sets of orthoses are dramatics. The original set bend easily and collapse under my weight. While weightbearing in the old ones my big toe still has limited flexibility, which is believed to be a common (and my) cause for the PF. In the new othotics, my big toe can be lifted easily.

The short term results have been positive, so I've got my fingers crossed.

In general I would suggest that if orthotics aren't working to not give up - it could just be that the person who fit them is not qualified or that the lab that made them is cheap. Apparently chriropractors and physiotherapists are amongst those who should NOT be selling othotics. It is also quite difficult to find a lab that makes a good pair.

Re: Get real orthotics from a podiatrist

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/19/02 at 21:52 (092945)

Marc:

I wish I could say that going to a podiatrist guarantees a good pair of orthotics -- I really cannot. Nevertheless, there are a lot of people who have got into the orthotic 'business' with very little knowledge of foot function. It is really in every patient's best interest for practitioners to provide services within their field of expertise. I am happy to refer patients to physical therapist and chiropractors whom I respect for expertise in their respective areas of training. An ethical chiropractor or PT should do likewise.
Ed

Re: ... or how about a C.Ped....

Carole C in NOLA on 8/20/02 at 02:44 (092962)

I got some terrific custom orthotics from a C.Ped. that my doctor sent me to. I think these custom orthotics played a key role in my recovery from PF.

Unlike most physical therapists or chiropractors, my C.Ped is a trained foot professional, has many years of experience in making countless pairs of custom orthotics, and when it comes to orthotics she knows what she is doing. She focuses just on making orthotics. She's not a podiatrist, and requires a prescription for the orthotics that she makes.

She made mine with the 'blue foam box', but did not send them off. They were made right there in the back of her store/office. Then she had me walk in them and watched... then fiddled with them and adjusted them until they satisfied her. As a result, I walked out of there with outstandingly good orthotics the same day, that work and that truly helped my PF to heal.

Carole C

Re: Get real orthotics from a podiatrist

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/19/02 at 21:52 (092945)

Marc:

I wish I could say that going to a podiatrist guarantees a good pair of orthotics -- I really cannot. Nevertheless, there are a lot of people who have got into the orthotic 'business' with very little knowledge of foot function. It is really in every patient's best interest for practitioners to provide services within their field of expertise. I am happy to refer patients to physical therapist and chiropractors whom I respect for expertise in their respective areas of training. An ethical chiropractor or PT should do likewise.
Ed

Re: ... or how about a C.Ped....

Carole C in NOLA on 8/20/02 at 02:44 (092962)

I got some terrific custom orthotics from a C.Ped. that my doctor sent me to. I think these custom orthotics played a key role in my recovery from PF.

Unlike most physical therapists or chiropractors, my C.Ped is a trained foot professional, has many years of experience in making countless pairs of custom orthotics, and when it comes to orthotics she knows what she is doing. She focuses just on making orthotics. She's not a podiatrist, and requires a prescription for the orthotics that she makes.

She made mine with the 'blue foam box', but did not send them off. They were made right there in the back of her store/office. Then she had me walk in them and watched... then fiddled with them and adjusted them until they satisfied her. As a result, I walked out of there with outstandingly good orthotics the same day, that work and that truly helped my PF to heal.

Carole C