Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am I "obsessed" with my foot pain?

Posted by JJC on 8/19/02 at 19:09 (092935)

I need some advice here. I've had this PF for a few years now.
Its chronic, in spite of treatments (I won't go into). One of my
doctors thinks I'm obsessed with this. Sure, I think of
my pain way too much. I search for cures. I see other doctors.
I refuse to belive I'll have PF the rest of my life. How do you know
when you are obsessed with your pain? I am *not* depressed. I actually
think I am lucky compared to some of the things I read on this
message board. I go on w/my life. Sure, I've made adjustments
to accomodate my pain. So how do you know if you are obsessed
with pain?

Re: Am I "obsessed" with my foot pain?

wendyn on 8/19/02 at 19:20 (092936)

Is it affecting your ability to enjoy life?

Is it interfering with anything you should be doing?

Are you spending more time thinking about your feet than on other activities like work, visiting with friends etc?

If you decided to take 1 month off, and not think about your feet, search the web, read the message board, or see a doctor - could you do it easily?

Carole C in NOLA on 8/19/02 at 19:58 (092937)

There are some really positive attitudes that you mention. Not being depressed is one of them, and quite an accomplishment. Continuing on your search for cures and your refusal to believe you'll have PF for the rest of your life demonstrates a wonderful, constructive, positive attitude.

I'm no psychologist, but I think that if you are going on with your life, giving of yourself to others, and getting all you possibly can out of your life while refusing to give up, you are not obsessed. You are simply goal-oriented.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Carole C

Julie on 8/20/02 at 02:06 (092960)

If you were obsessed you would know it: there wouldn't be room in your life for anything much else.

I'm reading between the lines. What I'm reading is that you're understandably pissed off at the doctor who delivered this unsympathetic remark, and seek affirmation that you're a normal human being with a very sore foot. I'd guess that you are, from what you say.

Sometimes a doctor who has nothing to offer a patient will put the blame on the patient in one way or another, as this one has with you.

Try to let it go. Keep focused on your healing: goal-oriented rather than 'obsessed', as Carole says.

I don't recall reading posts from you before - sorry if I've missed something - but could you tell us what you've done so far? What doctors you've seen, what sort of examinations you've had, what treatment you've had?

What is your work? Have you studied the heel pain book? I'm not promising anything, but some people have found that participating fully here has been a help.

Re: Obsessed

JJC on 8/20/02 at 06:35 (092968)

Thanks, all, for your comments.
These are very good questions.
It does affect my ability to enjoy life & it does interfere
with things. I do have to 'work around' the pain.
Im not sure if I could take 1 month off and not think about this.
But I know I will try.

I am pissed at some of the doc's. But I am letting that anger
go.

I think I am obsessed, somewhat. I will work on accepting and going on.
Thanks to all.

wendyn on 8/20/02 at 07:05 (092970)

JJC - sorry, I meant to say 'it' as in 'your preoccupation with your pain' rather than your pain itself. If the pain gets in the way of your life, that's one thing - but if worrying about the pain is more of an issue than the pain - that's different.

J. King on 8/21/02 at 12:25 (093089)

It sounds like your doctor is obsessed with the fact that he feels incompetent to deal with your pain. Many times when doctor fails they blame patient. I am not obsessed with my foot pain of 17 years but it does limit me. I don't accept it either but I deal with it.

JudyS on 8/21/02 at 19:42 (093142)

JJC in a way I think you would be a real saint if you weren't 'obsessed' with your feet! Every one here understands the constant nature of PF pain so how could any of us not have some degree of obsession with it? I suspect your doc has never had it! The other thing we understand here is the varying nature of the pain - it's 'on again off again' thing which leaves us in a constant quandary. Ask your doc to walk around for a week with several shards of glass in his/her shoe and then re-ask that 'obsession' question of you.
Then go to another doc. Stay in charge, don't give up.

Necee on 8/22/02 at 12:14 (093216)

It sounds to me like your obsessed with finding ways of getting better, we all are. I wouldn't worry or put much thought into what others might think, your pain is real and only you feel it, therefore it's up to you to find a treatment that works, so if others call it obsession, then so be it.
We are all searching for answers to healing in different ways here, so keep focused on healing, like Julie said, and take it just one day at a time, when we look too far down that road toward getting better it sometimes can be overwhelming.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Barbara J on 8/24/02 at 08:40 (093398)

Dear JJC,

No you are not obsessed. You are merely heeding the message the pain is giving you. I had my pain for a year and a half. This is after night splints, Birkenstock sandals, and taking Reliv Food Supplements. Its a good chance that due to flat feet or lack of calcium, the plantar fascia is injured and cannot sew itself back onto the bone. Food supplements and high arch supports are a must. If you follow these instructions you will avoid surgery which is a 50-50 proposion anyhow!!! Good luck and write me if you have any questions. I'll be happy to share my experience and how thank ful I am that I can walk again...and ski!!

wendyn on 8/19/02 at 19:20 (092936)

Is it affecting your ability to enjoy life?

Is it interfering with anything you should be doing?

Are you spending more time thinking about your feet than on other activities like work, visiting with friends etc?

If you decided to take 1 month off, and not think about your feet, search the web, read the message board, or see a doctor - could you do it easily?

Carole C in NOLA on 8/19/02 at 19:58 (092937)

There are some really positive attitudes that you mention. Not being depressed is one of them, and quite an accomplishment. Continuing on your search for cures and your refusal to believe you'll have PF for the rest of your life demonstrates a wonderful, constructive, positive attitude.

I'm no psychologist, but I think that if you are going on with your life, giving of yourself to others, and getting all you possibly can out of your life while refusing to give up, you are not obsessed. You are simply goal-oriented.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Carole C

Julie on 8/20/02 at 02:06 (092960)

If you were obsessed you would know it: there wouldn't be room in your life for anything much else.

I'm reading between the lines. What I'm reading is that you're understandably pissed off at the doctor who delivered this unsympathetic remark, and seek affirmation that you're a normal human being with a very sore foot. I'd guess that you are, from what you say.

Sometimes a doctor who has nothing to offer a patient will put the blame on the patient in one way or another, as this one has with you.

Try to let it go. Keep focused on your healing: goal-oriented rather than 'obsessed', as Carole says.

I don't recall reading posts from you before - sorry if I've missed something - but could you tell us what you've done so far? What doctors you've seen, what sort of examinations you've had, what treatment you've had?

What is your work? Have you studied the heel pain book? I'm not promising anything, but some people have found that participating fully here has been a help.

JJC on 8/20/02 at 06:35 (092968)

Thanks, all, for your comments.
These are very good questions.
It does affect my ability to enjoy life & it does interfere
with things. I do have to 'work around' the pain.
Im not sure if I could take 1 month off and not think about this.
But I know I will try.

I am pissed at some of the doc's. But I am letting that anger
go.

I think I am obsessed, somewhat. I will work on accepting and going on.
Thanks to all.

wendyn on 8/20/02 at 07:05 (092970)

JJC - sorry, I meant to say 'it' as in 'your preoccupation with your pain' rather than your pain itself. If the pain gets in the way of your life, that's one thing - but if worrying about the pain is more of an issue than the pain - that's different.

J. King on 8/21/02 at 12:25 (093089)

It sounds like your doctor is obsessed with the fact that he feels incompetent to deal with your pain. Many times when doctor fails they blame patient. I am not obsessed with my foot pain of 17 years but it does limit me. I don't accept it either but I deal with it.

JudyS on 8/21/02 at 19:42 (093142)

JJC in a way I think you would be a real saint if you weren't 'obsessed' with your feet! Every one here understands the constant nature of PF pain so how could any of us not have some degree of obsession with it? I suspect your doc has never had it! The other thing we understand here is the varying nature of the pain - it's 'on again off again' thing which leaves us in a constant quandary. Ask your doc to walk around for a week with several shards of glass in his/her shoe and then re-ask that 'obsession' question of you.
Then go to another doc. Stay in charge, don't give up.

Necee on 8/22/02 at 12:14 (093216)

It sounds to me like your obsessed with finding ways of getting better, we all are. I wouldn't worry or put much thought into what others might think, your pain is real and only you feel it, therefore it's up to you to find a treatment that works, so if others call it obsession, then so be it.
We are all searching for answers to healing in different ways here, so keep focused on healing, like Julie said, and take it just one day at a time, when we look too far down that road toward getting better it sometimes can be overwhelming.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Barbara J on 8/24/02 at 08:40 (093398)

Dear JJC,

No you are not obsessed. You are merely heeding the message the pain is giving you. I had my pain for a year and a half. This is after night splints, Birkenstock sandals, and taking Reliv Food Supplements. Its a good chance that due to flat feet or lack of calcium, the plantar fascia is injured and cannot sew itself back onto the bone. Food supplements and high arch supports are a must. If you follow these instructions you will avoid surgery which is a 50-50 proposion anyhow!!! Good luck and write me if you have any questions. I'll be happy to share my experience and how thank ful I am that I can walk again...and ski!!