Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good Shoe????

Posted by Tonya on 8/19/02 at 22:12 (092947)

I have had plantar fascitiis in both feet, but I had open pf release on my right foot about three months ago. Now that I am up and moving around more, it is time for new shoes. Can anyone recommend a shoe with good ankle and arch support? I am looking to spend around $100. I get tired of buying expensive shoes that feel good in the store, but offer no comfort a week later. I normally post on the foot surgery board, but have not gotten a reply to this question, so decided on posting under this category. Any feedback would be appreciated. T

Re: Good Shoe????

Todd H. on 8/19/02 at 22:30 (092953)

Tonya, I've had good luck with Birkenstock shoes. I had chronic pf in my left foot for some time, and switched to Birkenstocks. The pain went away, until I started wearing other shoes again. I am in the process of returning exclusively to the Birkenstocks to resolve the pain again.

Todd

jonna p on 8/20/02 at 12:10 (092991)

As you will soon find out shoes are a very personal matter. What one loves another just despises. You will just have to go to a walking shoe store and try on until you find one you like. Also it seems to matter if you are flat footed or have a high arch- what helps one may hurt the other. Look for posts on this board from others who have the same problems as you.

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 12:35 (093091)

My physical therapist said that New Balance shoes are wonderful for people with pf / heel spurs. I have also been told to try Birkenstocks. They are available, new, for much less on e-Bay than retail stores. I love my New Balance. Good luck.

bob h on 8/23/02 at 21:39 (093377)

Hi kim,
I can offer you advice that may seem crazy but will end your problems forever. If you can afford to spend a lot more than $100 I would suggest having custom shoes made. Though expensive they will correct any problem you have. You can have new soles or heels put on them and you will get years of use if you only use it for work. In the long run you'll save money, time, energy and feel much better. I guarantee it.
Bob

Todd H. on 8/19/02 at 22:30 (092953)

Tonya, I've had good luck with Birkenstock shoes. I had chronic pf in my left foot for some time, and switched to Birkenstocks. The pain went away, until I started wearing other shoes again. I am in the process of returning exclusively to the Birkenstocks to resolve the pain again.

Todd

jonna p on 8/20/02 at 12:10 (092991)

As you will soon find out shoes are a very personal matter. What one loves another just despises. You will just have to go to a walking shoe store and try on until you find one you like. Also it seems to matter if you are flat footed or have a high arch- what helps one may hurt the other. Look for posts on this board from others who have the same problems as you.

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 12:35 (093091)

My physical therapist said that New Balance shoes are wonderful for people with pf / heel spurs. I have also been told to try Birkenstocks. They are available, new, for much less on e-Bay than retail stores. I love my New Balance. Good luck.

bob h on 8/23/02 at 21:39 (093377)

Hi kim,
I can offer you advice that may seem crazy but will end your problems forever. If you can afford to spend a lot more than $100 I would suggest having custom shoes made. Though expensive they will correct any problem you have. You can have new soles or heels put on them and you will get years of use if you only use it for work. In the long run you'll save money, time, energy and feel much better. I guarantee it.
Bob