Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs

Posted by Al A. on 8/20/02 at 14:57 (093004)

I had developed heel pain about 2 years ago after walking in the city for a day. The pain was so bad I could hardly walk back to my car in the parking lot when we got off the train that night. I went to the Podiatrist and got the X-ray to tell me I had PF. I got the cortisone needle in the foot and the tape. It did initially relieve the pain somewhat, but a month later the pain was back and now my calf muscle was really tight. I did try the stretching which helped very little. Went back a month after that for another needle in the foot. This time it didn't help at all. I got fitted with a pair of arch supports. I've them for 6 months and they've helped some.
I recently heard someone the radio say that heels spurs are a result of a 'calcium deficiency.' I increased my calcium intake to 2000mg per day and quess what; NO MORE FOOT PAIN.
Out of all the posts on this subject no one has ever mentioned nutrition as remedy. It can tell you IT WORKS!
You can't take just any calcium supplement. It's important that it be krebs cycle kelated, and it needs to be calcium citrate NOT calcium carbonate. I recommend you try a product from Body Wise in CA. The product is called 'Essential Calcium.' It also has boron and magnesium which is necessary for good absorption. Their website is http://www.bodywise.com or you can e-mail if you need help. Try it.

Re: Heel Spurs

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 09:11 (093073)

I would be interested to know what your doctor said about the large doses of calcium. I was told this is a precursor to possible kidney stones, but would be willing to try it. Any medical opinions on this?

Carole C in NOLA on 8/21/02 at 21:03 (093161)

Actually, you are wrong when you say, 'Out of all the posts on this subject no one has ever mentioned nutrition as a remedy'. There have been lots of discussions not only of nutrition in general, but of calcium supplementation in particular. Not very many people seem to have found calcium supplementation to be any help at all. Personally I feel that it has helped me a small amount, though I'd put it behind a dozen other types of treatment as far as its effectiveness.

Try searching on 'calcium' using the search function for these message boards.

Carole C

Re: Al

wendyn on 8/21/02 at 22:47 (093171)

Al - why only one particular brand of calcium supplements?

Any particular reason that one wouldn't work as well as the rest?

Are you saying you tried many other types of calcium supplement, and this is the only brand that worked for you?

That's odd.

Sharon H. on 10/01/02 at 17:30 (096635)

I have also heard that large amounts of calcium in men cause kidney stones. Please be careful with those large doses.

Al A. on 11/27/02 at 11:15 (101246)

The calcium product MUST be calcium citrate and be a 'Krebs Cycle Chelated'
product to insure it is absorbed properly and not wind up where it doesn't belong.
Just an update, I'm still doing fine...Zero pain and I'm only wearing inserts every third day. I'm slowly transitioning off of them and the true test will be when I go to Las Vegas next week and start walking 5 miles a day.

Al A. on 11/27/02 at 11:21 (101247)

Body Wise is the BEST! They're only for people seeking RESULTS.
Someone introduced me to them when I was out in CA.
Check out http://www.bodywise.com

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 09:11 (093073)

I would be interested to know what your doctor said about the large doses of calcium. I was told this is a precursor to possible kidney stones, but would be willing to try it. Any medical opinions on this?

Carole C in NOLA on 8/21/02 at 21:03 (093161)

Actually, you are wrong when you say, 'Out of all the posts on this subject no one has ever mentioned nutrition as a remedy'. There have been lots of discussions not only of nutrition in general, but of calcium supplementation in particular. Not very many people seem to have found calcium supplementation to be any help at all. Personally I feel that it has helped me a small amount, though I'd put it behind a dozen other types of treatment as far as its effectiveness.

Try searching on 'calcium' using the search function for these message boards.

Carole C

wendyn on 8/21/02 at 22:47 (093171)

Al - why only one particular brand of calcium supplements?

Any particular reason that one wouldn't work as well as the rest?

Are you saying you tried many other types of calcium supplement, and this is the only brand that worked for you?

That's odd.

Sharon H. on 10/01/02 at 17:30 (096635)

I have also heard that large amounts of calcium in men cause kidney stones. Please be careful with those large doses.

Al A. on 11/27/02 at 11:15 (101246)

The calcium product MUST be calcium citrate and be a 'Krebs Cycle Chelated'
product to insure it is absorbed properly and not wind up where it doesn't belong.
Just an update, I'm still doing fine...Zero pain and I'm only wearing inserts every third day. I'm slowly transitioning off of them and the true test will be when I go to Las Vegas next week and start walking 5 miles a day.

Al A. on 11/27/02 at 11:21 (101247)

Body Wise is the BEST! They're only for people seeking RESULTS.
Someone introduced me to them when I was out in CA.
Check out http://www.bodywise.com