Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercise bike / proper foot positioning / aqua jogger boots

Posted by Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 09:41 (093077)

I have resolved myself to a lengthy recovery from pf/heel spurs. Since I am to avoid all weight-bearing activities in terms of exercise, I have purchased a very good exercise bike. Is there a specific way my foot should be positioned on the pedals to avoid any type of stress on the arch? Also, I purchased an aqua-jogger belt and boots. I have not used these boots yet in the pool. Do you think this is a do or a don't? I want to avoid anything that is going to prolong my misery. Thanks, Kim.

Re: Exercise bike / proper foot positioning / aqua jogger boots

Julie on 8/21/02 at 15:06 (093107)

Kim, a suggestion about jogging in the pool: try it in deep water and don't let your feet touch bottom.

Perhaps others who have tried it will have more to say on this.

Re the bike: I would suggest that you position the pedals at the centre of your feet, not at the balls. Again, others may have more to say on this.

The main thing, Kim, is, follow your PTs wise counsel and USE SOUND JUDGEMENT. That's particularly important for you, as you are the type of person who is likely to overdo - as you know! Take great care, start off with just a few minutes of biking, and see how you feel the next day. Build up gradually. At all times, whatever you are doing, listen to what your feet tell you, respect it, and step back from whatever activitities cause pain.

Mar on 8/21/02 at 18:25 (093135)

Kim -

I agree as did my doctor that putting the center of your feet on the pedals of a bike is the best position, not the balls of the feet.

I also agree that deep water exercise is the best, although my doctor did say walking on the bottom of the pool was good as it stretches the muscles with very little weight bearing. Mar

Julie on 8/22/02 at 02:16 (093180)

I agree with what your doctor says about walking on the bottom of the pool, Mar. For the moment, though, I'm trying to discourage Kim from weight-bearing, period!

Andrue on 8/22/02 at 12:20 (093217)

Re:Cycling.

Be careful - at least two of us here believe that cycling caused our PF in the first place. Admittedly it was by cycling barefoot but it does suggest that transfering the force from ankle to toes through the arch is a bad idea.

http://www.apma.org/sports/cycling.html

My cycling shoes have catches at front and back and I've found that in conjunction with the pedal straps they allow me to push with my heel (which doesn't hurt).

Mar on 8/22/02 at 16:59 (093245)

It seems like everything causes PF!! Good grief!! Mar

Julie on 8/21/02 at 15:06 (093107)

Kim, a suggestion about jogging in the pool: try it in deep water and don't let your feet touch bottom.

Perhaps others who have tried it will have more to say on this.

Re the bike: I would suggest that you position the pedals at the centre of your feet, not at the balls. Again, others may have more to say on this.

The main thing, Kim, is, follow your PTs wise counsel and USE SOUND JUDGEMENT. That's particularly important for you, as you are the type of person who is likely to overdo - as you know! Take great care, start off with just a few minutes of biking, and see how you feel the next day. Build up gradually. At all times, whatever you are doing, listen to what your feet tell you, respect it, and step back from whatever activitities cause pain.

Mar on 8/21/02 at 18:25 (093135)

Kim -

I agree as did my doctor that putting the center of your feet on the pedals of a bike is the best position, not the balls of the feet.

I also agree that deep water exercise is the best, although my doctor did say walking on the bottom of the pool was good as it stretches the muscles with very little weight bearing. Mar

Julie on 8/22/02 at 02:16 (093180)

I agree with what your doctor says about walking on the bottom of the pool, Mar. For the moment, though, I'm trying to discourage Kim from weight-bearing, period!

Andrue on 8/22/02 at 12:20 (093217)

Re:Cycling.

Be careful - at least two of us here believe that cycling caused our PF in the first place. Admittedly it was by cycling barefoot but it does suggest that transfering the force from ankle to toes through the arch is a bad idea.

http://www.apma.org/sports/cycling.html

My cycling shoes have catches at front and back and I've found that in conjunction with the pedal straps they allow me to push with my heel (which doesn't hurt).

Mar on 8/22/02 at 16:59 (093245)

It seems like everything causes PF!! Good grief!! Mar