Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain is worse any ideas

Posted by Carrie on 8/21/02 at 10:29 (093078)

Well I am back to square one again, my pain is worse than ever. I was on my feet allot last week and now I am suffering big time. the pain has now got bad in both feet not just one, I am at my witts end here, I have been icing, resting as much as I can, and wearing Merrel shoes but I am having a major set back here. I just don't know what to do at this point. Does anyone here have any ideas? I have to work there for I cannot completely stay off my feet.

Desperate here.

Carrie

Re: Pain is worse any ideas

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 12:20 (093087)

Carrie, I am no medical expert, but I do have pf and heel spurs. I can tell you that my custom orthotics have helped. I have quit wearing high-heels, including what I call low heels and most people call loafers. I have resolved myself to the fact that I will have to wear my running shoes and orthotics with my suits and dresses until this issue is resolved. My physical therapist suggested New Balance athletic shoes. I bought a new pair yesterday and they are quite comfortable. New Balance seems to have wider toe-box than some others. Also, a number of people on the message board have suggested Birkenstocks. As you know, these are quite expensive, but I ordered a brand new pair off e-Bay for $39.99. Yes, the orthotics have helped. The brand I was fitted for were Amfit. Make sure your technician is qualified and has experience doing this. More suggestions - see your doctor and ask about an anti-inflammatory such as Vioxx or Celebrex. Ice at least three times a day - stretch and do your foot exercises as advised by your doctor or therapist - taping has also helped me support the arch during the day. In fact, I think there are some really great pictures and instructions on this web site. It is incredibly frustrating to be limited physically. I can tell you that the foot massage I had was very painful. I can't say that it helped because I couldn't let her finish. Another treatment I am going through right now is ultrasound 3 times per week and another type of treatment where dexamethasone is 'pushed' into the inflamed area with some type of electric current. I am improving with these therapies. I know some people who have had cortisone shots but I am not ready to do this. You need to see a really good podiatrist or ortho doctor in your area and start a very good regimine. The people on this message board have helped a lot too. Good luck and I hope you start healing soon.

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 12:26 (093090)

Carrie one more suggestion - are you sleeping in a night splint? This also helps me a lot. It takes some getting used to but I have less pain the mornings.

Jenny Y on 8/21/02 at 18:17 (093134)

Being a PF sufferer, I think I have tried all of the conservative treatments. The ones that relieve my pain the best are ( not in any particular order): 1) Night splint - This has made a tremendous difference for me. 2) Stretching - I find that if I heat the muscles I am trying to stretch (either by heating pad or bath prior to stretching then the muscles are easier to elongate. When stretching, go slowly and hold the stretch for 2-3 min. 3) Ice following stretching.
I stretch and ice at least 2x a day. I find I must keep it up even if I start feeling better. If I back off, it starts hurting more.
4) Anti-inflammatories. Different ones work better for different individuals. I have a friend who had great results with Voltarin. 5) Orthotics - I have to use custom orthotics in my shoes. I have found some summer sandals by Merrell Boots that have good arch support. Never go barefoot. 5) Taping has helped me some.

Jim C on 8/21/02 at 19:41 (093141)

Hi Carrie,
I hear your frustration, this condition can be Oh so very frustrating, I've been there and done that.
I would think that if you are getting worse that something is causing it, and you did make the connection between being on your feet all week and now paying the price. You obviously have a job where you have to be on your feet alot, I feel for you because that can be a hard thing to overcome. I have a job that requires me to be on my feet also and what I have done is to look at everything that I can do to rest my feet, even if it is just for a few seconds, If you can find enough little breaks for your feet it will add up through out the day. I learned that alot of what I was doing could be done sitting down, though not always convenient. I also learned to stand in a way that kept the pressure off my heels. I also bought some of those cushy heel pads at the drug store, they helped alot. You also can ice and elevate your feet on your breaks, as much as time allows. And, after a bad day, come home and do nothing but pamper your feet the rest of the night with rest, Ice, elevation and massage in a attempt to make up for the day. I would also talk to your Boss about it and see if they can be accomadating, perhaps light duty. One thing I did this past weekend was to take 4 days vacation just to rest my feet, kept them elevated and with plenty of NSAIDS by the 4th day I was virtually pain free.
When I'm frusterated/stressed out my feet hurt worse, it's so important to keep a positive attitude. What helps me mentaly and emotionaly is to simply have a plan of action. I have made a list of all possible treatments that I can do and incorporate what works into my daily routine. And if I have a set back, I try my best to keep a positive attitude and rest, rest and rest some more until I get back to where I was. It also helps to talk about it with someone who knows what you going through, nothing like having support as this conditon can be so frustrating emotionaly.

Good Luck, You will get better!!!

Jim C.

Re: It can get worse than desperate

BrianG on 8/21/02 at 20:43 (093158)

Hi Carrie,

A few years back, I was standing in your very same shoes. My heels hurt to the point of almost nightly tears. I too thought I could never give up my work. I continued to work, on hard concrete surfaces, some with light industrial carpet. I went out on short term disability for 4 months. I was no better, but just had to go back to work, against my doctors wishes. I blew my chance for workman's comp.

Well, I'm now paying for my hard headedness. I finally got to a point where I could not work, period. I'm now on SSD, with very little chance of returning to work. I get enough to live on, but not much more.

I just wanted to run my story by you, so that you will realize that PF came become disabeling! There are people on this forum in wheel chairs. So, think about your future, learn from those of us who didn't, or couldn't. I'd be looking for another job, if I had it to do over again. You can make the change if you put your mind to it!!

Good luck
BrianG

PS: What kind of job do you have?

carrie on 8/22/02 at 09:49 (093201)

I feel bad for your situation but I cannot give up my job, I am trained for what I do and there is not another choice for me. I am a medical secretary in a busy hospital. I also would like to know what I am supposed to do about the fact that I need to work out or I go insane and that is not an understatement. Right now I can swim but of course getting to the pool requires walking as does everything else. I am not giving up though, I am tough and have been through this before, I had this for 2 years before I got rid of it, it was totally gone, the funny thing is that I don't know what I did exactly to get rid of it ha ha. I only know I did it, it was gone for 4 months before it came back, so I know there is always hope. I sit allot at work but I do get up allot too, it does not involve standing, so I am pretty lucky, and when people ask me to do extra stuff like push a bed, take a patient back from surgery etc, I always tell them no, i cannot. I also make sure that I do more things sitting that standing, but last week the trip I went on made it worse, walking through airports and standing allot at the convention we were at made things bad right now.

I wonder if you ahve tried the ossa tron or what other treatments that you may consider to help you with your situation?

THanks again,
Carrie

carrie on 8/22/02 at 09:56 (093202)

I like your attitude about this and most of the time I share it too! But there are always those moments of total complete frustration you guys know what I mean right? Anyhow I think that I am pretty lucky because I don't actually have to stand all day at work, I am up and down allot but not actually standing like if I was an RN or the nurses aides that are always on their feet. I work in a hospital and this is what I do, I have been doing it for over 10 years and love it, I need to work, if I sat around at home I would go crazy so yeah even if I had to use a wheelchair that would be better than sitting around at home, but the thing is I am an active person, I love to exercise and lift weights, pilates, yoga biking etc, it is hard so hard to slow down, I also love to travel and up till now I have been on several trips a year, so this is really hard to handle. I also know that I brought this on myslef, trip to San Francisco in big high heel wooden shoes, walking around malls and other places etc, then joggin on treadmill everyday that week like 20 miles EEK! I am paying for it now.

I have been taping, icing, having foot rubs that I think are good, not to hard but enough to feel better after them, resting as much as I can, doing different things such as swimming instead of running etc. BUt right now I am just in so much pain! I had the cortisone shot and that did nothing so I don't want another one, it hurt way too much for the relief I got from it.

My inlaws brought over this little machine they call it, I am wondering if anyone has heard of it? It is this little thing that you kind of shock yourself with, they swear it will cure me. I am using it and swear it seems to have helped in only one hour! Could this be possible?

anyhow I am rambling away, but I wanted to tell you that I think your idea is great and allot better than giving up or being a quitter. I will hopefully be better sometime soon and then be able to help others too.

TOday I am going to be fitted for orthotics, I hope that this will help.

Carrie

Re: Pain is worse any ideas" I found this great method, LOOK"!!

Sue M. on 8/22/02 at 14:13 (093233)

I have PF real bad and take voltaren every day. I marched in a Drum and Bugle Corps for 14 years. PF started 3 years ago I am 45. I also use orthotics and spen alot on tennis shoes.Saucony and asics. I have tried this method especially at night while sleeping and in the morning .If you do it right It works so well you wont believe it. It is such a cheap alternative. Make sure your foot is clean (wipe with alcohol) Ater applying the tape you should walk to make sure tape is affixed well and you can feel the tension pulling muscles together. It works well when walking. I have also used the same tape 2 days in a row, after a shower I put it back on. I weigh 230 lbs. Here is the web site.
http://heelspurs.com/index.html , Then click on TAPE then click on
'Here are pictures of my favorite and simplest method.' I also do the calf exercises. It works for me I hope it will help others. Thank you Scott Roberts. Sue

BrianG on 8/22/02 at 22:05 (093277)

I tried it all Carrie, from rest, ice, taping, to Prolotherapy, surgery and Dornier ESWT. A 2nd ESWT treatment may work, other than that, I'm a candidate for a miracle!! I really hope that you can work through it, I couldn't.

Good luck
BrianG

PS Aren't their medical receptionists that work from their home? Or am I thinking of transcriptionists?

carrie on 8/23/02 at 10:49 (093321)

Brain

For me it isn't just the money that I go to work for, it is about interacting with others and getting out of the house and feeling like a useful and contributing human being. I find working on the busy surgical orthopedic floor at the hospital very rewarding. I have been an ICU secretary for 4 years. When I moved I immediately got hired at this hospital in the post op unit and I love it. We are super busy, I admit all the patients and do all the discharges, transcribe all the orders, basically I run the desk and it is a hard and busy and rewarding job. I also interact with the nurses and Dr's and patients and relatives. THere is no home transcription job that would allow me to do those things. Even if I had to go to work in a wheelchair it would be better than sitting at home transcribing some boring medical papers. I just cannot see myself doing that. I understand that maybe your situation is different than mine but I am much too much of a people person to stay home.

anyhow I am sorry that your suffering and unable to work. I just pray that I never get to that point, but if I do, I will always try to find a way to keep my job.

hugs
Carrie

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 12:20 (093087)

Carrie, I am no medical expert, but I do have pf and heel spurs. I can tell you that my custom orthotics have helped. I have quit wearing high-heels, including what I call low heels and most people call loafers. I have resolved myself to the fact that I will have to wear my running shoes and orthotics with my suits and dresses until this issue is resolved. My physical therapist suggested New Balance athletic shoes. I bought a new pair yesterday and they are quite comfortable. New Balance seems to have wider toe-box than some others. Also, a number of people on the message board have suggested Birkenstocks. As you know, these are quite expensive, but I ordered a brand new pair off e-Bay for $39.99. Yes, the orthotics have helped. The brand I was fitted for were Amfit. Make sure your technician is qualified and has experience doing this. More suggestions - see your doctor and ask about an anti-inflammatory such as Vioxx or Celebrex. Ice at least three times a day - stretch and do your foot exercises as advised by your doctor or therapist - taping has also helped me support the arch during the day. In fact, I think there are some really great pictures and instructions on this web site. It is incredibly frustrating to be limited physically. I can tell you that the foot massage I had was very painful. I can't say that it helped because I couldn't let her finish. Another treatment I am going through right now is ultrasound 3 times per week and another type of treatment where dexamethasone is 'pushed' into the inflamed area with some type of electric current. I am improving with these therapies. I know some people who have had cortisone shots but I am not ready to do this. You need to see a really good podiatrist or ortho doctor in your area and start a very good regimine. The people on this message board have helped a lot too. Good luck and I hope you start healing soon.

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 12:26 (093090)

Carrie one more suggestion - are you sleeping in a night splint? This also helps me a lot. It takes some getting used to but I have less pain the mornings.

Jenny Y on 8/21/02 at 18:17 (093134)

Being a PF sufferer, I think I have tried all of the conservative treatments. The ones that relieve my pain the best are ( not in any particular order): 1) Night splint - This has made a tremendous difference for me. 2) Stretching - I find that if I heat the muscles I am trying to stretch (either by heating pad or bath prior to stretching then the muscles are easier to elongate. When stretching, go slowly and hold the stretch for 2-3 min. 3) Ice following stretching.
I stretch and ice at least 2x a day. I find I must keep it up even if I start feeling better. If I back off, it starts hurting more.
4) Anti-inflammatories. Different ones work better for different individuals. I have a friend who had great results with Voltarin. 5) Orthotics - I have to use custom orthotics in my shoes. I have found some summer sandals by Merrell Boots that have good arch support. Never go barefoot. 5) Taping has helped me some.

Jim C on 8/21/02 at 19:41 (093141)

Hi Carrie,
I hear your frustration, this condition can be Oh so very frustrating, I've been there and done that.
I would think that if you are getting worse that something is causing it, and you did make the connection between being on your feet all week and now paying the price. You obviously have a job where you have to be on your feet alot, I feel for you because that can be a hard thing to overcome. I have a job that requires me to be on my feet also and what I have done is to look at everything that I can do to rest my feet, even if it is just for a few seconds, If you can find enough little breaks for your feet it will add up through out the day. I learned that alot of what I was doing could be done sitting down, though not always convenient. I also learned to stand in a way that kept the pressure off my heels. I also bought some of those cushy heel pads at the drug store, they helped alot. You also can ice and elevate your feet on your breaks, as much as time allows. And, after a bad day, come home and do nothing but pamper your feet the rest of the night with rest, Ice, elevation and massage in a attempt to make up for the day. I would also talk to your Boss about it and see if they can be accomadating, perhaps light duty. One thing I did this past weekend was to take 4 days vacation just to rest my feet, kept them elevated and with plenty of NSAIDS by the 4th day I was virtually pain free.
When I'm frusterated/stressed out my feet hurt worse, it's so important to keep a positive attitude. What helps me mentaly and emotionaly is to simply have a plan of action. I have made a list of all possible treatments that I can do and incorporate what works into my daily routine. And if I have a set back, I try my best to keep a positive attitude and rest, rest and rest some more until I get back to where I was. It also helps to talk about it with someone who knows what you going through, nothing like having support as this conditon can be so frustrating emotionaly.

Good Luck, You will get better!!!

Jim C.

BrianG on 8/21/02 at 20:43 (093158)

Hi Carrie,

A few years back, I was standing in your very same shoes. My heels hurt to the point of almost nightly tears. I too thought I could never give up my work. I continued to work, on hard concrete surfaces, some with light industrial carpet. I went out on short term disability for 4 months. I was no better, but just had to go back to work, against my doctors wishes. I blew my chance for workman's comp.

Well, I'm now paying for my hard headedness. I finally got to a point where I could not work, period. I'm now on SSD, with very little chance of returning to work. I get enough to live on, but not much more.

I just wanted to run my story by you, so that you will realize that PF came become disabeling! There are people on this forum in wheel chairs. So, think about your future, learn from those of us who didn't, or couldn't. I'd be looking for another job, if I had it to do over again. You can make the change if you put your mind to it!!

Good luck
BrianG

PS: What kind of job do you have?

carrie on 8/22/02 at 09:49 (093201)

I feel bad for your situation but I cannot give up my job, I am trained for what I do and there is not another choice for me. I am a medical secretary in a busy hospital. I also would like to know what I am supposed to do about the fact that I need to work out or I go insane and that is not an understatement. Right now I can swim but of course getting to the pool requires walking as does everything else. I am not giving up though, I am tough and have been through this before, I had this for 2 years before I got rid of it, it was totally gone, the funny thing is that I don't know what I did exactly to get rid of it ha ha. I only know I did it, it was gone for 4 months before it came back, so I know there is always hope. I sit allot at work but I do get up allot too, it does not involve standing, so I am pretty lucky, and when people ask me to do extra stuff like push a bed, take a patient back from surgery etc, I always tell them no, i cannot. I also make sure that I do more things sitting that standing, but last week the trip I went on made it worse, walking through airports and standing allot at the convention we were at made things bad right now.

I wonder if you ahve tried the ossa tron or what other treatments that you may consider to help you with your situation?

THanks again,
Carrie

carrie on 8/22/02 at 09:56 (093202)

I like your attitude about this and most of the time I share it too! But there are always those moments of total complete frustration you guys know what I mean right? Anyhow I think that I am pretty lucky because I don't actually have to stand all day at work, I am up and down allot but not actually standing like if I was an RN or the nurses aides that are always on their feet. I work in a hospital and this is what I do, I have been doing it for over 10 years and love it, I need to work, if I sat around at home I would go crazy so yeah even if I had to use a wheelchair that would be better than sitting around at home, but the thing is I am an active person, I love to exercise and lift weights, pilates, yoga biking etc, it is hard so hard to slow down, I also love to travel and up till now I have been on several trips a year, so this is really hard to handle. I also know that I brought this on myslef, trip to San Francisco in big high heel wooden shoes, walking around malls and other places etc, then joggin on treadmill everyday that week like 20 miles EEK! I am paying for it now.

I have been taping, icing, having foot rubs that I think are good, not to hard but enough to feel better after them, resting as much as I can, doing different things such as swimming instead of running etc. BUt right now I am just in so much pain! I had the cortisone shot and that did nothing so I don't want another one, it hurt way too much for the relief I got from it.

My inlaws brought over this little machine they call it, I am wondering if anyone has heard of it? It is this little thing that you kind of shock yourself with, they swear it will cure me. I am using it and swear it seems to have helped in only one hour! Could this be possible?

anyhow I am rambling away, but I wanted to tell you that I think your idea is great and allot better than giving up or being a quitter. I will hopefully be better sometime soon and then be able to help others too.

TOday I am going to be fitted for orthotics, I hope that this will help.

Carrie

Re: Pain is worse any ideas" I found this great method, LOOK"!!

Sue M. on 8/22/02 at 14:13 (093233)

I have PF real bad and take voltaren every day. I marched in a Drum and Bugle Corps for 14 years. PF started 3 years ago I am 45. I also use orthotics and spen alot on tennis shoes.Saucony and asics. I have tried this method especially at night while sleeping and in the morning .If you do it right It works so well you wont believe it. It is such a cheap alternative. Make sure your foot is clean (wipe with alcohol) Ater applying the tape you should walk to make sure tape is affixed well and you can feel the tension pulling muscles together. It works well when walking. I have also used the same tape 2 days in a row, after a shower I put it back on. I weigh 230 lbs. Here is the web site.
http://heelspurs.com/index.html , Then click on TAPE then click on
'Here are pictures of my favorite and simplest method.' I also do the calf exercises. It works for me I hope it will help others. Thank you Scott Roberts. Sue

BrianG on 8/22/02 at 22:05 (093277)

I tried it all Carrie, from rest, ice, taping, to Prolotherapy, surgery and Dornier ESWT. A 2nd ESWT treatment may work, other than that, I'm a candidate for a miracle!! I really hope that you can work through it, I couldn't.

Good luck
BrianG

PS Aren't their medical receptionists that work from their home? Or am I thinking of transcriptionists?

carrie on 8/23/02 at 10:49 (093321)

Brain

For me it isn't just the money that I go to work for, it is about interacting with others and getting out of the house and feeling like a useful and contributing human being. I find working on the busy surgical orthopedic floor at the hospital very rewarding. I have been an ICU secretary for 4 years. When I moved I immediately got hired at this hospital in the post op unit and I love it. We are super busy, I admit all the patients and do all the discharges, transcribe all the orders, basically I run the desk and it is a hard and busy and rewarding job. I also interact with the nurses and Dr's and patients and relatives. THere is no home transcription job that would allow me to do those things. Even if I had to go to work in a wheelchair it would be better than sitting at home transcribing some boring medical papers. I just cannot see myself doing that. I understand that maybe your situation is different than mine but I am much too much of a people person to stay home.

anyhow I am sorry that your suffering and unable to work. I just pray that I never get to that point, but if I do, I will always try to find a way to keep my job.

hugs
Carrie