Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Both Feet

Posted by Carrie on 8/21/02 at 10:30 (093081)

How many of you have this in both feet and how do you cope with daily life when you can hardly walk?

Re: Both Feet

Paula G. on 8/21/02 at 14:05 (093104)

Carrie, I have suffered with it in both feet for several years. Strange thing is, the heel spur in my right foot was at least 2x larger than in left foot, but I had more pain in left foot.
I had no luck with orthotics. They made my feet worse. Some treatments work for some, others for other people. I had surgery on my left foot coming up on a year now and am glad I had it done. the doctor also found nerve entrapment when he opened my heel. It was like, ha, ha, I told you I had a lot of pain!
As far as every day life. You just have to learn to be kind to those feet. To put them up and rest as much as possible. Have good support shoes. I would have given anything to have those cute sandle shoes and heel shoes my friends were wearing...
Also, finding a pain medication that will help you cope helps. When I went to the stores, I would use the elecric wheelchairs and such. I was not proud when it came to pain. I didn't care what others thought.
What treatments have you had so far? I ended up I was treated for over a year with everything from night splints to cortizone shots. I hope and pray something other than surgery will work for you.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/21/02 at 16:46 (093127)

Carrie, I have PF in both feet that I got last September 22nd, although I'm almost completely healed by now. But I'll never forget how awful it was.

Coping with daily life was easier for me than for some people, because I live alone and have no kids to care for.

Food - - Since I couldn't do much grocery shopping, I got my dinner at drive through restaurants a lot (Wendy's and Subway, so that I wouldn't gain too much weight).

Laundry - - I couldn't lift a laundry basket, so I tied a rope to it and dragged it to the washer when it was full. My sofa is only a few feet from my washer in my small apartment. So, I made that sofa my 'clothes center' and dragged the basket full of clean clothes to the sofa, where I could sit and sort. I didn't put them away, and instead dressed there. All of this was to minimize my walking and lifting of a heavy laundry basket.

Cleaning - - To be frank, I didn't do it for a month or two. My apartment was a real pig-pen, but my feet made genuine progress towards recovery. Now I can clean all I want and nobody would ever know what my apartment looked like last December.

Errands - - I didn't run them. For a long time, my greatest desire was to just be able to go to Wal-Mart. Eventually I could do that.

Depression - - These message board were like a lifeline for me and got me through this most hideous and miserable time.

I hope this helps. Keep posting and ask about specific problems in coping with daily life if that would help. If you have small children, I have no answers for you but I have a lot of sympathy.

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 8/21/02 at 19:24 (093139)

Hi Carole C~! I remember your dinners from Wendy's & such enroute home from work......I remember you writing about them & smiled; as I & my hubby ate at a local diner alot last winter due to my feet. I 'budgeted' my feet usage & my job was more than the budget actually permitted....BUT! I, too, as you - are much improved. I am doing sooo much more; but still there are DAYS! I also recall your couch/laundry center! Oh, we all have some tales to tell I am sure.....but I am grateful that we are still sounding off on this board & now, sounding out that we are steadily improving. I wish you well! & I hope that others who are at the 'worst' part of pf - can see that there is hope for recovering - slow but sure!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/21/02 at 20:00 (093145)

Absolutely, Rachael! I should hasten to point out to everyone that I, like you, have recovered considerably.

In fact, I'm going to move next week, just because I want to. Moving is quite a challenge for someone who couldn't even carry a laundry basket eight months ago. In June I started looking for a house to buy, in July I found a very nice one near work, and on Friday it will be mine. This week I'm packing my things in boxes, and since I don't use them any more I even packed up my drawer full of 'foot things' ( tape, gel heel pads, arch supports, insoles, and lots more). I have hired three strong men and a truck to take everything to my new home next week.

When I was in a lot of pain, it was difficult to believe that I would ever be able to take part in my normal life again. Now, I am leading a normal life although I still wear New Balance and Birkenstock, and I still stretch when I need it and ice now and then.

Ironically, my new house has the washer and dryer in a closet in the hall right outside the master bedroom, so I probably won't have to carry a laundry basket. But I could if I needed to! LOL

The people at Wendy's don't know who I am any more! Their chili and salads are okay, but it's great to be able to eat other kinds of food for dinner. :)

Carole C

Paula G. on 8/21/02 at 14:05 (093104)

Carrie, I have suffered with it in both feet for several years. Strange thing is, the heel spur in my right foot was at least 2x larger than in left foot, but I had more pain in left foot.
I had no luck with orthotics. They made my feet worse. Some treatments work for some, others for other people. I had surgery on my left foot coming up on a year now and am glad I had it done. the doctor also found nerve entrapment when he opened my heel. It was like, ha, ha, I told you I had a lot of pain!
As far as every day life. You just have to learn to be kind to those feet. To put them up and rest as much as possible. Have good support shoes. I would have given anything to have those cute sandle shoes and heel shoes my friends were wearing...
Also, finding a pain medication that will help you cope helps. When I went to the stores, I would use the elecric wheelchairs and such. I was not proud when it came to pain. I didn't care what others thought.
What treatments have you had so far? I ended up I was treated for over a year with everything from night splints to cortizone shots. I hope and pray something other than surgery will work for you.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/21/02 at 16:46 (093127)

Carrie, I have PF in both feet that I got last September 22nd, although I'm almost completely healed by now. But I'll never forget how awful it was.

Coping with daily life was easier for me than for some people, because I live alone and have no kids to care for.

Food - - Since I couldn't do much grocery shopping, I got my dinner at drive through restaurants a lot (Wendy's and Subway, so that I wouldn't gain too much weight).

Laundry - - I couldn't lift a laundry basket, so I tied a rope to it and dragged it to the washer when it was full. My sofa is only a few feet from my washer in my small apartment. So, I made that sofa my 'clothes center' and dragged the basket full of clean clothes to the sofa, where I could sit and sort. I didn't put them away, and instead dressed there. All of this was to minimize my walking and lifting of a heavy laundry basket.

Cleaning - - To be frank, I didn't do it for a month or two. My apartment was a real pig-pen, but my feet made genuine progress towards recovery. Now I can clean all I want and nobody would ever know what my apartment looked like last December.

Errands - - I didn't run them. For a long time, my greatest desire was to just be able to go to Wal-Mart. Eventually I could do that.

Depression - - These message board were like a lifeline for me and got me through this most hideous and miserable time.

I hope this helps. Keep posting and ask about specific problems in coping with daily life if that would help. If you have small children, I have no answers for you but I have a lot of sympathy.

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 8/21/02 at 19:24 (093139)

Hi Carole C~! I remember your dinners from Wendy's & such enroute home from work......I remember you writing about them & smiled; as I & my hubby ate at a local diner alot last winter due to my feet. I 'budgeted' my feet usage & my job was more than the budget actually permitted....BUT! I, too, as you - are much improved. I am doing sooo much more; but still there are DAYS! I also recall your couch/laundry center! Oh, we all have some tales to tell I am sure.....but I am grateful that we are still sounding off on this board & now, sounding out that we are steadily improving. I wish you well! & I hope that others who are at the 'worst' part of pf - can see that there is hope for recovering - slow but sure!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/21/02 at 20:00 (093145)

Absolutely, Rachael! I should hasten to point out to everyone that I, like you, have recovered considerably.

In fact, I'm going to move next week, just because I want to. Moving is quite a challenge for someone who couldn't even carry a laundry basket eight months ago. In June I started looking for a house to buy, in July I found a very nice one near work, and on Friday it will be mine. This week I'm packing my things in boxes, and since I don't use them any more I even packed up my drawer full of 'foot things' ( tape, gel heel pads, arch supports, insoles, and lots more). I have hired three strong men and a truck to take everything to my new home next week.

When I was in a lot of pain, it was difficult to believe that I would ever be able to take part in my normal life again. Now, I am leading a normal life although I still wear New Balance and Birkenstock, and I still stretch when I need it and ice now and then.

Ironically, my new house has the washer and dryer in a closet in the hall right outside the master bedroom, so I probably won't have to carry a laundry basket. But I could if I needed to! LOL

The people at Wendy's don't know who I am any more! Their chili and salads are okay, but it's great to be able to eat other kinds of food for dinner. :)

Carole C