Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoe options for the work place

Posted by Ruth K on 8/21/02 at 13:32 (093100)

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading the postings on this site. I have gotten some great information and more options about shoes. What I need is a shoe for work that is not an atheltic shoe. I need a shoe that could be worn with business suits. Any suggestions? I would appreciate the advice from those who have had so much experience. I currently wear SAS. Thanks.

Re: Shoe options for the work place

Carole C in NOLA on 8/21/02 at 16:24 (093121)

SAS is what I had to wear at formal business meetings until my PF got better. I wore a pair of SAS Free Time's in black nubuck, with black or dark navy pants suits. The Free Time's were all right, although I would have worn something dressier before. The pants on my pants suits are just a little bit too long, so while standing no one could see the black or navy socks that I wore.

Another option might be Dansko clogs. I've never tried them but they are popular among people at these message boards.

Here's a trick that I felt really helped at my meetings. I wore a bright (but tasteful) blue green scarf with my plain black pants suit, and pinned the scarf with an interesting silver and turquoise pin. It seemed like that drew peoples' attention away from my feet.

I hope this helps because it's a tough problem.

Carole C

Ruth K on 8/21/02 at 20:42 (093157)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out the Dansko Clogs.

Kim R. on 8/22/02 at 16:23 (093242)

I have to wear suits every day. I have said to heck with it. I bought a pair of New Balance 764 running shoes, tossed out the hose and wear the shoes, my orthotics and white crew socks with my suits. You would be surprised how sympathetic my customers are and how many other people in the world admit to feet issues, once they see me hobbling around. I am going to try some Aerosole low-heel loafer types once I quit limping and hurting. My mother recommends ECCO and she has feet problems. They have some cute dressy types (look on e-Bay because they are expensive). I like Aerosoles. I have worn them in the past and they are really stylish, even the flats.

Ruth K on 8/22/02 at 21:45 (093275)

I used to wear Aersoles all the time but am hesitant to try again as my foot is still tender after a few hours of 'regular' shoe wearing. I do think the comment (on a previous message response)about buying shoes more often is probably a good thought. I think I had my Aersoles for a couple of years-so you know they couldn't have had much support left in them. Thanks for the suggestions-I'll try ebay.

Julie on 8/23/02 at 01:49 (093282)

Kim

Good for you. I've been reading all your posts, and it sounds as though you've taken the PF bull by the horns. You'll heal! I'm impressed with your trainers-with-suits-for-work decision: it shows independence and courage. It's also going to be helpful to others, though you may not have thought of that. By 'coming out', acknowledging you have a foot problem, and explaining it to the people you come in contact with, you're informing people about PF. That may save some of them a lot of grief in future.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 07:54 (093295)

I almost always agree with our wise and very highly esteemed Julie, but in this instance I don't and I'd like to present an alternate point of view.

I think every single person on this thread (including Ruth) has agreed that wearing 'PF shoes' at work just has to be done. I think it's just as brave for Ruth to be looking into Dansko's as New Balance or anything else. She's brave enough to wear whatever she has to wear in order to spare her feet excessive pain.

Is the 'bravery' in deciding whether or not to spread the word about PF on company time? Depending on the type of job, she simply may not have the option of spreading the word about PF or anything else at work and still adequately perform her job. In some jobs that's perfectly OK, but in other jobs it's not possible.

I think Ruth is brave too. She's brave enough to look for a solution that will cause her no extra pain.

Carole C

elliott on 8/23/02 at 08:35 (093304)

I may have another suggestion to offer next week if you can wait till then.

----

Julie on 8/23/02 at 16:29 (093348)

Right you are, Carole. I agree with what you say. Yes, of course Ruth is brave, too. Everyone is, who has PF and is attempting to find a solution thatg is appropriate for his or her circumstances.

I was really responding only to Kim's post, neglecting Ruth's question. Kim's spunkiness and willingness to call attention to her feet impressed me. I think it's useful to give information about plantar fasciitis to people who may never have heard of it and who, when they get it (as some undoubtedly will) may remember what they've been told, and seek help quickly.

But I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't respect Ruth's decisions too, and I'm sorry if I did.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 18:56 (093366)

Elliott, we can hardly wait. Maybe we can't wait! We are dying of suspense!

But if you must maintain your secrecy, then we will just HAVE to wait.

I would assume that you will tell us the shoe if it works. But then, why not tell us the shoe if it doesn't work? That would be helpful too. Either way, your post will help people who might be thinking of buying that shoe.

Wasn't that persuasive? (grin)

Carole C

Noreen H on 8/24/02 at 10:57 (093405)

I've been wearing the Marathon by Soft Spots. I have them in brown and black nubuck and also beige leather. I wear them with pants and pants suits to work. They feel pretty good with Powerstep orthotics in them. However, I really can't wear my skirts with them...ugh!!! I've been reading about a lot of people finding the Birkenstock sandals to be comfortable. I haven't tried any sandals as my MD says I need a 'supportive' shoe. My pain is primarly in my arches and I overpronate. Do those of you who wear sandals find them to support your foot?

Carole C in NOLA on 8/21/02 at 16:24 (093121)

SAS is what I had to wear at formal business meetings until my PF got better. I wore a pair of SAS Free Time's in black nubuck, with black or dark navy pants suits. The Free Time's were all right, although I would have worn something dressier before. The pants on my pants suits are just a little bit too long, so while standing no one could see the black or navy socks that I wore.

Another option might be Dansko clogs. I've never tried them but they are popular among people at these message boards.

Here's a trick that I felt really helped at my meetings. I wore a bright (but tasteful) blue green scarf with my plain black pants suit, and pinned the scarf with an interesting silver and turquoise pin. It seemed like that drew peoples' attention away from my feet.

I hope this helps because it's a tough problem.

Carole C

Ruth K on 8/21/02 at 20:42 (093157)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out the Dansko Clogs.

Kim R. on 8/22/02 at 16:23 (093242)

I have to wear suits every day. I have said to heck with it. I bought a pair of New Balance 764 running shoes, tossed out the hose and wear the shoes, my orthotics and white crew socks with my suits. You would be surprised how sympathetic my customers are and how many other people in the world admit to feet issues, once they see me hobbling around. I am going to try some Aerosole low-heel loafer types once I quit limping and hurting. My mother recommends ECCO and she has feet problems. They have some cute dressy types (look on e-Bay because they are expensive). I like Aerosoles. I have worn them in the past and they are really stylish, even the flats.

Ruth K on 8/22/02 at 21:45 (093275)

I used to wear Aersoles all the time but am hesitant to try again as my foot is still tender after a few hours of 'regular' shoe wearing. I do think the comment (on a previous message response)about buying shoes more often is probably a good thought. I think I had my Aersoles for a couple of years-so you know they couldn't have had much support left in them. Thanks for the suggestions-I'll try ebay.

Julie on 8/23/02 at 01:49 (093282)

Kim

Good for you. I've been reading all your posts, and it sounds as though you've taken the PF bull by the horns. You'll heal! I'm impressed with your trainers-with-suits-for-work decision: it shows independence and courage. It's also going to be helpful to others, though you may not have thought of that. By 'coming out', acknowledging you have a foot problem, and explaining it to the people you come in contact with, you're informing people about PF. That may save some of them a lot of grief in future.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 07:54 (093295)

I almost always agree with our wise and very highly esteemed Julie, but in this instance I don't and I'd like to present an alternate point of view.

I think every single person on this thread (including Ruth) has agreed that wearing 'PF shoes' at work just has to be done. I think it's just as brave for Ruth to be looking into Dansko's as New Balance or anything else. She's brave enough to wear whatever she has to wear in order to spare her feet excessive pain.

Is the 'bravery' in deciding whether or not to spread the word about PF on company time? Depending on the type of job, she simply may not have the option of spreading the word about PF or anything else at work and still adequately perform her job. In some jobs that's perfectly OK, but in other jobs it's not possible.

I think Ruth is brave too. She's brave enough to look for a solution that will cause her no extra pain.

Carole C

elliott on 8/23/02 at 08:35 (093304)

I may have another suggestion to offer next week if you can wait till then.

----

Julie on 8/23/02 at 16:29 (093348)

Right you are, Carole. I agree with what you say. Yes, of course Ruth is brave, too. Everyone is, who has PF and is attempting to find a solution thatg is appropriate for his or her circumstances.

I was really responding only to Kim's post, neglecting Ruth's question. Kim's spunkiness and willingness to call attention to her feet impressed me. I think it's useful to give information about plantar fasciitis to people who may never have heard of it and who, when they get it (as some undoubtedly will) may remember what they've been told, and seek help quickly.

But I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't respect Ruth's decisions too, and I'm sorry if I did.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 18:56 (093366)

Elliott, we can hardly wait. Maybe we can't wait! We are dying of suspense!

But if you must maintain your secrecy, then we will just HAVE to wait.

I would assume that you will tell us the shoe if it works. But then, why not tell us the shoe if it doesn't work? That would be helpful too. Either way, your post will help people who might be thinking of buying that shoe.

Wasn't that persuasive? (grin)

Carole C

Noreen H on 8/24/02 at 10:57 (093405)

I've been wearing the Marathon by Soft Spots. I have them in brown and black nubuck and also beige leather. I wear them with pants and pants suits to work. They feel pretty good with Powerstep orthotics in them. However, I really can't wear my skirts with them...ugh!!! I've been reading about a lot of people finding the Birkenstock sandals to be comfortable. I haven't tried any sandals as my MD says I need a 'supportive' shoe. My pain is primarly in my arches and I overpronate. Do those of you who wear sandals find them to support your foot?