Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recently diagnosed with TTS

Posted by Lisa M on 8/22/02 at 10:56 (093208)

Six months ago I had bilateral Plantar Fascia Release with Neuroma Removal.This was very successful however, I developed extreme pain in my heels that wasn't there before the operation. I went through several therapy sessions which did not improve the pain. On my next visit to my podiatrist, he decided to send me to a neurologist to determine what was causing the pain. The neurologist informed me as soon as he finished the test that I had severe TTS in both feet.I went back to my podiatrist for a follow up on this test. Now I am taking the Nerontin 400mg four times a day for two weeks. He feels that if the medication is going to help in any way it will within that length of time. If not, then we need to discuss another operation. I am in a great deal of pain, and my family is suffering from this also. I have been out of work already for six months and possibly 12 more weeks. I am uncertain what to do. Should I get another opinion? I really have confidence in this podiatrist. My husband is really getting frustrated that I am having to deal with so much pain. And I really think his frustration is more on having to except the fact that I am ignoring a lot of my housework. I don't want my family to suffer for my neglagence in this matter. Any suggestions? Help!

Re: Recently diagnosed with TTS

KathyB on 8/23/02 at 11:35 (093329)

There are a lot of different drug thearpies that might work. Neurontin by itself did not work for me, I am now on a mix of Neurontin and Topamax. This has kept me 85% pain free for the last two months. I still need to have orthortics made to help my foot. I would get some good pain killers. Your docotor should have given you some on your last visit, no one should be in pain. If he did not, call him and get them now. As for your housework, don't worrry about it, if it hasn't been done in six months it can wait a little longer. You need to take care of your self first, you can not take care of anyone else if you are not whole. Don't worry about your family, they can take care of themselves. Tell them to divide up the chores and do it themselves and help out until you are able to get back on your feet (no pun intended) This is not neglagence, you can not take care of any one else until else until you take care of yourself first!!!!!!!! I had to learn that the hard way to. Also don't forget to do your streching, light, simple streching to keep everything working. Yoga works very well.

Lisa M on 8/23/02 at 15:38 (093345)

Thank you Kathy for your response.The dr. did give me pain killers.I two children ages 11 and 7 so I have to be careful when I have to pick them up from school. My mother helps me a lot with them but, she is not in good health herself. When I take them with the Neurontin all I want to do is sleep. Which is good in a way.I also have a friend that is coming by maybe twice a week and helping me out in the house. Still it is not my normal routine. I know that I have to be patient in getting things done around the house. I have had a hard time getting my husband to be patient tho. I insisted that he go with me to this last visit with the Neurologist. Somehow I believe he now understands a little bit more. Some men have a hard time understanding the pain we go through with. I was beginning to think he thought this was a game with me but now he knows the truth and he is starting to help out more than he has. My sister was diagnosed with Fibroymialga around 3-4 years ago and I have an aunt with Lupus. Some of the symptoms with both of them are in my list of symptoms. My sister wants me to have the drs. to check for both of those to be on the safe side. The pain is also in my legs and back which can also be caused from the TTS. I want this to be over with now and I know it is going to take time. If the medication doesn't work for me I know he is going to suggest the surgery and I am just a little hesitant on this after reading some of the articles here. He seems like a good pod. But, I am still scared of the operation. Keep in touch tho it helps to have someone to talk to about it that has been through some of the same things. Good Luck with you and again thank you for your response.

Jane T on 8/25/02 at 17:43 (093497)

From my understanding surgery is not great for TTS. I would have an EMG and get another opinion.

Lisa M on 8/25/02 at 20:01 (093509)

I had an EMG done on August 19. I am thinking of having a second opinion if he thinks surgery is our option. Thank You! Lisa

KathyB on 8/26/02 at 15:17 (093580)

I hope the EMG goes well, my doctor did not bother with it because I responded to the drugs so well. Surgery is the very last option unless the test EMG, MRI, CT-Scan show a mass pushing on a nerve. If they can not see a specific problem don't do the surgery. Give the drugs a try. I know the side effects are hell for the first month, but they do subside. You should ramp up slowly on the neurontin so it does not effect you so badly. I am glad to hear that your husband is coming around. It has been a very difficult three years on my husband. I have had three surgeries for torn tendons, collapeds joints and now I has TTS on top of it. Today is it rained and I can barly walk and he has taken the brunt of it, and I realize how good a man he is. He has built up big defence wall, (that your husband may have also built up) to hide behind because sometimes he just can not take it anymore. Lately he has gotten very comfortable behind that wall and it has been difficult between us. Pain is a difficult wall to breach. If you want to talk more off line your reply will go to my mail box. Sometimes it is nice to have someone to talk to.

KathyB on 8/23/02 at 11:35 (093329)

There are a lot of different drug thearpies that might work. Neurontin by itself did not work for me, I am now on a mix of Neurontin and Topamax. This has kept me 85% pain free for the last two months. I still need to have orthortics made to help my foot. I would get some good pain killers. Your docotor should have given you some on your last visit, no one should be in pain. If he did not, call him and get them now. As for your housework, don't worrry about it, if it hasn't been done in six months it can wait a little longer. You need to take care of your self first, you can not take care of anyone else if you are not whole. Don't worry about your family, they can take care of themselves. Tell them to divide up the chores and do it themselves and help out until you are able to get back on your feet (no pun intended) This is not neglagence, you can not take care of any one else until else until you take care of yourself first!!!!!!!! I had to learn that the hard way to. Also don't forget to do your streching, light, simple streching to keep everything working. Yoga works very well.

Lisa M on 8/23/02 at 15:38 (093345)

Thank you Kathy for your response.The dr. did give me pain killers.I two children ages 11 and 7 so I have to be careful when I have to pick them up from school. My mother helps me a lot with them but, she is not in good health herself. When I take them with the Neurontin all I want to do is sleep. Which is good in a way.I also have a friend that is coming by maybe twice a week and helping me out in the house. Still it is not my normal routine. I know that I have to be patient in getting things done around the house. I have had a hard time getting my husband to be patient tho. I insisted that he go with me to this last visit with the Neurologist. Somehow I believe he now understands a little bit more. Some men have a hard time understanding the pain we go through with. I was beginning to think he thought this was a game with me but now he knows the truth and he is starting to help out more than he has. My sister was diagnosed with Fibroymialga around 3-4 years ago and I have an aunt with Lupus. Some of the symptoms with both of them are in my list of symptoms. My sister wants me to have the drs. to check for both of those to be on the safe side. The pain is also in my legs and back which can also be caused from the TTS. I want this to be over with now and I know it is going to take time. If the medication doesn't work for me I know he is going to suggest the surgery and I am just a little hesitant on this after reading some of the articles here. He seems like a good pod. But, I am still scared of the operation. Keep in touch tho it helps to have someone to talk to about it that has been through some of the same things. Good Luck with you and again thank you for your response.

Jane T on 8/25/02 at 17:43 (093497)

From my understanding surgery is not great for TTS. I would have an EMG and get another opinion.

Lisa M on 8/25/02 at 20:01 (093509)

I had an EMG done on August 19. I am thinking of having a second opinion if he thinks surgery is our option. Thank You! Lisa

KathyB on 8/26/02 at 15:17 (093580)

I hope the EMG goes well, my doctor did not bother with it because I responded to the drugs so well. Surgery is the very last option unless the test EMG, MRI, CT-Scan show a mass pushing on a nerve. If they can not see a specific problem don't do the surgery. Give the drugs a try. I know the side effects are hell for the first month, but they do subside. You should ramp up slowly on the neurontin so it does not effect you so badly. I am glad to hear that your husband is coming around. It has been a very difficult three years on my husband. I have had three surgeries for torn tendons, collapeds joints and now I has TTS on top of it. Today is it rained and I can barly walk and he has taken the brunt of it, and I realize how good a man he is. He has built up big defence wall, (that your husband may have also built up) to hide behind because sometimes he just can not take it anymore. Lately he has gotten very comfortable behind that wall and it has been difficult between us. Pain is a difficult wall to breach. If you want to talk more off line your reply will go to my mail box. Sometimes it is nice to have someone to talk to.