Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

REST????

Posted by carrie on 8/22/02 at 17:14 (093246)

I saw my podiatrist today and he told me that rest is not really a solution for PF yet many people have told me that I need to rest my feet and stay off them. He told me that resting it really won't help the problem unless the foot is kept flexed, which is impossible to do without a cast. Is this really the case that resting is not a good thing ? He told me many people lose mobility and flexability from not using their feet. I am very active and he told me that is good, not to run of course but to swim and do my biking and to continue to move around so I don't lose mobility. I am confused
. Can someone clear this up for me please?

I have a couple of other questions too. Can PF be related to autoimmune disease such as lupus? if it is then would it be harder to treat or the same?

Why don't insurance companies cover the ossa tron treatments?

Why is it that I am unable to wear any type of closed toe shoes without pain and is this common in people with PF?

I am sure I have a million other things I could ask too but that is probably enough right now.

Thank you
Carrie

Re: REST????

J. King on 8/22/02 at 19:48 (093267)

Yes rest does not cure PF or I would be cured by now. My feet have hurt for years. Rest does not cure PF but activity aggravates it. I think the worst thing is weight gain. The thing is when your feet hurt you don't feel like being all that active since everything uses the feet except swimming.

R C on 8/22/02 at 20:12 (093272)

Carrie,

I am not a doctor, but I suffered from PF for a long time and might have an insight for you. I was cured by putting my foot in a cast for 4 weeks and using crutches during those 4 weeks plus several weeks more. Thus in my case I believe that the 10 weeks or so of *never* putting my weight on my bad foot gave it the rest it needed for the damaged tissue to heal. At the same time, it is also true that rest causes the foot and related parts to losr much strength and flexibility. When the cast was removed, I couldn't stand if I tried. That's where my totally excellent physical therapist worked her magic and gradually restored my foot's functionality. So they are all correct (1) prolonged rest may in some cases be necessary (2) rest alone probably won't suffice. I hope that makes sense.

I hope your case is not as severe as mine was, and that the 'rest' afforded by good orthotics will be sufficient to resolve your problem.

Andrue on 8/23/02 at 04:29 (093286)

I'm not a doctor but I would say that it depends on your feet. Any injury needs a degree of protection but at the same time loss of mobility and strength is a problem. I think that the answer is that you need to wait until the worst of the pain has subsided (presumably at that point repair is well underway) and then try and find a balance between enough exercise to keep the foot healthy (and possibly even promote a good recovery) and avoiding putting too much strain on it.

If your PF is due to biomechanical problems then this could be a difficult balance to achieve - maybe even impossible. If OTOH your PF is due to an acute injury I would have thought that a little exercise will help. For my PF I've been repeatedly told that there's nothing wrong with the shape of my feet nor the way I use them so while I avoid walking for pleasure and stadning still I am happy to walk when I need to such as during shopping trips and doing housework.

Julie on 8/23/02 at 05:48 (093289)

There's no either/or answer to this. Yes, an injured plantar fascia needs rest if it is going to heal, just like any other injury.

But your whole body needs movement, of course, and that includes your feet. The right kind of movement.

I would say that 'rest' for PF means avoiding all unnecessary weight-bearing exercise, including weight-bearing stretching and recreational walking (obviously we have to do SOME walking unless we really can't because we're completely crippled) and homing in on good exercise that is non-weight bearing - such as swimming.

Has your podiatrist suggested a night splint? (Sorry if you've told us before - I haven't been able to keep up with all your posts!). That's probably the most effective way of keeping the foot flexed.

carrie on 8/23/02 at 10:43 (093320)

If I am to wait till the worse of the pain is gone I may be sitting around my house along long time. Unfortiunatly my heel is always somwhat tender to the touch. I was doing well though, and feeling as though I was improving till I went on a trip to Reno Nevada last week, I did way too much walking and by the day I came home I new I was in trouble. Tell me how the heck do you travel without walking a ton since the airports are all so huge.

well thanks for the info

carrie on 8/23/02 at 10:57 (093324)

Yeah I agree with this, damned if you do damned if you don't huh? I am resting to a point, I mean what choice is there when you are in pain. After I saw my pod yesterday I thought I might as well go over to the mall and look for some new clothes(shopping usually helps me feel better) within 10 minutes I had to leave from the pain, so yeah rest is a good thing to a point. I am not the kind of person that can just lay around and my weight is pretty ideal for my height, I am 5'3' and weigh 125 and have allot of muscle so at least I don'thave that problem. I am still working out at least 3-5 times a week but not doing anything weight bearing or high impact stuff.

thanks for your advice though
hugs
Carrie

carrie on 8/23/02 at 10:59 (093325)

Was your foot flexed in this cast that you wore? I was told by my pod that if the foot is flexed and then put in a cast that this can be very effective. Anyhow I don't know what else I can do except trying to rest as much as i can while still getting in my workouts. My problem is that I have this in both feet, though worse in one to a certain degree, so having a cast on one foot is not going to solve the problem for the other foot and in fact limping around is probably stirring up more problems for my better foot.

hugs
Carrie

J. King on 8/22/02 at 19:48 (093267)

Yes rest does not cure PF or I would be cured by now. My feet have hurt for years. Rest does not cure PF but activity aggravates it. I think the worst thing is weight gain. The thing is when your feet hurt you don't feel like being all that active since everything uses the feet except swimming.

R C on 8/22/02 at 20:12 (093272)

Carrie,

I am not a doctor, but I suffered from PF for a long time and might have an insight for you. I was cured by putting my foot in a cast for 4 weeks and using crutches during those 4 weeks plus several weeks more. Thus in my case I believe that the 10 weeks or so of *never* putting my weight on my bad foot gave it the rest it needed for the damaged tissue to heal. At the same time, it is also true that rest causes the foot and related parts to losr much strength and flexibility. When the cast was removed, I couldn't stand if I tried. That's where my totally excellent physical therapist worked her magic and gradually restored my foot's functionality. So they are all correct (1) prolonged rest may in some cases be necessary (2) rest alone probably won't suffice. I hope that makes sense.

I hope your case is not as severe as mine was, and that the 'rest' afforded by good orthotics will be sufficient to resolve your problem.

Andrue on 8/23/02 at 04:29 (093286)

I'm not a doctor but I would say that it depends on your feet. Any injury needs a degree of protection but at the same time loss of mobility and strength is a problem. I think that the answer is that you need to wait until the worst of the pain has subsided (presumably at that point repair is well underway) and then try and find a balance between enough exercise to keep the foot healthy (and possibly even promote a good recovery) and avoiding putting too much strain on it.

If your PF is due to biomechanical problems then this could be a difficult balance to achieve - maybe even impossible. If OTOH your PF is due to an acute injury I would have thought that a little exercise will help. For my PF I've been repeatedly told that there's nothing wrong with the shape of my feet nor the way I use them so while I avoid walking for pleasure and stadning still I am happy to walk when I need to such as during shopping trips and doing housework.

Julie on 8/23/02 at 05:48 (093289)

There's no either/or answer to this. Yes, an injured plantar fascia needs rest if it is going to heal, just like any other injury.

But your whole body needs movement, of course, and that includes your feet. The right kind of movement.

I would say that 'rest' for PF means avoiding all unnecessary weight-bearing exercise, including weight-bearing stretching and recreational walking (obviously we have to do SOME walking unless we really can't because we're completely crippled) and homing in on good exercise that is non-weight bearing - such as swimming.

Has your podiatrist suggested a night splint? (Sorry if you've told us before - I haven't been able to keep up with all your posts!). That's probably the most effective way of keeping the foot flexed.

carrie on 8/23/02 at 10:43 (093320)

If I am to wait till the worse of the pain is gone I may be sitting around my house along long time. Unfortiunatly my heel is always somwhat tender to the touch. I was doing well though, and feeling as though I was improving till I went on a trip to Reno Nevada last week, I did way too much walking and by the day I came home I new I was in trouble. Tell me how the heck do you travel without walking a ton since the airports are all so huge.

well thanks for the info

carrie on 8/23/02 at 10:57 (093324)

Yeah I agree with this, damned if you do damned if you don't huh? I am resting to a point, I mean what choice is there when you are in pain. After I saw my pod yesterday I thought I might as well go over to the mall and look for some new clothes(shopping usually helps me feel better) within 10 minutes I had to leave from the pain, so yeah rest is a good thing to a point. I am not the kind of person that can just lay around and my weight is pretty ideal for my height, I am 5'3' and weigh 125 and have allot of muscle so at least I don'thave that problem. I am still working out at least 3-5 times a week but not doing anything weight bearing or high impact stuff.

thanks for your advice though
hugs
Carrie

carrie on 8/23/02 at 10:59 (093325)

Was your foot flexed in this cast that you wore? I was told by my pod that if the foot is flexed and then put in a cast that this can be very effective. Anyhow I don't know what else I can do except trying to rest as much as i can while still getting in my workouts. My problem is that I have this in both feet, though worse in one to a certain degree, so having a cast on one foot is not going to solve the problem for the other foot and in fact limping around is probably stirring up more problems for my better foot.

hugs
Carrie