Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More information on the dornier one year FDA study

Posted by Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/02 at 08:04 (093296)

Good morning,

Here is some additional information on the one year follow study for the EPOS.FDA study There were 131 patients that were followed up Times one year The orginal group was 150. 75 were in the orginal 12 week study. 56 from the non-treated group crossed over to have treatment.

What is most interesting is the average length of heel pain TWO YEARS not the six months that was the minimum standard to enter into the study . I can conclude that if you had heel pain for two years with at least three conservative treatments then the time will heal the pf is not a major factor.

This is going to be published very soon so until it is published I can post the entire article on heelspurs.com

I hope that that this helpful.

DZ

Re: thanks; appreciate it

elliott on 8/23/02 at 08:22 (093302)

The final paper should be interesting.

I guess I can also conclude that if success rates turn out to be high, then waiting a decent interval before getting ESWT is not too harmful either.

---

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/02 at 08:27 (093303)

That is an interesting question and here are the factors that I am basing my opinion on.

The more time that you wait for a condition that is painful when using your foot, the more compensation will take place. The person will start to favor the opposite foot . The knee hip and lower back will function differently. Pain equals depression in some cases. and most important why would any one wait for a treatment with high benefits and low risk except for the inability to afford the cost. I still feel that there need to be an ESWT evaluation that will determine the best time both from an economic stand point and from a treatment that is in the best interest of the patient

dave r on 8/23/02 at 09:02 (093308)

Whats the weather going to be like in Jersey tomorrow?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/02 at 21:15 (093373)

Maybe raining. !!

elliott on 8/23/02 at 08:22 (093302)

The final paper should be interesting.

I guess I can also conclude that if success rates turn out to be high, then waiting a decent interval before getting ESWT is not too harmful either.

---

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/02 at 08:27 (093303)

That is an interesting question and here are the factors that I am basing my opinion on.

The more time that you wait for a condition that is painful when using your foot, the more compensation will take place. The person will start to favor the opposite foot . The knee hip and lower back will function differently. Pain equals depression in some cases. and most important why would any one wait for a treatment with high benefits and low risk except for the inability to afford the cost. I still feel that there need to be an ESWT evaluation that will determine the best time both from an economic stand point and from a treatment that is in the best interest of the patient

dave r on 8/23/02 at 09:02 (093308)

Whats the weather going to be like in Jersey tomorrow?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/02 at 21:15 (093373)

Maybe raining. !!