Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Today's the day!

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 08:07 (093297)

Today is the 'closing day' on my house. I'll be leaving in about an hour or so. I've been looking forward to this so much! Wish me luck. :)

They don't make it easy on a buyer, and all issues were not resolved until 3 PM yesterday (when I finally found out how big of a certified check to get before the banks closed and take to closing, what else to take, and where it is going to be). Then, I went on the 'walk through', and the house is beautiful just as I remembered it.

I have my four new Tiffany lamps, my big mirror, a phone and phone book, my laptop, and my fake plants in the car, because I intend to go by the house right after closing and these are some things I'd rather move myself. On the next trip I'll take the cleaning things, but the house is immaculate so there's no rush. Moving day isn't until next Friday, but next week the gas and cable men come and I have to be there, and I'll be getting deliveries, assembling and using a lawn mower, getting in groceries, and trying to make sure everything like that is all set.

I think this is really going to happen!!!!! Wow. A home, a real home.

Carole

Re: Congratulations Carole!!

Necee on 8/23/02 at 08:22 (093301)

All the best to you Carole as you move into your new home.
I know you must be floating on cloud 9, just think how nice it's going to be when you can wake up in your new home, and enjoy that morning coffee out on your pretty back porch!
Happy trails to you...

Necee

Re: Today's the day!

Nancy N on 8/23/02 at 08:36 (093305)

Carole--

Congratulations! They definitely don't make it easy on buyers. I guess it's not easy on anybody, since I'm sure sellers have their share of hassles. When I bought my condo four years ago, the amount of money I needed kept changing right up to the closing. It drove me and my dad (who was helping me out) absolutely nuts. My lawyer, who got way too much money out of me, too, really didn't do a very good job for me, and called the Sunday before the closing to say that I needed another $231 for the seller--something to do with condo association escrows or something. I felt like telling her I'd already stripped the money tree in the backyard and there was nothing else I could do. My dad talked to her and tried to convince her that at this late date, it was clearly negligence on her part and she should swallow the cost, but alas, he got nowhere. He tells me that, in Pennsylvania, the realtor is required to give you a list of fees down to the last penny, but apparently that's not the case in NJ.

The point of all this rambling is that you're not alone--but in the end, it will be worth it. Aside from some gripes with my condo association, I've been very happy having my own place. And you won't have to deal with an association, so you should do just fine!

I'm really so happy for you!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 13:25 (093334)

Thank you, Necee! It is so beautiful I could just cry... it's mine, I have the keys, and I have a home at last. It's so peaceful and wonderful. I met the neighbors and they are nice and said it is a quiet neighborhood (which I wanted).

I took a few things over there, and now I need to arrange some deliveries so I can't stay online. My feet were cramping earlier for no reason at all (maybe just from excitement?) so I put my ice pack in the freezer over there for later.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 13:30 (093336)

Thanks, Nancy. The hilarious thing is that at closing, they gave me a check refunding almost $600 after all was said and done. Dealing with the mortgage company, the title company, and so on is like dealing with the three stooges. Mo, Larry, and Curly probably would have given me less headaches if they'd handled the paperwork and math. But at last it is done and I have the keys. I am really looking forward to having a home. :)

Carole C

Re: Congratulations, and GOOD LUCK, Carole!

Suzanne D on 8/23/02 at 17:12 (093350)

Reading your post was like finishing a good book or watching the end of a great movie! It's even more satisfying to read of a friend's completion of a well-thought out goal - one she has worked for over a long time.

I'm happy for you and excited to hear about the final moving!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Your dream come true!

Missy B on 8/23/02 at 18:07 (093354)

Congratulations on fulfilling your dream. Now your work begins making it truly unique to reflect your personality. But I think you will cherish every moment you spend adding those extra special touches that say - 'This is ME' - 'and my home reflects who I am, so come on in and make yourself comfortable. Good Luck and have lots of FUN.
Missy B.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 18:08 (093355)

Thank you, Suzanne! I'm so happy. I just can't explain it. I just know that I am truly, deeply happy.

This afternoon I bought a mattress set to fit the bedroom furniture that came with the house, and it will be delivered tomorrow. So, even though the movers don't come until next Friday, tonight will probably be the last night in my apartment. I'll be sort of between places but I'll probably be eating and sleeping over there and just coming over here to finish packing.

I think I kind of overdid it today. Kind of? Kind of? (maniacal laugh) VASTLY. After all the stress of buying the house was over, I moved three carloads of boxes and things, walked all around a huge furniture store twice, and then joined SAMs club and walked around all of SAMs about three times looking for something they didn't have. Not smart! Anyway, I came home and iced and that helped. I iced my knees, too, which is a first, but I think it helped a little there too. After dinner I'm going to do some stretching and then ice again. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be fine again, and if not I'll do restful sitting things like packing and not try to lift as much or walk as far as I did today.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 18:11 (093357)

Thank you, Missy. :) I already have some ideas of what I want to do to 'make it mine', furniture I want to buy and so on. I spent some time today walking through a large and very nice furniture store, and got some great ideas.

Yes, I am having lots of fun. :) I'm just so glad that everything worked out! I really didn't feel sure it would go through until I signed all those papers and they told me it is mine!

Carole C

Tammie on 8/24/02 at 13:46 (093416)

Carole, I am so very happy for you! Finally after so many ups and downs you have reached a goal!

Not just any goal but a important one! You are now working to the next, without even realizing it you will make this house not a house but your home, a home that reflects you as this is a part of you.

I hope that you take many before pics so that you may take many after you have moved in and feel complete. Those are what I would love to see the before and the after. It will show so much about yourself that you yourself may be quite surprised to know! You have worked very hard for this dream of yours , now go and really enjoy it dont forget the jasmine.

I hope bath and body works has the candle for that scent I love the lotion in it I know they have the night like type room scents in the jasmine as I have one in my bedroom and it is so nice to smell. Take care and do take care of your feet while enjoying the new part of you! I wish you all the happiness and luck and love in your new home. Tammie

Carole C in NOLA on 8/24/02 at 14:58 (093422)

That's a wonderful idea! Once I get settled in, I'll definitely check and see if Bath and Body Works has a candle or room scent in my favorite scent, 'Night Blooming Jasmine'.

Thank you for your good wishes! You are always so sweet. :)

One of the things that I like about my house is that it feels like home already, and a lot of the things which have been done to it are things I would have eventually done anyway.

I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart this morning to get light bulbs and a padlock for the fence (which doesn't fit! Drat, I will need a chain too). But since then, I have been taking care of my feet today and they are starting to feel better. I did a lot of early morning gentle stretching and loosening up exercises.

Then, I sat and packed a box of photos. That's always hard, because I'm tempted to look at each one. Also in that box are my daughter's school papers from kindergarten and first grade... crayon drawings of our family, first sentences printed neatly, and so on. It's hard to believe she's 24 now. FINALLY I got that box packed. Whew!

Then I went to the house to wait for the mattress delivery. That was easy on my feet too. I sat and unpacked my bathroom things, and then sat and played computer games on my laptop until they came. My bathroom things go PERFECTLY with the colors in the bathroom. Is that great luck or what? LOL I can hardly believe it. But anyway, my feet got a chance to rest. My new mattress is wonderfully comfortable but I didn't have time to nap on it.

Now I'm back in the apartment just sitting and packing boxes. Sounds great, doesn't it? By tomorrow morning I need to be better, because I have to buy a lawnmower at Home Depot and lift it into the trunk of my car, and then lift it back out at the house. It makes my feet hurt to think about it! But it's got to be done and I can do it.

A friend at work says to try to buy the already assembled floor models there, and says they don't care and then you don't have to assemble a lawnmower.

Carole C

JudyS on 8/26/02 at 09:09 (093541)

Carole this is so exciting for you! Congratulations. Be sure to savor every second of it - and be sure to sit in your lawn chair in the yard when the unpacking gets overwhelming!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/26/02 at 15:55 (093587)

Thanks, Judy. Since I have been living in an apartment, I don't yet have a lawn chair but I will take your advice in spirit.

I spent last night at the house. By now I have a bed to sleep on there, all my bathroom and kitchen stuff and most of my breakables there, and I got groceries. Still it was sort of like camping out. I took a favorite book and tried not to miss the internet! It was fun although I felt like I did when I was a teenager babysitting in someone else's house... not quite at home yet.

I've had the washer and dryer delivered, and the cable TV man wired my house for cable in five rooms for me. The gas man came and turned on the gas. My knees have been awful and I am so tired that I want to scream, but basically I'm having fun (I think?). The movers come on Friday morning and I've still not finished packing. When I'm all moved in maybe I can go to a movie or something and try to get unwound.

Carole C

Necee on 8/23/02 at 08:22 (093301)

All the best to you Carole as you move into your new home.
I know you must be floating on cloud 9, just think how nice it's going to be when you can wake up in your new home, and enjoy that morning coffee out on your pretty back porch!
Happy trails to you...

Necee

Nancy N on 8/23/02 at 08:36 (093305)

Carole--

Congratulations! They definitely don't make it easy on buyers. I guess it's not easy on anybody, since I'm sure sellers have their share of hassles. When I bought my condo four years ago, the amount of money I needed kept changing right up to the closing. It drove me and my dad (who was helping me out) absolutely nuts. My lawyer, who got way too much money out of me, too, really didn't do a very good job for me, and called the Sunday before the closing to say that I needed another $231 for the seller--something to do with condo association escrows or something. I felt like telling her I'd already stripped the money tree in the backyard and there was nothing else I could do. My dad talked to her and tried to convince her that at this late date, it was clearly negligence on her part and she should swallow the cost, but alas, he got nowhere. He tells me that, in Pennsylvania, the realtor is required to give you a list of fees down to the last penny, but apparently that's not the case in NJ.

The point of all this rambling is that you're not alone--but in the end, it will be worth it. Aside from some gripes with my condo association, I've been very happy having my own place. And you won't have to deal with an association, so you should do just fine!

I'm really so happy for you!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 13:25 (093334)

Thank you, Necee! It is so beautiful I could just cry... it's mine, I have the keys, and I have a home at last. It's so peaceful and wonderful. I met the neighbors and they are nice and said it is a quiet neighborhood (which I wanted).

I took a few things over there, and now I need to arrange some deliveries so I can't stay online. My feet were cramping earlier for no reason at all (maybe just from excitement?) so I put my ice pack in the freezer over there for later.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 13:30 (093336)

Thanks, Nancy. The hilarious thing is that at closing, they gave me a check refunding almost $600 after all was said and done. Dealing with the mortgage company, the title company, and so on is like dealing with the three stooges. Mo, Larry, and Curly probably would have given me less headaches if they'd handled the paperwork and math. But at last it is done and I have the keys. I am really looking forward to having a home. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 8/23/02 at 17:12 (093350)

Reading your post was like finishing a good book or watching the end of a great movie! It's even more satisfying to read of a friend's completion of a well-thought out goal - one she has worked for over a long time.

I'm happy for you and excited to hear about the final moving!

Suzanne :-)

Missy B on 8/23/02 at 18:07 (093354)

Congratulations on fulfilling your dream. Now your work begins making it truly unique to reflect your personality. But I think you will cherish every moment you spend adding those extra special touches that say - 'This is ME' - 'and my home reflects who I am, so come on in and make yourself comfortable. Good Luck and have lots of FUN.
Missy B.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 18:08 (093355)

Thank you, Suzanne! I'm so happy. I just can't explain it. I just know that I am truly, deeply happy.

This afternoon I bought a mattress set to fit the bedroom furniture that came with the house, and it will be delivered tomorrow. So, even though the movers don't come until next Friday, tonight will probably be the last night in my apartment. I'll be sort of between places but I'll probably be eating and sleeping over there and just coming over here to finish packing.

I think I kind of overdid it today. Kind of? Kind of? (maniacal laugh) VASTLY. After all the stress of buying the house was over, I moved three carloads of boxes and things, walked all around a huge furniture store twice, and then joined SAMs club and walked around all of SAMs about three times looking for something they didn't have. Not smart! Anyway, I came home and iced and that helped. I iced my knees, too, which is a first, but I think it helped a little there too. After dinner I'm going to do some stretching and then ice again. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be fine again, and if not I'll do restful sitting things like packing and not try to lift as much or walk as far as I did today.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 18:11 (093357)

Thank you, Missy. :) I already have some ideas of what I want to do to 'make it mine', furniture I want to buy and so on. I spent some time today walking through a large and very nice furniture store, and got some great ideas.

Yes, I am having lots of fun. :) I'm just so glad that everything worked out! I really didn't feel sure it would go through until I signed all those papers and they told me it is mine!

Carole C

Tammie on 8/24/02 at 13:46 (093416)

Carole, I am so very happy for you! Finally after so many ups and downs you have reached a goal!

Not just any goal but a important one! You are now working to the next, without even realizing it you will make this house not a house but your home, a home that reflects you as this is a part of you.

I hope that you take many before pics so that you may take many after you have moved in and feel complete. Those are what I would love to see the before and the after. It will show so much about yourself that you yourself may be quite surprised to know! You have worked very hard for this dream of yours , now go and really enjoy it dont forget the jasmine.

I hope bath and body works has the candle for that scent I love the lotion in it I know they have the night like type room scents in the jasmine as I have one in my bedroom and it is so nice to smell. Take care and do take care of your feet while enjoying the new part of you! I wish you all the happiness and luck and love in your new home. Tammie

Carole C in NOLA on 8/24/02 at 14:58 (093422)

That's a wonderful idea! Once I get settled in, I'll definitely check and see if Bath and Body Works has a candle or room scent in my favorite scent, 'Night Blooming Jasmine'.

Thank you for your good wishes! You are always so sweet. :)

One of the things that I like about my house is that it feels like home already, and a lot of the things which have been done to it are things I would have eventually done anyway.

I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart this morning to get light bulbs and a padlock for the fence (which doesn't fit! Drat, I will need a chain too). But since then, I have been taking care of my feet today and they are starting to feel better. I did a lot of early morning gentle stretching and loosening up exercises.

Then, I sat and packed a box of photos. That's always hard, because I'm tempted to look at each one. Also in that box are my daughter's school papers from kindergarten and first grade... crayon drawings of our family, first sentences printed neatly, and so on. It's hard to believe she's 24 now. FINALLY I got that box packed. Whew!

Then I went to the house to wait for the mattress delivery. That was easy on my feet too. I sat and unpacked my bathroom things, and then sat and played computer games on my laptop until they came. My bathroom things go PERFECTLY with the colors in the bathroom. Is that great luck or what? LOL I can hardly believe it. But anyway, my feet got a chance to rest. My new mattress is wonderfully comfortable but I didn't have time to nap on it.

Now I'm back in the apartment just sitting and packing boxes. Sounds great, doesn't it? By tomorrow morning I need to be better, because I have to buy a lawnmower at Home Depot and lift it into the trunk of my car, and then lift it back out at the house. It makes my feet hurt to think about it! But it's got to be done and I can do it.

A friend at work says to try to buy the already assembled floor models there, and says they don't care and then you don't have to assemble a lawnmower.

Carole C

JudyS on 8/26/02 at 09:09 (093541)

Carole this is so exciting for you! Congratulations. Be sure to savor every second of it - and be sure to sit in your lawn chair in the yard when the unpacking gets overwhelming!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/26/02 at 15:55 (093587)

Thanks, Judy. Since I have been living in an apartment, I don't yet have a lawn chair but I will take your advice in spirit.

I spent last night at the house. By now I have a bed to sleep on there, all my bathroom and kitchen stuff and most of my breakables there, and I got groceries. Still it was sort of like camping out. I took a favorite book and tried not to miss the internet! It was fun although I felt like I did when I was a teenager babysitting in someone else's house... not quite at home yet.

I've had the washer and dryer delivered, and the cable TV man wired my house for cable in five rooms for me. The gas man came and turned on the gas. My knees have been awful and I am so tired that I want to scream, but basically I'm having fun (I think?). The movers come on Friday morning and I've still not finished packing. When I'm all moved in maybe I can go to a movie or something and try to get unwound.

Carole C