Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain-free walking but can't progress further.

Posted by Ellen J. on 8/23/02 at 10:09 (093314)

Hi,
I've had Plantar Fasciitis for 3 yrs. and I can walk pain free. However, if I try to do anything more, my feet begin to act up. For instance, I tried bicycling for 10 minutes yesterday and my feet are a little sore today. Up until yesterday I refrained from any exercise for 3 or 4 months.
What would be my next step--should I consider ESWT? My pain (when it happens), is in the arch or sometimes medial side of heel, depending on what I did to cause the pain. I don't understand why I can walk pain free but can do nothing more strenuous.
Custom orthos don't work for me.
Thanks for any pointers...
Ellen

Re: Pain-free walking but can't progress further.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/23/02 at 21:45 (093379)

First you need to make sure you have PF, it is very common to be misdiagnosed. Second, if it is PF, you need wear shoes that have excellent heel support and you might want to consider your orthotics being looked at, there may be a reason they aren't working.

Re: thanks for your info

Ellen J. on 8/25/02 at 08:50 (093460)

Hi Dr. Reid,
I appreciate your advice. I plan to make an appt with yet another doctor to see if this one has anything new to add. So far nobody has been able to do anything. I have had to figure it out on my own mostly, but will keep persisting with doctors.
Thanks again,
Ellen J.

Re: Pain-free walking but can't progress further.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/23/02 at 21:45 (093379)

First you need to make sure you have PF, it is very common to be misdiagnosed. Second, if it is PF, you need wear shoes that have excellent heel support and you might want to consider your orthotics being looked at, there may be a reason they aren't working.

Re: thanks for your info

Ellen J. on 8/25/02 at 08:50 (093460)

Hi Dr. Reid,
I appreciate your advice. I plan to make an appt with yet another doctor to see if this one has anything new to add. So far nobody has been able to do anything. I have had to figure it out on my own mostly, but will keep persisting with doctors.
Thanks again,
Ellen J.