Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lateral foot pain after PF surgery

Posted by Rebecca C. on 8/23/02 at 11:36 (093330)

After 4 years of debilitating PF, I had open PF surgery in early January this year, was feeling great by the end of March, slowly resumed activity and was pain free for about two months. Slowly I began to experience lateral pain in my foot, had my orthotics adjusted, had an injection and it just got worse and worse until it was really too painful to walk. It felt pretty much like someone had hit the lateral bottom of my foot between the heel and baby toe with a baseball bat. I am now non-weight bearing in a cast. The first two years I was treated by a sports doc who just gave me shot after shot and told me to continue to run, which I blame for it becoming so resistant to treatment. I spent another two years with a good pod and went through all the usual stuff: rest, stetching, ice, PT, custom orthotics, night splint, bone scan, MRI, etc. to no avail. Unable to afford ESWT, my pod recommended surgery. I had a second, then a third opinion that both agreed that surgery was my best chance for recovery.

While I've been casted my foot has continued to hurt. When my cast was changed last week the lateral bottom of my midfoot is still very tender. I'm really beginning to wonder if I could have somehow sustained a different injury of some kind. I did a search on lateral column pain, cuboid syndrome and calcaneocuboid syndrome on heelspurs.com and found one post by someone named tim that states that cuboid syndrome has never been proven to exist, that the pain is from some other cause. So if I've been treated for calcaneocubiod syndrome and it hasn't managed the problem, what else could it possibly be? What should I do when the cast comes off next week?

Re: Lateral foot pain after PF surgery

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/23/02 at 21:50 (093381)

Did you have open surgery or EPF, and if open was it a partial or complete rupture?

Rebecca C. on 8/23/02 at 23:55 (093387)

I had an open surgery, 2/3 medial release. Thanks.

Rebecca C on 8/24/02 at 22:13 (093440)

My name is also Rebecca C. but I live in MS. I too have gone through not one but both feet for surgery for PF. I also tried all the other options mentioned until surgery was my only hope. I had the left foot surgery (open) eight months ago and after having good results, I decided to have the right foot done just three months ago. I am very dissappointed that just one month ago my heel pain returned in the right foot. My Orthopedic said he had never seen that happen, but took Xrays and sure enough the PF had returned. Now I am also having severe pain in the left foot also. I am once again trying my stretches and ice and pressure walker cast and anitinflamatories. I am afraid that I will end up in a wheel chair. I have been experiencing PF for the past two years. I cannot afford ESWT. I just wanted you to know that I fully understand your delima and wish I could say it will get better. At this point I am very depressed and if anyone has any suggestions for me, I welcome them. I hope that you will be pain free in the future and just remember, we can't give up.

Rebecca C. on 8/25/02 at 10:38 (093473)

Wow, another Rebecca C. that PF surgery eight months ago! That's quite a coincidence. What does you doctor suggest? I hope your pain resolves soon somehow. I can't imagine what it would be like to have had pf surgery in both my feet five months apart. I can really understand how you might be depressed. Have you considered antidepressants? I started taking them after my pf surgery and it's helps quite a bit. I actually had dramatic improvement in my surgical recovery. Take care!

Stacey W on 10/13/02 at 18:29 (097438)

I need advice-I am panicking.
I had PT surgery on both feet a month ago. I am having severe pain with lots of tingling and numbness-which I am assuming to be normal???
I need advice from one of you unfortunate ones who has not had relief from surgery! About a week ago the ligaments in both feet started to tighten up again. I am in so much pain at night I take pain pills every single day to get by.
What is happening? What does nerve damage feel like? Was my surgery worthless?
I am so scared I am only 28 and have a career I love-but which also requires to be on my feet 10 hours per day. I am in PT 3X per week. My doc says I will feel better in a few weeks. My physical therapist says he does not think my symptoms are normal. I am confused.
Thanks for your time
Stacey

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/23/02 at 21:50 (093381)

Did you have open surgery or EPF, and if open was it a partial or complete rupture?

Rebecca C. on 8/23/02 at 23:55 (093387)

I had an open surgery, 2/3 medial release. Thanks.

Rebecca C on 8/24/02 at 22:13 (093440)

My name is also Rebecca C. but I live in MS. I too have gone through not one but both feet for surgery for PF. I also tried all the other options mentioned until surgery was my only hope. I had the left foot surgery (open) eight months ago and after having good results, I decided to have the right foot done just three months ago. I am very dissappointed that just one month ago my heel pain returned in the right foot. My Orthopedic said he had never seen that happen, but took Xrays and sure enough the PF had returned. Now I am also having severe pain in the left foot also. I am once again trying my stretches and ice and pressure walker cast and anitinflamatories. I am afraid that I will end up in a wheel chair. I have been experiencing PF for the past two years. I cannot afford ESWT. I just wanted you to know that I fully understand your delima and wish I could say it will get better. At this point I am very depressed and if anyone has any suggestions for me, I welcome them. I hope that you will be pain free in the future and just remember, we can't give up.

Rebecca C. on 8/25/02 at 10:38 (093473)

Wow, another Rebecca C. that PF surgery eight months ago! That's quite a coincidence. What does you doctor suggest? I hope your pain resolves soon somehow. I can't imagine what it would be like to have had pf surgery in both my feet five months apart. I can really understand how you might be depressed. Have you considered antidepressants? I started taking them after my pf surgery and it's helps quite a bit. I actually had dramatic improvement in my surgical recovery. Take care!

Stacey W on 10/13/02 at 18:29 (097438)

I need advice-I am panicking.
I had PT surgery on both feet a month ago. I am having severe pain with lots of tingling and numbness-which I am assuming to be normal???
I need advice from one of you unfortunate ones who has not had relief from surgery! About a week ago the ligaments in both feet started to tighten up again. I am in so much pain at night I take pain pills every single day to get by.
What is happening? What does nerve damage feel like? Was my surgery worthless?
I am so scared I am only 28 and have a career I love-but which also requires to be on my feet 10 hours per day. I am in PT 3X per week. My doc says I will feel better in a few weeks. My physical therapist says he does not think my symptoms are normal. I am confused.
Thanks for your time
Stacey