Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

update on things...

Posted by Suzanne D on 8/23/02 at 17:21 (093351)

Hello, Friends!

My little student, Marina, is still very ill. After spending 11 days in the hospital, she came home for one day and night and then had to go back yesterday. Her brother said at school today, 'I don't know what I.C.U. is, but that's where she is...' I am very concerned for her. I thank you for your concern and prayers.

Our first set of letters are now completed and heading to our 'adopted soldiers' in some far-off, unknown destination. It was quite an effort for the children, but they did well. (At this stage of first grade, writing a few sentences can be a big deal!) They wrote on paper with the top half unlined and drew a picture there. Then their letter was at the bottom.

As usual for children, their thoughts were sometimes amusing, sometimes touching and poignant. I thought you might enjoy a few of them:

Dear John,
What do you eat? I like pancakes best! I hope you have a good time.
Aaron

Dear Michael,
I hope you win the army. I hope you never lose. What do you do? I work hard with a pencil and my crayons.
Michael

Dear Daniel,
I hope you don't get killed. What are you doing right now? We are making letters. Be careful.
Jarret

Dear Dad,
I miss you! I love you. I know you will be back in a long time.
Love,
Tyler

And so it went...I hope they enjoy the thoughts and pictures. I also wrote a letter to include in each.

I have a new little girl in my room as of today. She is from Kansas and came with her 4 little sisters to a foster home here in KY where her mom is from. I don't even know all the situation yet, but it is sad. She seemed happy to be with us and will add her own little sparkle to our room.

I hope all of you have a good weekend.

Suzanne :-)

Re: update on things...

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 18:36 (093359)

Suzanne, I'm so sorry that your little student Marina is still so ill. She has had a rough time of it.

Thanks for the letters from your kids to the military overseas. They were sweet.

I'm sure your new student will do wonderfully in your class! You always give so much of yourself to your students.

Carole C

Re: Bless you and your children

Tammie on 8/24/02 at 14:03 (093417)

I know I have not been on board much, but I wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed the stories of your children they are so sweet and they bring out the good Whys sometimes. Kids speak simple and straight from there heart, but that is so special in its self that it makes us realize words dont need to be long to convey what it is that they think of.

I pray for the special little family that has so much to live with in there lives and that we could only begin to imagine what they must go thru each day. But reading how children feel in a few words it kinda says it all. We are sorry and we care remain to be my favorite . Along with I would like to keep you in my prayers.

You are a remarkable Lady Suzanne Thank you for being in my life as I have been taught so many things with the few little things you have shared with us about your children . I may have forgotton those memories with all of the pains and the futile search of finding a Dr. any one that will comunicate with me at this level, the one which starts with I hear what you are trying to tell me and I care. Simple words that somewhere along my line have been dificult to find with both DR.s and family. I am no longer super person I am just me Tammie and it kinda feels good. Thanks again for teaching me with your words that it is OK to be me and simple is ok. It feels good and i wanted to tell you this so have a great end of summer and hope to continue to read your updates with your children at school. Bless you and them!

BrianG on 8/24/02 at 20:48 (093435)

Thanks for the update. Just wondering where the letters get sent to? Do they go to the one soldier you had in your class, or is there a general address for anyone to send cards to?

Appreciate your effort, I hope the kids are old enough to remember it.

BrianG

Suzanne D on 8/25/02 at 07:52 (093455)

Thanks, Carole. I am sure my new little girl will be a challenge, but I want to help her. I have learned that she was not in school at all during the 4th quarter last year. She evidently has had a rough time of it, but seems to have learned to make the most of what she has as she was smiling and skipping around Friday. At least her three little sisters are in the same foster home with her. I'm sure that helps.

As for Marina who is so ill, I feel helpless to do much for her right now. She is on my mind each day. Thanks for your concern as well.

Suzanne D on 8/25/02 at 07:52 (093456)

Thank you, Tammie. You are too kind. YOU are the remarkable one who keeps giving and being kind to others in the midst of unrelenting pain. I think of you each day and pray for you, too.

Take care, Friend!

Suzanne D on 8/25/02 at 07:59 (093457)

Thanks, Brian. The soldier who came to my class (step-father of one of my students) had given me the list of 44 names in his company. The little boy's mother wrote me a note to say that if I would send the children's letters to her, she would send them with some other things she planned to mail. So I wrote each soldier's name on a separate envelope and placed two letters inside: one from me and one from one of the children. I plan to have my students write to the same soldier each time.

I wrote the mother and asked her to let me know how long it takes for mail to arrive, including packages. I told her we wanted to write them at least once a month and also send something for Christmas and other times as well and asked for ideas. I will let you all know what we do in that regard in case anyone wants to be a part of it.

Thanks for your interest! It means a lot. Sometimes I wonder just what the children WILL remember from my class, but I hope that even if they don't remember a lot of specifics, perhaps some of their ideals may be shaped somewhat by the things we do.

I hope you are feeling less pain these days!

BrianG on 8/26/02 at 21:31 (093623)

Yes, please post later on if you thnk there is any way that some of us can contribute. Your work will be appreciated, by both age groups.

BrianG

Suzanne D on 8/29/02 at 15:57 (093895)

I will, Brian. Thanks once again for your support and interest in this project!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/23/02 at 18:36 (093359)

Suzanne, I'm so sorry that your little student Marina is still so ill. She has had a rough time of it.

Thanks for the letters from your kids to the military overseas. They were sweet.

I'm sure your new student will do wonderfully in your class! You always give so much of yourself to your students.

Carole C

Tammie on 8/24/02 at 14:03 (093417)

I know I have not been on board much, but I wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed the stories of your children they are so sweet and they bring out the good Whys sometimes. Kids speak simple and straight from there heart, but that is so special in its self that it makes us realize words dont need to be long to convey what it is that they think of.

I pray for the special little family that has so much to live with in there lives and that we could only begin to imagine what they must go thru each day. But reading how children feel in a few words it kinda says it all. We are sorry and we care remain to be my favorite . Along with I would like to keep you in my prayers.

You are a remarkable Lady Suzanne Thank you for being in my life as I have been taught so many things with the few little things you have shared with us about your children . I may have forgotton those memories with all of the pains and the futile search of finding a Dr. any one that will comunicate with me at this level, the one which starts with I hear what you are trying to tell me and I care. Simple words that somewhere along my line have been dificult to find with both DR.s and family. I am no longer super person I am just me Tammie and it kinda feels good. Thanks again for teaching me with your words that it is OK to be me and simple is ok. It feels good and i wanted to tell you this so have a great end of summer and hope to continue to read your updates with your children at school. Bless you and them!

BrianG on 8/24/02 at 20:48 (093435)

Thanks for the update. Just wondering where the letters get sent to? Do they go to the one soldier you had in your class, or is there a general address for anyone to send cards to?

Appreciate your effort, I hope the kids are old enough to remember it.

BrianG

Suzanne D on 8/25/02 at 07:52 (093455)

Thanks, Carole. I am sure my new little girl will be a challenge, but I want to help her. I have learned that she was not in school at all during the 4th quarter last year. She evidently has had a rough time of it, but seems to have learned to make the most of what she has as she was smiling and skipping around Friday. At least her three little sisters are in the same foster home with her. I'm sure that helps.

As for Marina who is so ill, I feel helpless to do much for her right now. She is on my mind each day. Thanks for your concern as well.

Suzanne D on 8/25/02 at 07:52 (093456)

Thank you, Tammie. You are too kind. YOU are the remarkable one who keeps giving and being kind to others in the midst of unrelenting pain. I think of you each day and pray for you, too.

Take care, Friend!

Suzanne D on 8/25/02 at 07:59 (093457)

Thanks, Brian. The soldier who came to my class (step-father of one of my students) had given me the list of 44 names in his company. The little boy's mother wrote me a note to say that if I would send the children's letters to her, she would send them with some other things she planned to mail. So I wrote each soldier's name on a separate envelope and placed two letters inside: one from me and one from one of the children. I plan to have my students write to the same soldier each time.

I wrote the mother and asked her to let me know how long it takes for mail to arrive, including packages. I told her we wanted to write them at least once a month and also send something for Christmas and other times as well and asked for ideas. I will let you all know what we do in that regard in case anyone wants to be a part of it.

Thanks for your interest! It means a lot. Sometimes I wonder just what the children WILL remember from my class, but I hope that even if they don't remember a lot of specifics, perhaps some of their ideals may be shaped somewhat by the things we do.

I hope you are feeling less pain these days!

BrianG on 8/26/02 at 21:31 (093623)

Yes, please post later on if you thnk there is any way that some of us can contribute. Your work will be appreciated, by both age groups.

BrianG

Suzanne D on 8/29/02 at 15:57 (093895)

I will, Brian. Thanks once again for your support and interest in this project!