Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Time and care heals without surgery

Posted by Barbara J on 8/24/02 at 08:35 (093397)

To you all who are hopelessly suffering, here is a bit of hope and good news. As one who has had a long bout with plantar fascitis, I have experience and can offer some good news for you.

I first injured my foot during a day of bad skiing. The pain was endless. I tried cortisone shots only to find myself overworking the foot and making the condition worse, besides the horrendous pain eduring the shot itself. I sat in front of my computer with tears in my eyes crying, wondering if this is a permanent condition and if whether I will ever walk again. I went to the library to read about surgery. Was this my only other option? After going through about 10 different medical books, I decided that surgery was a 50-50 proposition....so why even bother doing it? Instead I called a friend. She gave me the number to an acquaintance who had PLANTAR FASCITIS. I called her and she told me that her doctor said it was the worse condition he had ever seen. It lasted one and a half years. Then it stopped. All by itself. It wasn't even gradual. Just one day it stopped hurting. Maybe it was the prayers. Maybe it was the Birkenstock sandals, or the night splint. Maybe it was the Reliv Food Supplements (3 months later I was walking after taking them). Whatever it was, I was slowly able to walk longer distances and my first run on the ski slope was a joyous event! I no longer have foot pain! I can do everything but run marathons. However, I do wear my sandals and shoes with arch supports all the time and I do take my Reliv every day. I buy the best shoes money can buy and avoid sprinting! My life is enjoyable once again. All it took was time, Birkenstocks and Reliv and one and a half years of endurance. NO SURGERY NECESSARY!!!!

Re: Time and care heals without surgery

john h on 8/24/02 at 08:48 (093399)

Way to go Barbara. As always, stories of cures or near cures provide hope.

Missy B on 8/24/02 at 10:51 (093404)

Barbara,
Thanks for your message of hope. It is always great to hear from someone who has been able to find relief without surgery. Yes, it does take a lot of perserverence, but for you it has been well worth the wait.
I opted for the surgery because I also had TT as well as PF and all the conservative measures had failed. I am happy to say that I have been lucky, in that, so far my surgery has been successful and at more than 7 months post-op, I am 90%+ improved over my pre-surgery condition. My Pod said it could take up to a year for total results, so I have a few more months for possible improvement. Like you, I wear by Birks most of the time, or my athletic shoes with orthotics in them. I have adjusted my lifestyle to include those activities which I can enjoy without pushing my feet to the limit.
I hope you continue to enjoy pain-free feet in the months and years ahead. Way to go Girl!!!!
Missy B.

BrianG on 8/25/02 at 21:10 (093525)

Congratulations Barbara, you are in the 95% of the PF sufferer's who heal without surgery, or other drastic actions. By coming to Scott's site, you get to meet a pretty good representation of the other 5%. I'm at 9 years, many others have suffered much longer than I. Unfortunatly 'time' is not the element, that is responsble for a cure in our cases.

BrianG

john h on 8/26/02 at 10:34 (093548)

Amen! Brian.

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 13:28 (093566)

Dear Brian,

Thanks for your response. I did not know that many people suffer for more than a couple of years. Thanks for brining it to my attention. I would have to say in my case that severe pain has diminished. I still have some pain when I wear the wrong shoes or when I am on my feet for too long. I don't think my feet will ever be truly 'normal'. I still require the use of Birkenstock sandles and I wear them whenever possible. Sure they look like old lady shoes or a real 'activists' shoe, but that is what is required for me to be 95% pain free. The other 5% percent is minimal and still allows me to go dancing, skiing, and some hiking (no 4,000 footers!). I guess you could say this may even be a condition that will be throughout my life. However, the initial severity lasted for about a year and a half where I was unable to do anything at all. The sandals, Reliv, and good arch support has minimized the severity so that I can still enjoy life in moderation. I'm just glad I didn't choose surgery!

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 13:37 (093569)

Thank you, Missy. I appreciate your words as they are encouraging to me as well. I'm with you. I was told that it would take over a year after surgery to get better. Also that it could get better by itself without surgery. Since both seemed to yield the same possibilities, I opted to try without the surgery. If I had the surgery, and the pain went away after a year, then I would always wonder. Was it the surgery that helped or time? So I opted just for time. If that didn't work and I couldn't live my life, I would certainly do what was needed to restore my ability to enjoy life again. In my particular case it was just the suffering it out and doing all I could do without surgery. With the encouragement of other with this problem, it helped me to endure the pain until it diminished. It is not 100% a cure, but the severity of the pain has diminished where I, too, could go back to a normal life in moderation! Good luck to you and keep wearing those Birkenstock and food supplements to help rebuild and replace the calcium where needed most!! We're on our way!!!!

Barbara

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 13:39 (093571)

Thanks John,

Well at least having this problems says one very good things about us....and that is...we are not couch potatoes!!!! Only active people have this problem!! Active is good!! Only wish our feet could cooperate better!!!

Suzanne D on 8/26/02 at 16:21 (093591)

Dear Barbara,

I am glad to read of your success! Thanks for sharing it with us and telling us what worked for you. I hope you never have any more serious problems with your feet.

I read your other posts here and wanted to ask you if the Birkenstock inserts you use are the light blue, 3/4 length ones. Those are the ones I wear which have given me good results.

When I found this site a year ago, I immediately went out and bought a pair of Arizona Birks. They helped me so much until around March, and that is when I started wearing the blue Birk inserts in lace-up SAS shoes. I wore them all summer, wishing I could enjoy the Birk sandals again in the heat, but every time I tried, my feet hurt.

Then a strange thing happened about a month ago: I got a bad case of poision ivy on two toes, made worse by my being allergic to the Caladryll cream I used. I ended up with a secondary infection and some very nasty blisters which required air to heal - along with antibiotics and prescription ointment.

I HAD to wear the Birks as that was my only choice at the time. That was right when our school year began, and I am a teacher. By the time my toes began healing (about 2 weeks later), the Birks felt good again! Perhaps the time was just right, or perhaps I had just not given the sandals enough of a chance. I guess I'll never know. Now, I alternate between the Birks and inserts in my SAS shoes. If I'm walking more than usual, I wear the lace-ups, then change into the sandals when I get home. For now, that seems to be helping a great deal.

Good luck to you, and thanks for sharing!
Suzanne :-)

Necee on 8/26/02 at 20:37 (093616)

Thanks for sharing your story with us Barbara, it's always uplifting to read posts that have a happy ending. I hope that you continue to improve, and do the things you enjoy in life. Some of us can heal without surgery, sometimes it just takes longer than we have patience for.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 23:00 (093628)

Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for writing! Yes, they are the light blue ones, the 3/4 kind. As long as I can wear those, I am all set.

I have a very new problem now. Its my right middle toe. It has a water bubble on top of it. I asked my dermatologist and he told me it was a synovial cyst. In other words a painless blister that never goes away. Wonder what THAT is. Pass it on...maybe you know someone who has this problem....I don't know whether to have it surgically cut or just leave it alone. Any ideas?

Good luck with your feet and thank the good Lord for a man like Birkenstock, whoever he is!

Barbara

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 23:12 (093629)

Thanks, Neecie

I appreciate your feedback. You can reach me @ (email removed) if you have any further comments or questions. Thanks!

Barbara

Kat K on 8/28/02 at 10:37 (093808)

I had an accident 10 years ago that broke my foot in 10 places, so when the intense pein started I thought I must have re-injured that foot. Then it got worse and worse, until I could not walk without a crutch.

The doctor finally took an xray and found a large bone spur. The podiatrist told me 1> I could do shots, 2> anti-inflammatory meds 3> surgery 4> foot inserts. I have read horror stories about shots, and am very allegic to almost every medication I have taken, I decided to pass on getting the shot. Surgery is not an option at this point. My insurance does not cover the professional foot inserts.....so I was left with buying inserts from the store and trying anti-inflammatory medication.

I had an almost immediate reaction to the anti-inflammitory medication, so I was back at square one, in pain and not sure what to do. I decided to try alternative methods.

I got a bottle of therapeutic grade ginger essential oil (which has very strong anti-inflammatory quailities)and rubbed on the bottom of my foot. Within 60 SECONDS the intense pain was so much better. Today I use store bought inserts, ginger oil, and watch my diet because certain foods cause the pain to get worse.

I am not over it yet, but I can walk without crutches so believe I am on the right path! Kat

Sara M on 10/15/02 at 19:43 (097571)

Anyone know where I can get Reliv food supplements posted by Barbara?

Barbara J on 10/15/02 at 21:31 (097584)

Dear Sara M.,

You can get Reliv products by contacting a Reliv representative in your area. You can do this by either going on the web namely http://www.reliv.com or you can call 1-800-RELIVE US

By the way, Sara, I went on my first hiking trip in 3 years! It was only 4-5 miles long and all I got was heel blisters but no heel pain!!! Granted I am limited as to how much I can do, but nevertheless I can still do all the things I love in moderation and I rejoice in that!! Good luck to you!

Barbara

john h on 8/24/02 at 08:48 (093399)

Way to go Barbara. As always, stories of cures or near cures provide hope.

Missy B on 8/24/02 at 10:51 (093404)

Barbara,
Thanks for your message of hope. It is always great to hear from someone who has been able to find relief without surgery. Yes, it does take a lot of perserverence, but for you it has been well worth the wait.
I opted for the surgery because I also had TT as well as PF and all the conservative measures had failed. I am happy to say that I have been lucky, in that, so far my surgery has been successful and at more than 7 months post-op, I am 90%+ improved over my pre-surgery condition. My Pod said it could take up to a year for total results, so I have a few more months for possible improvement. Like you, I wear by Birks most of the time, or my athletic shoes with orthotics in them. I have adjusted my lifestyle to include those activities which I can enjoy without pushing my feet to the limit.
I hope you continue to enjoy pain-free feet in the months and years ahead. Way to go Girl!!!!
Missy B.

BrianG on 8/25/02 at 21:10 (093525)

Congratulations Barbara, you are in the 95% of the PF sufferer's who heal without surgery, or other drastic actions. By coming to Scott's site, you get to meet a pretty good representation of the other 5%. I'm at 9 years, many others have suffered much longer than I. Unfortunatly 'time' is not the element, that is responsble for a cure in our cases.

BrianG

john h on 8/26/02 at 10:34 (093548)

Amen! Brian.

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 13:28 (093566)

Dear Brian,

Thanks for your response. I did not know that many people suffer for more than a couple of years. Thanks for brining it to my attention. I would have to say in my case that severe pain has diminished. I still have some pain when I wear the wrong shoes or when I am on my feet for too long. I don't think my feet will ever be truly 'normal'. I still require the use of Birkenstock sandles and I wear them whenever possible. Sure they look like old lady shoes or a real 'activists' shoe, but that is what is required for me to be 95% pain free. The other 5% percent is minimal and still allows me to go dancing, skiing, and some hiking (no 4,000 footers!). I guess you could say this may even be a condition that will be throughout my life. However, the initial severity lasted for about a year and a half where I was unable to do anything at all. The sandals, Reliv, and good arch support has minimized the severity so that I can still enjoy life in moderation. I'm just glad I didn't choose surgery!

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 13:37 (093569)

Thank you, Missy. I appreciate your words as they are encouraging to me as well. I'm with you. I was told that it would take over a year after surgery to get better. Also that it could get better by itself without surgery. Since both seemed to yield the same possibilities, I opted to try without the surgery. If I had the surgery, and the pain went away after a year, then I would always wonder. Was it the surgery that helped or time? So I opted just for time. If that didn't work and I couldn't live my life, I would certainly do what was needed to restore my ability to enjoy life again. In my particular case it was just the suffering it out and doing all I could do without surgery. With the encouragement of other with this problem, it helped me to endure the pain until it diminished. It is not 100% a cure, but the severity of the pain has diminished where I, too, could go back to a normal life in moderation! Good luck to you and keep wearing those Birkenstock and food supplements to help rebuild and replace the calcium where needed most!! We're on our way!!!!

Barbara

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 13:39 (093571)

Thanks John,

Well at least having this problems says one very good things about us....and that is...we are not couch potatoes!!!! Only active people have this problem!! Active is good!! Only wish our feet could cooperate better!!!

Suzanne D on 8/26/02 at 16:21 (093591)

Dear Barbara,

I am glad to read of your success! Thanks for sharing it with us and telling us what worked for you. I hope you never have any more serious problems with your feet.

I read your other posts here and wanted to ask you if the Birkenstock inserts you use are the light blue, 3/4 length ones. Those are the ones I wear which have given me good results.

When I found this site a year ago, I immediately went out and bought a pair of Arizona Birks. They helped me so much until around March, and that is when I started wearing the blue Birk inserts in lace-up SAS shoes. I wore them all summer, wishing I could enjoy the Birk sandals again in the heat, but every time I tried, my feet hurt.

Then a strange thing happened about a month ago: I got a bad case of poision ivy on two toes, made worse by my being allergic to the Caladryll cream I used. I ended up with a secondary infection and some very nasty blisters which required air to heal - along with antibiotics and prescription ointment.

I HAD to wear the Birks as that was my only choice at the time. That was right when our school year began, and I am a teacher. By the time my toes began healing (about 2 weeks later), the Birks felt good again! Perhaps the time was just right, or perhaps I had just not given the sandals enough of a chance. I guess I'll never know. Now, I alternate between the Birks and inserts in my SAS shoes. If I'm walking more than usual, I wear the lace-ups, then change into the sandals when I get home. For now, that seems to be helping a great deal.

Good luck to you, and thanks for sharing!
Suzanne :-)

Necee on 8/26/02 at 20:37 (093616)

Thanks for sharing your story with us Barbara, it's always uplifting to read posts that have a happy ending. I hope that you continue to improve, and do the things you enjoy in life. Some of us can heal without surgery, sometimes it just takes longer than we have patience for.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 23:00 (093628)

Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for writing! Yes, they are the light blue ones, the 3/4 kind. As long as I can wear those, I am all set.

I have a very new problem now. Its my right middle toe. It has a water bubble on top of it. I asked my dermatologist and he told me it was a synovial cyst. In other words a painless blister that never goes away. Wonder what THAT is. Pass it on...maybe you know someone who has this problem....I don't know whether to have it surgically cut or just leave it alone. Any ideas?

Good luck with your feet and thank the good Lord for a man like Birkenstock, whoever he is!

Barbara

Barbara J on 8/26/02 at 23:12 (093629)

Thanks, Neecie

I appreciate your feedback. You can reach me @ (email removed) if you have any further comments or questions. Thanks!

Barbara

Kat K on 8/28/02 at 10:37 (093808)

I had an accident 10 years ago that broke my foot in 10 places, so when the intense pein started I thought I must have re-injured that foot. Then it got worse and worse, until I could not walk without a crutch.

The doctor finally took an xray and found a large bone spur. The podiatrist told me 1> I could do shots, 2> anti-inflammatory meds 3> surgery 4> foot inserts. I have read horror stories about shots, and am very allegic to almost every medication I have taken, I decided to pass on getting the shot. Surgery is not an option at this point. My insurance does not cover the professional foot inserts.....so I was left with buying inserts from the store and trying anti-inflammatory medication.

I had an almost immediate reaction to the anti-inflammitory medication, so I was back at square one, in pain and not sure what to do. I decided to try alternative methods.

I got a bottle of therapeutic grade ginger essential oil (which has very strong anti-inflammatory quailities)and rubbed on the bottom of my foot. Within 60 SECONDS the intense pain was so much better. Today I use store bought inserts, ginger oil, and watch my diet because certain foods cause the pain to get worse.

I am not over it yet, but I can walk without crutches so believe I am on the right path! Kat

Sara M on 10/15/02 at 19:43 (097571)

Anyone know where I can get Reliv food supplements posted by Barbara?

Barbara J on 10/15/02 at 21:31 (097584)

Dear Sara M.,

You can get Reliv products by contacting a Reliv representative in your area. You can do this by either going on the web namely http://www.reliv.com or you can call 1-800-RELIVE US

By the way, Sara, I went on my first hiking trip in 3 years! It was only 4-5 miles long and all I got was heel blisters but no heel pain!!! Granted I am limited as to how much I can do, but nevertheless I can still do all the things I love in moderation and I rejoice in that!! Good luck to you!

Barbara