Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help? chronic bilateral pf...3 years and counting

Posted by lou w. on 8/24/02 at 13:16 (093414)

Hi-

1)I appreicate that you Docs take the time to participate here...I really do.

2)OK, now my questions (at the bottom). Background: I used to run 20-30 miles/week. Would occasionally get pf in one or other foot, and would stay off it for a few weeks (no running), ice it down, etc. It would go away. About 3 years ago, I got it in both feet. For the first year, it was so bad I would take a taxi for any distance more than a block (I lived in NYC so that was feasible tho expensive). Since then, I've been to 6 orthopedists, multi-modal physical therapy, deep tissue massage, night splints (which made me grind my teeth within minutes so I had to abandon them right away) stretching, soft otc orthotics and hard custom-fit orthotics. The hard orthotics and the deep tissue massage seem to have helped, and perhaps the daily stretching helped a smidge, but in the last year or so I haven't made any forward progress. I have become overweight from the lack of ability to do the exercise I like (was ~185 at running weight, now I'm 230 lbs at 6'1'). I know there are plenty of exercises (swimming, etc) I could do that would help, but haven't found one I like enough yet.

My last orthopedist said 'Stop orthopedist shopping. The only thing you can be told that you haven't heard is that you need surgery, which you don't. The cortisone shots won't help either, other than temporarily. Either it'll get better someday or it won't'

Is there anything sane left for me to consider beyond weight-loss (which says easy but does hard). Also, how likely is it that losing 30 lbs will materially affect my pf? Most orthos have said 'can't hurt might help' which hasn't engendered in me the monomaniacal commitment it will take to lose 30 lbs.

Thanks in advance for your taking the time to read my whining... :)

Re: help? chronic bilateral pf...3 years and counting

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/02 at 18:56 (093431)

It your pain is coming from the bottom of your heel, which is what we call proximal insertional plantar fasciitis with or without a bone spur. If you have no nerve problems. IF you have tried multiple conservative treatment which you really have. then ESWT is the next step. We have used ESWT for three years with great results. We use the dornier epos which has inline ultrasound that can pin point the area where the tears in your fascia are. It is the tears in the attachment of the plantar fascia that is causing your foot pain. The reason that you still have the pain is because the tears haven't healed. ESWT is a non invastive procedure that used sound waves to treat and heal the tears. This is a reparative treatment. If you would like our ESWT informational packet please feel free to contact me at my e-mail (email removed). Feel free to ask any questions about this treatment you may have.

Re: help? chronic bilateral pf...3 years and counting

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/02 at 18:56 (093431)

It your pain is coming from the bottom of your heel, which is what we call proximal insertional plantar fasciitis with or without a bone spur. If you have no nerve problems. IF you have tried multiple conservative treatment which you really have. then ESWT is the next step. We have used ESWT for three years with great results. We use the dornier epos which has inline ultrasound that can pin point the area where the tears in your fascia are. It is the tears in the attachment of the plantar fascia that is causing your foot pain. The reason that you still have the pain is because the tears haven't healed. ESWT is a non invastive procedure that used sound waves to treat and heal the tears. This is a reparative treatment. If you would like our ESWT informational packet please feel free to contact me at my e-mail (email removed). Feel free to ask any questions about this treatment you may have.