Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot surgery

Posted by Tracey A. on 8/24/02 at 21:44 (093439)

Dear Doctors,

I was told by an attorney that A orthopedic surgeon looked at my medical records and said he didn't see anything wrong with the surgeries. He did say that I was taken into surgery to soon, but said if I had waited for another year the same results would have happened. He also said plantar fascia surgery will not resolve pain.

My question is: If this surgery does not help the pain of plantar fascia then why is this surgery done? it seems to be a waste of time.
Why don't doctors tell the patient that it doesn't get rid of the pain?

I'm worse than before all of the surgeries, you see I have had 3 surgeries since June 7,2000. If I was given more info about this surgery, meaning informed consent I would never had the surgery.

Now I go to a doctor for pain management amd are taking pain meds. plus meds for the depression I've been dealing with for nearly 2 years.

Also, why don't doctors step up and help a patient? Doctors are afraid to testify against another doctor because of the fear of what the doctors may do to them. That is very selfish because a patient should be able to sue a doctor for the pain and the medical expenses, I don't think I should have to pay out the money for my care.

Since June 2000 and 2 more sugeries I am in bad shape, haven't work since June 2000. So, what can I do now????????

Re: Foot surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/02 at 09:39 (093462)

The goal of plantar fascia surgery is to get rid of pain. IT is vey simple

F.H. on 8/25/02 at 09:57 (093467)

Unfortunately you are among the ones who didn't get relief from surgery. If we all sued the doctors that didn't give us enough information about PF we would have serious trouble. The best thing you can do at this point is to 'manage' your pain and find a doctor that is willing to help you on the level you are at now. No sense relfecting on 'what could have been' (unless you had a true legal case...malpractice, cut the wrong area etc.) it will not help you. This site will give you support.

Re: To Tracey ( rather long) Foot surgery

Pauline on 8/25/02 at 10:56 (093475)

Tracey,
I'm not a doctor but here are my honest thoughts about the problem you posted. Personally, I think your between a rock and a hard place at this point.

A new doctor's nightmare so to speak. You've already had what I call the snow-balling foot surgeries (enough for a lifetime) with no relief and you've contacted an attorney to size up the situation. This combination isn't one that makes a new doctor eager to take on your case.

Unfortunatly, you found out first hand that there is no guarantee when it comes to a surgical cure for P.F. Over and over we see your story told on the surgery board, yet people in pain still turn to this treatment as a way out thinking or being told it will help their condition. From what I've read on this site for the past 3 years this doesn't seem to be the case a good deal of the time.

The pattern seen here appears to be while a patient is still in a cast or boot or on crutches they do pretty well. Then when they begin to apply weight by trying to walk their stories of success deteriorate rather quickly.

If you go back and read the entries on the surgery site following the people by name you too can see this same pattern emerge.

So where do you go from here? All I can say is don't rush into any additional surgery. Continue with your pain management because that will give you the support and possible pain relief needed to begin to search for the answers you need.

As far as doctors telling patients surgery doesn't get rid of the pain that's another whole ballgame. Up until the development of ESWT, surgery was the only other treatment that some doctors felt might benefit their patients when conservative treatment failed. The problem, as I see it, was the length of time doctors waited before offering this treatment and the type of surgery offered. Some are certainly more eager than others and all have their own opinion on which surgical procedure they think best and prefer doing. Like any surgery some patients may get fair maybe even good results while others ended up like you. No guarantee's provided.
You pay your money and based on what the doctor tells you take your chances. This is true with any surgery. Problem is who's fault is it when a surgery turns bad or causes additional problems?????

Is it the fault of the patient in pain who cried for the doctor to do something, or is it the doctor who did what he'd be trained to do and thought he could help? Were there mistakes made? Were you told untrue things? Were you rushed into surgery? Did you follow post- op orders? These and many more questions in mal-practice cases are the things that are cleared up only in courts of law. No one can answer them here.

My advice to you would be if you truely feel you have a cause for mal-practice then continue to seek out help in that area. If you plan to see another physician I'd suggest you seek an opinion from one of the best Orthopedic Surgeon in Foot and Ankles that you can find (even if it means traveling out of state). You might want to check the listings in a book titled 'America's Top Doctors'. If you plan on seeing a new doctor don't mention the words lawyer, lawsuit, or court because I'm afraid no doctor in his right mind will want to take part in that play.

Gather your medical records and write him/her a letter ahead of your visit so they can become acquainted with your case while you wait for your appointment. Usually you will get a response by phone or mail.

Then go to your appointment prepared with all your medical records in hand, a long list of questions, and because you want an expert opinion on your present condition. Seek the answers you need. Try and find out what if anything went wrong and your best options for correcting the problems.

Your in a very difficult situation and I sincerely hope that even with all the surgeries you've had someone will be able to offer you a solution to your foot problems. I wish you the very best of luck and my prayers that you can and will find help whether it be medical, legal or both.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/02 at 11:30 (093481)

Good advice and a very tough situation. I repeat DON'T jump into any additional surgeries at this point in time. I know you wouldn't but just to make sure. Off the top if my head I would have a brace made that would support the foot and ankle and lower leg. This brace must take of the weight off of the plantar fascia

Re: SSD ?

BrianG on 8/25/02 at 19:51 (093508)

Hi Tracey,

Since you've already been out of work for 2 years, and you don't sound very optimistic about returning, you should consider Social Security Disability. You'll need a good doctor, to back you. He can be your Pod, or a primary. Also. I'd advise an attorney who specializes in SSD. It's so easy to make a wrong turn, you want the best guidance you can get. I am living proof, prople with PF can receive SSD!

BrianG, not a doc

PS: Document, document, document!!!

Sondra Smith on 8/29/02 at 07:48 (093859)

I do have relief. The only pain I am in is from the incision.

Julie F on 10/24/02 at 21:52 (098310)

Brian, I wanted to ask you if you had surgery for PF. How long did it take to get your disability approved? I am in similar situation and have had two surgeries, much therapy, too many drugs and so much depression. I still cannot walk... work or enjoy anything. I applied for disability and was denied now I am having to hire attorney and they say it will be 9 months before the hearing..... almost ready to give up. Good luck to you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/02 at 09:39 (093462)

The goal of plantar fascia surgery is to get rid of pain. IT is vey simple

F.H. on 8/25/02 at 09:57 (093467)

Unfortunately you are among the ones who didn't get relief from surgery. If we all sued the doctors that didn't give us enough information about PF we would have serious trouble. The best thing you can do at this point is to 'manage' your pain and find a doctor that is willing to help you on the level you are at now. No sense relfecting on 'what could have been' (unless you had a true legal case...malpractice, cut the wrong area etc.) it will not help you. This site will give you support.

Pauline on 8/25/02 at 10:56 (093475)

Tracey,
I'm not a doctor but here are my honest thoughts about the problem you posted. Personally, I think your between a rock and a hard place at this point.

A new doctor's nightmare so to speak. You've already had what I call the snow-balling foot surgeries (enough for a lifetime) with no relief and you've contacted an attorney to size up the situation. This combination isn't one that makes a new doctor eager to take on your case.

Unfortunatly, you found out first hand that there is no guarantee when it comes to a surgical cure for P.F. Over and over we see your story told on the surgery board, yet people in pain still turn to this treatment as a way out thinking or being told it will help their condition. From what I've read on this site for the past 3 years this doesn't seem to be the case a good deal of the time.

The pattern seen here appears to be while a patient is still in a cast or boot or on crutches they do pretty well. Then when they begin to apply weight by trying to walk their stories of success deteriorate rather quickly.

If you go back and read the entries on the surgery site following the people by name you too can see this same pattern emerge.

So where do you go from here? All I can say is don't rush into any additional surgery. Continue with your pain management because that will give you the support and possible pain relief needed to begin to search for the answers you need.

As far as doctors telling patients surgery doesn't get rid of the pain that's another whole ballgame. Up until the development of ESWT, surgery was the only other treatment that some doctors felt might benefit their patients when conservative treatment failed. The problem, as I see it, was the length of time doctors waited before offering this treatment and the type of surgery offered. Some are certainly more eager than others and all have their own opinion on which surgical procedure they think best and prefer doing. Like any surgery some patients may get fair maybe even good results while others ended up like you. No guarantee's provided.
You pay your money and based on what the doctor tells you take your chances. This is true with any surgery. Problem is who's fault is it when a surgery turns bad or causes additional problems?????

Is it the fault of the patient in pain who cried for the doctor to do something, or is it the doctor who did what he'd be trained to do and thought he could help? Were there mistakes made? Were you told untrue things? Were you rushed into surgery? Did you follow post- op orders? These and many more questions in mal-practice cases are the things that are cleared up only in courts of law. No one can answer them here.

My advice to you would be if you truely feel you have a cause for mal-practice then continue to seek out help in that area. If you plan to see another physician I'd suggest you seek an opinion from one of the best Orthopedic Surgeon in Foot and Ankles that you can find (even if it means traveling out of state). You might want to check the listings in a book titled 'America's Top Doctors'. If you plan on seeing a new doctor don't mention the words lawyer, lawsuit, or court because I'm afraid no doctor in his right mind will want to take part in that play.

Gather your medical records and write him/her a letter ahead of your visit so they can become acquainted with your case while you wait for your appointment. Usually you will get a response by phone or mail.

Then go to your appointment prepared with all your medical records in hand, a long list of questions, and because you want an expert opinion on your present condition. Seek the answers you need. Try and find out what if anything went wrong and your best options for correcting the problems.

Your in a very difficult situation and I sincerely hope that even with all the surgeries you've had someone will be able to offer you a solution to your foot problems. I wish you the very best of luck and my prayers that you can and will find help whether it be medical, legal or both.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/02 at 11:30 (093481)

Good advice and a very tough situation. I repeat DON'T jump into any additional surgeries at this point in time. I know you wouldn't but just to make sure. Off the top if my head I would have a brace made that would support the foot and ankle and lower leg. This brace must take of the weight off of the plantar fascia

BrianG on 8/25/02 at 19:51 (093508)

Hi Tracey,

Since you've already been out of work for 2 years, and you don't sound very optimistic about returning, you should consider Social Security Disability. You'll need a good doctor, to back you. He can be your Pod, or a primary. Also. I'd advise an attorney who specializes in SSD. It's so easy to make a wrong turn, you want the best guidance you can get. I am living proof, prople with PF can receive SSD!

BrianG, not a doc

PS: Document, document, document!!!

Sondra Smith on 8/29/02 at 07:48 (093859)

I do have relief. The only pain I am in is from the incision.

Julie F on 10/24/02 at 21:52 (098310)

Brian, I wanted to ask you if you had surgery for PF. How long did it take to get your disability approved? I am in similar situation and have had two surgeries, much therapy, too many drugs and so much depression. I still cannot walk... work or enjoy anything. I applied for disability and was denied now I am having to hire attorney and they say it will be 9 months before the hearing..... almost ready to give up. Good luck to you.