Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ibuprofen Gel -- New Source

Posted by RalphP on 8/24/02 at 22:54 (093445)

I've seen a few posts here from people who were helped by the Dolgit ibuprofen cream that was, until recently, available through Scott and one other source, and were frustrated that this product had recently become temporarily unavailable in the U.S. I was in the same boat, but managed after some digging to find a new source, so I wanted to let people know about it. It's a company in England. The following is a link to their web page:

http://www.trimilin.com/uk2shop-45.htm

I ordered several tubes of Ibuprofen Forte 10% gel from this company a few weeks ago, and have been very pleased at the outcome. They got it to me in six days, for a total cost, including shipping, of about $18 per 100 gram tube -- a bit less than the less-potent 100 gram tubes of 5% ibuprofen cost last time I orderd them. The stuff seems to work fine. They also sell 5% gel, at a substantially lower price.

Note that when you complete the order for on the web, they are a little vague about the transatlantic shipping costs, but that turned out to be very reasonable -- in my case 9 pounds for 3 tubes, or about $13.

By the way, after a little more digging, I found that the 10% gel appears to have been approved for OTC sale by the British equivalent of the FDA, in 2000. Before then it was prescription only.

Re: Ibuprofen Gel -- New Source

Andrue on 8/25/02 at 04:50 (093453)

The gel isn't even OTC - it's just lying on the shelves like Aspirin and all the other pain treatments. My local supermarket stocks it next to heat rubs and actually stocks three kinds. One by Nurofen, another that includes menthol and their own brand.

Pricing-wise it's on par with the pills.

BrianG on 8/25/02 at 18:57 (093501)

Hi Andrue,

Have you used it? And, how did it work for you? Is it popular in Europe, do lots of folks use it? Thanks in advance.

BrianG

RalphP on 8/25/02 at 22:30 (093533)

The British seem to be ahead of the U.S. on this. In the U.S. it appears that the only readily available topical anti-inflammatory is trolamine or methyl salicylate. I tried those when the supply of ibuprofen cream dried up, and they didn't seem to work nearly as well for me. I wonder why no American manufacturer has started making ibuprofen cream or gel.

Julie on 8/26/02 at 02:30 (093537)

Ibuprofen gel has been widely available in the UK for a long time, and yes, it is popular. I have friends who have found it helpful, but it has never done anything for me - either for PF, or minor twinges elsewhere.

john h on 8/26/02 at 10:32 (093547)

I really have neve found a cream that helped me much either Julie. I still use Jade. Most just give you a heat or cooling effect that mask the pain for a while if you are lucky.

Pauline on 8/26/02 at 15:43 (093586)

I actually had an increase in swelling following the use of the Ibuprofen cream when my feet were highly inflamed. I too still use the Jade Cream. It helped me a lot. I keep it in the house and use it for many of the other conditions listed on the information sheet Dr. Reynolds enclosed with my orders.

Andrue on 8/27/02 at 05:35 (093635)

I've used it but I'm in two minds as to how effective it is. It does work as a painkiller (as effectively as the tablets but the effect doesn't last quite as long:3 hours instead of 4) but I don't know that it's any better at helping cure the problem.

As a more stomach friendly way of applying Ibuprofen it's okay but because of the shorter duration and similar dosing requirements I prefer the pills. With those I can keep myself dosed all day whereas with the gel I find that I either have to exceed the recommended dosage (by one application) or accept half an hour or so of increased discomfort.

One point of course is that I've never had any indication of NSAID intolerance so taking the maximum dosage orally is fairly safe for me.

I'm not actually sure what the effects of exceeding the gel dosage would be. Obviously the GI tract problems are circumvented but what about the kidneys and liver? Perhaps one of the Drs. could comment on that.

Andrue on 8/27/02 at 05:40 (093636)

That's interesting about the swelling. I have begun to suspect that myself. When I use the gel I find that when I stand after a long rest I get a brief tingling feeling as if something is being compressed. I am currently not using any NSAIDs and (par for the course where I'm concerned) I can't honestly say there's much difference.

Hmm. Well okay it's /different/ but it's no worse. I guess that's just PF though. I can have a variety of symptoms depending on what I do (rest/gel/pills/no rest) but all are about equal on the discomfort scale (1 or 2 out of 10).

Andrue on 8/25/02 at 04:50 (093453)

The gel isn't even OTC - it's just lying on the shelves like Aspirin and all the other pain treatments. My local supermarket stocks it next to heat rubs and actually stocks three kinds. One by Nurofen, another that includes menthol and their own brand.

Pricing-wise it's on par with the pills.

BrianG on 8/25/02 at 18:57 (093501)

Hi Andrue,

Have you used it? And, how did it work for you? Is it popular in Europe, do lots of folks use it? Thanks in advance.

BrianG

RalphP on 8/25/02 at 22:30 (093533)

The British seem to be ahead of the U.S. on this. In the U.S. it appears that the only readily available topical anti-inflammatory is trolamine or methyl salicylate. I tried those when the supply of ibuprofen cream dried up, and they didn't seem to work nearly as well for me. I wonder why no American manufacturer has started making ibuprofen cream or gel.

Julie on 8/26/02 at 02:30 (093537)

Ibuprofen gel has been widely available in the UK for a long time, and yes, it is popular. I have friends who have found it helpful, but it has never done anything for me - either for PF, or minor twinges elsewhere.

john h on 8/26/02 at 10:32 (093547)

I really have neve found a cream that helped me much either Julie. I still use Jade. Most just give you a heat or cooling effect that mask the pain for a while if you are lucky.

Pauline on 8/26/02 at 15:43 (093586)

I actually had an increase in swelling following the use of the Ibuprofen cream when my feet were highly inflamed. I too still use the Jade Cream. It helped me a lot. I keep it in the house and use it for many of the other conditions listed on the information sheet Dr. Reynolds enclosed with my orders.

Andrue on 8/27/02 at 05:35 (093635)

I've used it but I'm in two minds as to how effective it is. It does work as a painkiller (as effectively as the tablets but the effect doesn't last quite as long:3 hours instead of 4) but I don't know that it's any better at helping cure the problem.

As a more stomach friendly way of applying Ibuprofen it's okay but because of the shorter duration and similar dosing requirements I prefer the pills. With those I can keep myself dosed all day whereas with the gel I find that I either have to exceed the recommended dosage (by one application) or accept half an hour or so of increased discomfort.

One point of course is that I've never had any indication of NSAID intolerance so taking the maximum dosage orally is fairly safe for me.

I'm not actually sure what the effects of exceeding the gel dosage would be. Obviously the GI tract problems are circumvented but what about the kidneys and liver? Perhaps one of the Drs. could comment on that.

Andrue on 8/27/02 at 05:40 (093636)

That's interesting about the swelling. I have begun to suspect that myself. When I use the gel I find that when I stand after a long rest I get a brief tingling feeling as if something is being compressed. I am currently not using any NSAIDs and (par for the course where I'm concerned) I can't honestly say there's much difference.

Hmm. Well okay it's /different/ but it's no worse. I guess that's just PF though. I can have a variety of symptoms depending on what I do (rest/gel/pills/no rest) but all are about equal on the discomfort scale (1 or 2 out of 10).

mark gale on 7/12/09 at 11:37 (258798)

Andru http://www.trimilin is a trampoline mfg. I did not see anything on Ibuprofen gel.

Please send me the correct refernece or tell me what to do.

Thank you

Mark Gale
cag737 at sbcglobal.net