Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel and MS

Posted by Ann E on 8/25/02 at 16:48 (093495)

I was diagonosed with tarsal tunnel last spring. When the calves of my legs became spastic and my ankles and knees felt tight, cramping, heavy feet and legs, muscle spasms my pod sent me to a neuro to check for MS. My MRI showed white spots in the frontal lobe. I have had 3-4 distinct episodes each time I had a remission then out of the blue it comes on again. My spinal tap came back clear (I was in remission when I had it) . The neuro said my tarsal tunnel may be causing these wild symptoms. My legs become spastic and rigid when there is a low pressure system or high heat. I also have hand tremor and bladder urgency. Does tarsal tunnel cause all these symptoms? My ankles are still swollen but my feet aren't in any severe pain.

Re: tarsal tunnel and MS

wendyn on 8/25/02 at 22:00 (093530)

Ann, I have never heard of TTS causing symptoms like hand tremor and bladder urgency. Have they conclusively ruled out MS? (I don't know how a final diagnosis is made - is that with the spinal tap?)

Ann E on 8/26/02 at 10:51 (093550)

There isn't a definitive test for MS. A spinal tap indicates the presence of anti bodies present in MS patients. 15% of spinal taps are false reads especially if the person is in remission. They also use MRI and the presence of optic neuritis(about 50% of MS patients have optic neuritis). I do not have optic neuritis. I have symptoms and an MRI and tarsal tunnel.

wendyn on 8/25/02 at 22:00 (093530)

Ann, I have never heard of TTS causing symptoms like hand tremor and bladder urgency. Have they conclusively ruled out MS? (I don't know how a final diagnosis is made - is that with the spinal tap?)

Ann E on 8/26/02 at 10:51 (093550)

There isn't a definitive test for MS. A spinal tap indicates the presence of anti bodies present in MS patients. 15% of spinal taps are false reads especially if the person is in remission. They also use MRI and the presence of optic neuritis(about 50% of MS patients have optic neuritis). I do not have optic neuritis. I have symptoms and an MRI and tarsal tunnel.