Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dornier

Posted by JennyY on 8/25/02 at 19:16 (093505)

With the Dornier machine what exactly can they see? Can they see actual tears in the fascia? It will be easy to pinpoint the pain in one of my feet. It is quite awful right now. The other foot is pretty calm now (It is usually the one that hurts constantly and more severe)and I am not sure that I can pinpoint where most of the pain is in that foot. My other thought is that maybe I should only do the one foot right now. Is there a typical protocol for care post-ESWT? Do people who have been using night splints or anti-inflammatory drugs usually continue or try to go without? Is it best to wear a ' cast-type boot' to keep the foot immobile or is it better to walk in your regular shoes. With the latter, you will be stretching the fascia with each step - do you want this?

Re: Dornier

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/02 at 20:36 (093516)

You see the exact area where the plantar fascia insertesinto the heel bone. You can see and measure the thickness of the plantar fascia which is indicative of tears and inflamation. Most important when doing the treatment you can keep the energy focus exactly at the insertion of the plantar fascia regardless of any movement by the patient. You can direct the shockwave across the entire width of the plantar fascia without any fear of damage to any arteries and or nerves. or hitting of the bottom of the heel bone . I hope that this is helpful

Here is the FDA protocol that was used in the study.
Stretching
Ice when needed
No NSAID
shoes with alot of padding.

I use both ice and heat
I will allow the patient to use NSAID as an analgesic
Shoes with a both padding and stiff shank

Re: Dornier

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/02 at 20:36 (093516)

You see the exact area where the plantar fascia insertesinto the heel bone. You can see and measure the thickness of the plantar fascia which is indicative of tears and inflamation. Most important when doing the treatment you can keep the energy focus exactly at the insertion of the plantar fascia regardless of any movement by the patient. You can direct the shockwave across the entire width of the plantar fascia without any fear of damage to any arteries and or nerves. or hitting of the bottom of the heel bone . I hope that this is helpful

Here is the FDA protocol that was used in the study.
Stretching
Ice when needed
No NSAID
shoes with alot of padding.

I use both ice and heat
I will allow the patient to use NSAID as an analgesic
Shoes with a both padding and stiff shank