Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

mystery clogs revealed!

Posted by elliott on 8/26/02 at 09:26 (093542)

OK, after a 5-day trial period (longer would have been better, but I'm under extreme pressure to report the findings :-)), here's my report on my new clogs, the Bastad Donatello (say what?!). Some of the readers here trying to find fancy but functional footwear they can wear at work with their dress clothes may be very interested.

First, a word about how I found them. I wanted something to wear around the house that I could slip on even when I get out of bed--so no ankle strap--but something also giving me enough support. It is my belief that just about all the sandals and clogs out there are designed with far too much cushioning and flex for those with foot problems, certainly the flatfooted, and just about all the hits in my web search had words like 'cushioned', 'lighter-than-air', flexible, etc. Except one, which used words like 'orthopedic' and 'support': Bastad. The full name is something like Troentorp of Bastad, or TroentorptoffelBastad, named after the town and city in Sweden bearing those names, but everyone calls them Bastad.

The key thing about Bastad clogs is that the midsole is made out of wood. There's a lot of tradition behind that. They don't just cut it and slop it on. They treat it first, soften it a bit, shape it. The quality of the clogs is just unbelievable; others pale by comparison. (I tried on Merrell once in a store--way flexy, no support; bought a Salomon--better support, but too itchy and toe-crushing.) The key steps in putting the clog together are done by hand. They should last a very long time, especially since there will be no real midsole compression to speak of. Most of the few Bastad dealers are on the west coast; so if there's no store near you, mail order is the way to go (if a half size, size up).

As far as how they work for me: I love them! Can't wait to put my feet in them every day. They are unbelievably comfortable. This is despite it giving the feeling of being in high heels, all the more surprising given my flat foot. In fact, the smooth grooves (no bumps) of the last seem to fit me as if it were designed for my foot. Despite the heel lift, the toes do not get jammed into the front. These clogs are really working. I don't have PF, but I do have some residual TTS nervy pain in one foot, as well as, apparently, a structural defect giving me heel pain and instep weakness in the other. Wearing the clogs gives me no TTS pain at all, so these may be a good choice for TTS sufferers. Staying on my feet long enough will still give me pain in the other foot whatever I wear, and it's possible my custom orthotics do a better job for the heel than the clogs, but I should hope so. I'm also a little bit leery about not wearing my orthotics enough. But these clogs delay and minimize that heel pain, so they are a real gem. They may even do better for the instep, at least while standing still. Note: one's back may feel different while standing in them.

As far as minuses, due to the higher heel and clog design, I'd be hesitant to wear them outside or walk too fast in them (I'm a guy :-)). It is slightly unstable in the heel when walking, but less so if you learn to strike midfoot. Many here complain about not being able to stand in the same position for too long. The clog's key strength is to be able to stand with little or no pain for a long time in the same place; it's just unbelievable. Another minus is that I originally was looking for something lighter to wear to the bathroom and all. These are heavy, using quality leather, so not something you'll want to step out of the shower into. It IS something which can be worn at work in style.

Here is the one I bought and the source I bought it from:

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp?&Age=Adult&Gender=Male&Category=Casual&Profile=2&GeneralWidth=R&Color=1561&Req=prof&Subcat=30&Page=1&Style=1797

Given shipping was free and they gave me a discount for my first order, the total came to only around $83. There's a few more models available on that site.

It is unisex styling. From the front of the clog, it looks sorta like a motorcycle boot. From the back it looks like an orthopedic clog. From the lateral side, it looks like a conservative clog. From the inner side, it looks like just about the coolest, hippest, most chic design (a bit too feminine for me), something maybe my niece would wear. Regardless, you will get favorable comments from onlookers. Some of the models really look dressy and fashionable, unlike Birks, which, if they happen to work for you, are plain ugly.

There seem to be two main types of Bastad clogs and two soles. One type comes with an adjustable buckle, one without (instead with a cushioned layer over the instep). I opted for the one with, as I have an extremely low instep, and I was afraid the standard clog would fit too loose, and in fact I had to add a few extra holes to the band to get a good fit, detracting slightly from the clog's looks, a minus. Mine also has the newer so-called chef's sole, which means that there's a thicker layer of polyurethane on the bottom instead of more wood. Probably slightly less stable, but slightly more comfortable when standing all day in them, hence the name. If I continue to love them enough, I may get another pair of the older more woodsy model for work.

Here's another link:

http://www.solvangshoe.com/bastad.html

As you can see, when the photo is taken too closely, some clogs may appear a little gaudy-looking. All clogs have those metal studs, or rivets. They are what's used to nail the leather upper to the clog, supposedly superior to using inside staples. The second photo seems to be mine in black nubuck. I think I made the right choice taking black leather instead.

Another link:

http://www.scandiaimports.com/clothing/bastad/monet.htm

Seems to hint that nubuck is indeed more feminine.

Another link:

http://www.scandinavian-south.com/clogs.htm

Refers to Bastad as the highest quality clogs in the world. Believable if you own a pair. Nice models in this link. I might go for the unpainted woodsy bottom the next time around. At the very bottom of the page is the original Maseur sandal mentioned on these boards; I wouldn't dare wear something looking so unstable, but if it works for you...

Next link, with lots of models:

http://clogsnmore.safeshopper.com/2/cat2.htm?424

Next link with great prices on probably less attractive discontinued models:

http://www.northener.com/indexes/swedish_clogs_1.html

Link with some history of the Bastad clog:

http://www.net5000.com/nordic/clogs/clogs1.htm

Next two links contain some reviews, FWTW:

http://www.reviewshoes.com/brands/bastad_shoes.asp

http://www.wizardofshoes.com/reviews/read_reviews.asp?brand=Bastad+Shoes&category=shoes&type=bastad

More colors:

http://www.thesprucetree.com/Bastadcg.htm

Again, these clogs may be a viable solution to many's needs for fancy footwear at the workplace, as well as lounging around home. A search on 'Bastad' on these boards brings up one hit back in '99, someone named Roberta on the west coast, who claimed she had no pain while wearing them. You may want to give Bastad clogs a try. A lot to possibly gain, nothing to lose but some minor shipping costs.

---

Re: mystery clogs revealed!

Pauline on 8/26/02 at 14:09 (093574)

Elliott,
I always enjoy your posts because they are so complete and factual. Your clog with the interesting name almost sounds like a renegade in foot fashion. Sturdy yet comfortable.

When it comes to sizing, I long for the day we can have universal lasts world wide so a size 7 1/2 shoe is the same size in any language no matter where it's manufacturered.

Thanks for the report.

Re: so are you ordering a pair? :-)

elliott on 8/26/02 at 14:29 (093575)

The sizes given are true, just European. As some of the sites giving the conversions indicate, an American half-size might fall between two European sizes, in which case it is recommended to size up.

---

Pauline on 8/26/02 at 15:06 (093577)

To be honest, I don't think the stiffness of the shoe would work for my feet. Currently I use my N.B. running shoes which have a fairly low arch, my foot flex, and my clarks. I also use dress shoes that have a shorter wedge heel and look nice for dresser occasions.

I've never been able to wear a running shoe with a roll bar so the clog your describing with a very stiff wooden support I'm guessing wouldn't be comfortable for me.

With shoes you really have to try each and everyone before you decide which ones fit comfortably. It could possibly work, but my guess would be no. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

Pauline on 8/26/02 at 15:09 (093578)

Sorry my mistake. My clogs are called Lizflex not footflex and they are by Liz Claiborne. No footflex orthotics used.

Ersten on 8/26/02 at 15:16 (093579)

Elliot,

First off, this is my premier post to this website, which has given me fascinating insight into how prevalent PF is. I am a sufferer for the past 11 months. I have tried several inserts which have only leveled the amount of pain, but done nothing to reduce it. I have seen my family physician who ordered x-rays which have shown no abnormalities. I have had my feet massaged by a Chinese doctor who supposedly cured a fellow employee who had PF for over 3 years, but it only gave me temporary relief.

Before I head on to the next level of custom orthotics, I thought I might give wearing different shoes a try. I have read all about Birkenstocks, NB, Brooks and the rest, but your piece on Bastads caught my fancy.

I went to the website you mentioned that advertised discounted Bastads, and was surprised to see the list price at a third or less than the prices listed in the other sites you listed. Do you know if these Bastads are manufactured to the same quality as the others, and if they have the same therapeutic value? I am interested in the 'Popular Black' and 'Original Black' models. Like you, I am also concerned a bit about its apprearance -- most models tend to look feminine -- but, hey, if they work, at least I can wear it around the house where snickers from my kids won't bother me much.

Thanks for a great post!

Ersten

elliott on 8/26/02 at 15:20 (093582)

I have a very low arch too, so I would've never thought they would work either. I don't feel anything hitting into or constricting my arch, only the sensation of an elevated heel. The wood, rather than feeling hard and uncomfortable, is oooh so soothing and comfortable. I can't explain how it works, but I think they're on to something. Maybe they've been on to it for almost 100 years.

----

elliott on 8/26/02 at 15:33 (093584)

I don't know any more details; you could call and ask. I didn't even dig up this site till after I ordered the first pair, but I don't think it mattered, as it looks like I need an adjustable buckle. Regardless, $90 is a small price to pay for something that really works and alleviates pain.

Believe me, clogs weren't my kind of things, and even considering them was a big step for me. Funny, even my sons find those 'bullets' cool and keep trying the clogs on. I keep taking them back and forth to work too. So what if they see? They go great with my kilt. :-)

-----

Ersten on 8/26/02 at 16:16 (093590)

Elliot,

Could bagpipes be in your future, also? Thanks for the followup, and I'll give them a call. Should I order them, I'll post to let you know the results.

Ersten

Suzanne D on 8/26/02 at 17:28 (093600)

Dear Elliott,

I am so glad that you have found these shoes and are getting real relief from wearing them! I also applaud you for your complete report about them. I am sure you will help many people by taking the time to post so thoroughly. Education seems to be the key here - sharing about shoes and stretching and everything else that helps - as well as understanding and support. Putting everyone's assets together makes for a good mix!

Interesting enough, my 21 year old daughter who had successful foot surgery almost two years ago (tiny bone broken near the big toe which had healed back with a jagged edge and had to be 'planed' as well as an enlarged nerve removed - hardly a scientific explanation, I know)has a pair of sandals with a wooden midsole. She says they are surprisingly comfortable and were one of the first shoes she could wear after wearing nothing but New Balance for some time after the surgery. I don't know the brand and am sure they are certainly not made as well as yours, but it says something about the success of the wooden midsole.

I do not seem to share any similarities with you in terms of foot type or problems, so I doubt they would work for me. Birks have always felt too hard unless they are the soft footbed type. I guess it's my high arch and rigid foot. But then, I've been wrong before!

I know this isn't the social/support board, but I'll just add here that I hope your father is continuing to make good progress following his surgery. And I am glad you are doing better. Has your wife found any help with her possible beginning of PF?

Suzanne :-)

elliott on 8/26/02 at 18:11 (093608)

Suzanne, thanks for your thoughts; father's coming along fine, wife stopped exercising on treadmill until PF settles.

Everyone's giving reasons *not* to try the clogs: too low an arch, too high an arch, not Elliott's arch. They were not made with my foot in mind, I can assure you of that; that would have been a recipe for disaster.

We need to take a different appproach, to think outside that old worn paradigm of Birk or bust. Swedish clogs! The real thing! All that's at risk is the (return) shipping, about $6. I make returns all the time; it's no big deal. Who's gonna chance it?

----

Re: I never would have guessed!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/27/02 at 13:13 (093698)

Elliott, thanks for revealing the identity of your mystery clogs before I died of curiousity. I never would have figured it out, because I never heard of this brand. I'm glad they are working so well for you! They do look very nice. :)

Carole C

Re: precisely!

elliott on 8/27/02 at 13:40 (093700)

I kept wondering why I have a duty to warn people even about bad clogs if no one ever heard of them to know to stay away. :-) Fortunately, that turned out not to be the case. Maybe I'm imagining it, by my feet are feeling even better as the days go on. (Can I run in these things? :-))

Today, several co-workers noticed my clogs for the first time as I was walking in them in the hall. One, a guy, said, 'You gaining a little height lift on people there?' I answered, 'Any advantage I can get.' Another guy said, 'You turning Dutch?' Answer: 'No! Swedish!' Yet another co-worker, a gal, after noticing and inquiring, told me about her inferior flat shoes and the trouble she's having with her back, and she may get back to me to order her own pair. Hey, these things are a hit! Then came the secretary, who agreed they sort of look like motorcycle boots from the front. She told me about her sister who lives in her clogs after initially pooh-poohing them, or was it she herself does after she pooh-poohed her sister's clogs? Whatever. Anyway, being a country music buff, she referred me to the lyrics of a current Alan Jackson song, Work in Progress:

I know you meant well when you gave me those clogs
But my heels sure get hot down by the muffler on my hog
I'm sure they're stylish but I'll take my boots
I try to do that healthy thing like you want me to do
But that low fat, no fat's getting hard to chew
Now I love your cooking honey
But sometimes I need some real food

So, Carole, are you just gonna stand there and admire or are you gonna order them?

------

Carole C in NOLA on 8/27/02 at 14:52 (093709)

Elliott, while the 'Mystery Clogs' were still unknown, I was wondering why you wouldn't say what they were and that song kept coming to mind. I didn't know who sang it, but he sure didn't seem to think that clogs were very manly. I heard it over and over on all the country stations between here and St. Louis when I drove there last week for my brother's wedding.

I'm probably not going to order them right away (I'm in the middle of a move). If I see them in a store sometime, I'll be sure to try them on. I'm not sure if they have enough cushioning for me, since they basically have none, but maybe it won't matter.

I think they look great, too. :)

Carole C

elliott on 8/27/02 at 15:39 (093714)

I like to test things out thoroughly before reporting on them. The only reason you were tipped off in advance is that I wanted to know the diff between black and black nubuck before ordering them.

Congrats on the house! Hope you are happy there, and soon find the lucky and worthy husband to share it with, if that's what you want--there are too many country music songs about empty lonely houses--or at least that you get to sell it at a hefty profit before you move in to his. :-)

Middle of a move? It takes all of two minutes to order, or about the time it took you to construct the last post. All you need is a computer or phone and a credit card. Your feet can't wait. :-)

If you see them in a store? Yeah, right.
Not enough cushioning? (The list of excuses grows. :-)) Please repeat after me, O Fellow Non-Very-High-Archer: cushioning is bad, cushioning is bad, cushioning is...Seriously, they do not feel hard. They feel soothing and comfortable, like nothing I've ever had before. Can't promise they'll work for everyone, but we'll never know if I'm the only one who ever tries them.

AJ might change those lyrics if he gets PF in them thar boots. :-) Yes, the clogs look great, but what I really need to know is, do they look great on a *guy*? A straight guy, that is. :-)

---

Pauline on 8/27/02 at 16:51 (093717)

Elliott,
Just goes to show the people in your office don't have enough work to do if they have to comment on someone's shoes. Hair maybe, but shoes????

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. So is time.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/27/02 at 16:58 (093718)

I think they look fine on a straight guy if he doesn't wear lace and polish his fingernails, Elliott. (grin)

Just joking, of course. They look like shoes, and not especially effeminate to me. Of course, a lot depends on where you live and I have no idea what part of the country you are in. If you live in Amarillo, it might be different than if you live in Los Angeles.

In New Orleans, it seems to me that they'd be just fine on a straight guy.

I am looking forward to moving into my house, but any man who dates me learns pretty early that I have NO desire to re-marry or to live with anybody. I like living alone. As someone once said, 'I like a man in my LIFE, but not in my HOUSE.'

For me the ideal arrangement is someone with his own place who wants my companionship and doesn't require that I do his laundry, clean his place, or cook him dinner. The eternal steady date would be just fine with me. Even a committed steady date... with his own place. Of course, being a woman I reserve the right to change my mind capriciously at any moment, but I doubt I will.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll try a shoe without so much cushioning after the move. We'll see. LOL Gotta mull this over...

Carole C

Re: are you kidding?

elliott on 8/27/02 at 21:42 (093761)

Might be time to lighten up a little bit. Maybe a few zaps of ESWT (ultrasound-guided, of course :-)) would help. :-)

Jokes at the water cooler are an American tradition. You're talking about just seconds of time. If no one could pause to tell a joke, they'd just be pretending to work hard, a terrible waste of time.

---

Pauline on 8/29/02 at 10:22 (093869)

Elliott,
No. Commenting on other people's clothing or shoes isn't a highlight in my day.

I taught my children when they were young it's not what a person wears that mades them who they are. I wish it was taught more often, maybe we wouldn't be seeing kids killing each other to steal clothing sporting designer names. Clothing wouldn't be an issue in their lives.

I'm sure in your office it was simply joking around, but in schools and on the streets it's a big issue. As adults we should be role models, this isn't a pattern I care to teach anywhere, not even as a joke.

JudyS on 9/01/02 at 11:06 (094128)

Elliot - thanks for your efforts in your detailed Bastad report - that was great info. I remember seeing Bastads in the shoe store in Solvang and wondering about them because of their wood structure. You've made me decide to take a second look. Clogs, in several makes, have been my own shoe of choice since I started paying proper attention to my PF a couple of years ago. Clogs are cool. :)

jonna p on 9/09/02 at 18:33 (094849)

Still liking the clogs? Did I rread in one of your posts that the shoe was comfortable to stand in for long periods?

elliott on 9/10/02 at 08:16 (094893)

Yes, I am still thrilled. In fact, I just ordered another pair (one for work), this time a strapless version with a cushioned instep pad. If that turns out to be too loose for my low instep, I plan to return that and order another pair of same. My foot is a structual mess and yet these things are helping a lot. But so far no one's willing to risk the $6 return postage; a lot of credibilty I have around here. :-)

----

jonna p on 9/10/02 at 19:01 (094950)

I am intrigued because I too am a flat foot. I had Dansko's and did not like the 2' heel and these seem to be a bit high in the heel. What would you guess the rise from sole to heel is?

elliott on 9/11/02 at 07:47 (094991)

I don't have to guess--I just measured it with a tape measure. I won't lie; it's a whopping 2 3/4' heel. No wonder my co-workers noticed.

I'll reiterate: I have very flat feet. I hate any shoes with built-in arches (although my custom orthotics are fine, but they're MY arches). I don't understand how these clogs work. Maybe it's that the high heel takes the stress off. But a high heel alone doth not maketh a shoe. There are no built-in arches in the clogs, only a smooth drop that my foot somehow conforms to. Maybe it's also the wood. I don't know. But it sounds like your foot is similar to mine. Indoors I live in these things now, using regular shoes mainly to commute and exercise. For just $6 risk you may be overthinkng about this. If you try them, they're great, and you post about them, you could be a legend, cuz then the entire board will take notice and say 'Hey, I'm gonna try them too, they worked for jonna p!!' BTW, who is jonna p? :-)

-------------------

jonna p on 9/11/02 at 09:53 (095006)

Wow that is even higher than the Dansko heel. It sure would not be an off road shoe. I am still mulling it over but am intrigued. Do they run true to size?

I have been a lurker for over a year but have begun to make a post here and there when I have a question or a comment to input. I have tried so many shoes that I am beginning to feel like a flat foot expert myself.

elliott on 9/11/02 at 10:04 (095007)

Yes, they are true to size, and if you're in between, go up. Why mull so much for $6? If they don't work, you can send them back.

------------

jonna p on 9/13/02 at 11:13 (095243)

That heel height is a real turn off to me. I had Danskos which were fairly comfortable but disliked the 2' heel so I can't imagine going up another 3/4'.
Sold them on ebay I might add and nabbed a pair of Mephisto Sharks for $85. A little big but I love these shoes. Nice 1' heel, firm but not excessive arch support. I think the 'softness' referred to in the ads means what touches your foot- kind of like a pillow top mattress. But these shoes are firm underneath.
So guess I am shoe content for the moment.

Dave on 10/11/02 at 14:38 (097329)

Very intersting Elliott, I have the same problem, flexable flat feet. I discovered high heeled boots over 25 year ago and for me nothing else comes close. In my case they are high, at least 2 3/4'to get any advantage, anything lower is worse than useless. Also the heel has to strike under the ankle.

Howard U. on 11/27/02 at 19:36 (101290)

My feet are pretty severely pronated and walking and standing has been a difficult experience lately. I also discovered Bastads also & purchased a pair. They're simply awesome; I also can't wait to get into them.

For hiking and walking outside, I got a pair of Brooks Beasts ... check out http://www.brooksshoes.com .

Pauline on 8/26/02 at 14:09 (093574)

Elliott,
I always enjoy your posts because they are so complete and factual. Your clog with the interesting name almost sounds like a renegade in foot fashion. Sturdy yet comfortable.

When it comes to sizing, I long for the day we can have universal lasts world wide so a size 7 1/2 shoe is the same size in any language no matter where it's manufacturered.

Thanks for the report.

elliott on 8/26/02 at 14:29 (093575)

The sizes given are true, just European. As some of the sites giving the conversions indicate, an American half-size might fall between two European sizes, in which case it is recommended to size up.

---

Pauline on 8/26/02 at 15:06 (093577)

To be honest, I don't think the stiffness of the shoe would work for my feet. Currently I use my N.B. running shoes which have a fairly low arch, my foot flex, and my clarks. I also use dress shoes that have a shorter wedge heel and look nice for dresser occasions.

I've never been able to wear a running shoe with a roll bar so the clog your describing with a very stiff wooden support I'm guessing wouldn't be comfortable for me.

With shoes you really have to try each and everyone before you decide which ones fit comfortably. It could possibly work, but my guess would be no. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

Pauline on 8/26/02 at 15:09 (093578)

Sorry my mistake. My clogs are called Lizflex not footflex and they are by Liz Claiborne. No footflex orthotics used.

Ersten on 8/26/02 at 15:16 (093579)

Elliot,

First off, this is my premier post to this website, which has given me fascinating insight into how prevalent PF is. I am a sufferer for the past 11 months. I have tried several inserts which have only leveled the amount of pain, but done nothing to reduce it. I have seen my family physician who ordered x-rays which have shown no abnormalities. I have had my feet massaged by a Chinese doctor who supposedly cured a fellow employee who had PF for over 3 years, but it only gave me temporary relief.

Before I head on to the next level of custom orthotics, I thought I might give wearing different shoes a try. I have read all about Birkenstocks, NB, Brooks and the rest, but your piece on Bastads caught my fancy.

I went to the website you mentioned that advertised discounted Bastads, and was surprised to see the list price at a third or less than the prices listed in the other sites you listed. Do you know if these Bastads are manufactured to the same quality as the others, and if they have the same therapeutic value? I am interested in the 'Popular Black' and 'Original Black' models. Like you, I am also concerned a bit about its apprearance -- most models tend to look feminine -- but, hey, if they work, at least I can wear it around the house where snickers from my kids won't bother me much.

Thanks for a great post!

Ersten

elliott on 8/26/02 at 15:20 (093582)

I have a very low arch too, so I would've never thought they would work either. I don't feel anything hitting into or constricting my arch, only the sensation of an elevated heel. The wood, rather than feeling hard and uncomfortable, is oooh so soothing and comfortable. I can't explain how it works, but I think they're on to something. Maybe they've been on to it for almost 100 years.

----

elliott on 8/26/02 at 15:33 (093584)

I don't know any more details; you could call and ask. I didn't even dig up this site till after I ordered the first pair, but I don't think it mattered, as it looks like I need an adjustable buckle. Regardless, $90 is a small price to pay for something that really works and alleviates pain.

Believe me, clogs weren't my kind of things, and even considering them was a big step for me. Funny, even my sons find those 'bullets' cool and keep trying the clogs on. I keep taking them back and forth to work too. So what if they see? They go great with my kilt. :-)

-----

Ersten on 8/26/02 at 16:16 (093590)

Elliot,

Could bagpipes be in your future, also? Thanks for the followup, and I'll give them a call. Should I order them, I'll post to let you know the results.

Ersten

Suzanne D on 8/26/02 at 17:28 (093600)

Dear Elliott,

I am so glad that you have found these shoes and are getting real relief from wearing them! I also applaud you for your complete report about them. I am sure you will help many people by taking the time to post so thoroughly. Education seems to be the key here - sharing about shoes and stretching and everything else that helps - as well as understanding and support. Putting everyone's assets together makes for a good mix!

Interesting enough, my 21 year old daughter who had successful foot surgery almost two years ago (tiny bone broken near the big toe which had healed back with a jagged edge and had to be 'planed' as well as an enlarged nerve removed - hardly a scientific explanation, I know)has a pair of sandals with a wooden midsole. She says they are surprisingly comfortable and were one of the first shoes she could wear after wearing nothing but New Balance for some time after the surgery. I don't know the brand and am sure they are certainly not made as well as yours, but it says something about the success of the wooden midsole.

I do not seem to share any similarities with you in terms of foot type or problems, so I doubt they would work for me. Birks have always felt too hard unless they are the soft footbed type. I guess it's my high arch and rigid foot. But then, I've been wrong before!

I know this isn't the social/support board, but I'll just add here that I hope your father is continuing to make good progress following his surgery. And I am glad you are doing better. Has your wife found any help with her possible beginning of PF?

Suzanne :-)

elliott on 8/26/02 at 18:11 (093608)

Suzanne, thanks for your thoughts; father's coming along fine, wife stopped exercising on treadmill until PF settles.

Everyone's giving reasons *not* to try the clogs: too low an arch, too high an arch, not Elliott's arch. They were not made with my foot in mind, I can assure you of that; that would have been a recipe for disaster.

We need to take a different appproach, to think outside that old worn paradigm of Birk or bust. Swedish clogs! The real thing! All that's at risk is the (return) shipping, about $6. I make returns all the time; it's no big deal. Who's gonna chance it?

----

Re: I never would have guessed!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/27/02 at 13:13 (093698)

Elliott, thanks for revealing the identity of your mystery clogs before I died of curiousity. I never would have figured it out, because I never heard of this brand. I'm glad they are working so well for you! They do look very nice. :)

Carole C

elliott on 8/27/02 at 13:40 (093700)

I kept wondering why I have a duty to warn people even about bad clogs if no one ever heard of them to know to stay away. :-) Fortunately, that turned out not to be the case. Maybe I'm imagining it, by my feet are feeling even better as the days go on. (Can I run in these things? :-))

Today, several co-workers noticed my clogs for the first time as I was walking in them in the hall. One, a guy, said, 'You gaining a little height lift on people there?' I answered, 'Any advantage I can get.' Another guy said, 'You turning Dutch?' Answer: 'No! Swedish!' Yet another co-worker, a gal, after noticing and inquiring, told me about her inferior flat shoes and the trouble she's having with her back, and she may get back to me to order her own pair. Hey, these things are a hit! Then came the secretary, who agreed they sort of look like motorcycle boots from the front. She told me about her sister who lives in her clogs after initially pooh-poohing them, or was it she herself does after she pooh-poohed her sister's clogs? Whatever. Anyway, being a country music buff, she referred me to the lyrics of a current Alan Jackson song, Work in Progress:

I know you meant well when you gave me those clogs
But my heels sure get hot down by the muffler on my hog
I'm sure they're stylish but I'll take my boots
I try to do that healthy thing like you want me to do
But that low fat, no fat's getting hard to chew
Now I love your cooking honey
But sometimes I need some real food

So, Carole, are you just gonna stand there and admire or are you gonna order them?

------

Carole C in NOLA on 8/27/02 at 14:52 (093709)

Elliott, while the 'Mystery Clogs' were still unknown, I was wondering why you wouldn't say what they were and that song kept coming to mind. I didn't know who sang it, but he sure didn't seem to think that clogs were very manly. I heard it over and over on all the country stations between here and St. Louis when I drove there last week for my brother's wedding.

I'm probably not going to order them right away (I'm in the middle of a move). If I see them in a store sometime, I'll be sure to try them on. I'm not sure if they have enough cushioning for me, since they basically have none, but maybe it won't matter.

I think they look great, too. :)

Carole C

elliott on 8/27/02 at 15:39 (093714)

I like to test things out thoroughly before reporting on them. The only reason you were tipped off in advance is that I wanted to know the diff between black and black nubuck before ordering them.

Congrats on the house! Hope you are happy there, and soon find the lucky and worthy husband to share it with, if that's what you want--there are too many country music songs about empty lonely houses--or at least that you get to sell it at a hefty profit before you move in to his. :-)

Middle of a move? It takes all of two minutes to order, or about the time it took you to construct the last post. All you need is a computer or phone and a credit card. Your feet can't wait. :-)

If you see them in a store? Yeah, right.
Not enough cushioning? (The list of excuses grows. :-)) Please repeat after me, O Fellow Non-Very-High-Archer: cushioning is bad, cushioning is bad, cushioning is...Seriously, they do not feel hard. They feel soothing and comfortable, like nothing I've ever had before. Can't promise they'll work for everyone, but we'll never know if I'm the only one who ever tries them.

AJ might change those lyrics if he gets PF in them thar boots. :-) Yes, the clogs look great, but what I really need to know is, do they look great on a *guy*? A straight guy, that is. :-)

---

Pauline on 8/27/02 at 16:51 (093717)

Elliott,
Just goes to show the people in your office don't have enough work to do if they have to comment on someone's shoes. Hair maybe, but shoes????

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. So is time.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/27/02 at 16:58 (093718)

I think they look fine on a straight guy if he doesn't wear lace and polish his fingernails, Elliott. (grin)

Just joking, of course. They look like shoes, and not especially effeminate to me. Of course, a lot depends on where you live and I have no idea what part of the country you are in. If you live in Amarillo, it might be different than if you live in Los Angeles.

In New Orleans, it seems to me that they'd be just fine on a straight guy.

I am looking forward to moving into my house, but any man who dates me learns pretty early that I have NO desire to re-marry or to live with anybody. I like living alone. As someone once said, 'I like a man in my LIFE, but not in my HOUSE.'

For me the ideal arrangement is someone with his own place who wants my companionship and doesn't require that I do his laundry, clean his place, or cook him dinner. The eternal steady date would be just fine with me. Even a committed steady date... with his own place. Of course, being a woman I reserve the right to change my mind capriciously at any moment, but I doubt I will.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll try a shoe without so much cushioning after the move. We'll see. LOL Gotta mull this over...

Carole C

elliott on 8/27/02 at 21:42 (093761)

Might be time to lighten up a little bit. Maybe a few zaps of ESWT (ultrasound-guided, of course :-)) would help. :-)

Jokes at the water cooler are an American tradition. You're talking about just seconds of time. If no one could pause to tell a joke, they'd just be pretending to work hard, a terrible waste of time.

---

Pauline on 8/29/02 at 10:22 (093869)

Elliott,
No. Commenting on other people's clothing or shoes isn't a highlight in my day.

I taught my children when they were young it's not what a person wears that mades them who they are. I wish it was taught more often, maybe we wouldn't be seeing kids killing each other to steal clothing sporting designer names. Clothing wouldn't be an issue in their lives.

I'm sure in your office it was simply joking around, but in schools and on the streets it's a big issue. As adults we should be role models, this isn't a pattern I care to teach anywhere, not even as a joke.

JudyS on 9/01/02 at 11:06 (094128)

Elliot - thanks for your efforts in your detailed Bastad report - that was great info. I remember seeing Bastads in the shoe store in Solvang and wondering about them because of their wood structure. You've made me decide to take a second look. Clogs, in several makes, have been my own shoe of choice since I started paying proper attention to my PF a couple of years ago. Clogs are cool. :)

jonna p on 9/09/02 at 18:33 (094849)

Still liking the clogs? Did I rread in one of your posts that the shoe was comfortable to stand in for long periods?

elliott on 9/10/02 at 08:16 (094893)

Yes, I am still thrilled. In fact, I just ordered another pair (one for work), this time a strapless version with a cushioned instep pad. If that turns out to be too loose for my low instep, I plan to return that and order another pair of same. My foot is a structual mess and yet these things are helping a lot. But so far no one's willing to risk the $6 return postage; a lot of credibilty I have around here. :-)

----

jonna p on 9/10/02 at 19:01 (094950)

I am intrigued because I too am a flat foot. I had Dansko's and did not like the 2' heel and these seem to be a bit high in the heel. What would you guess the rise from sole to heel is?

elliott on 9/11/02 at 07:47 (094991)

I don't have to guess--I just measured it with a tape measure. I won't lie; it's a whopping 2 3/4' heel. No wonder my co-workers noticed.

I'll reiterate: I have very flat feet. I hate any shoes with built-in arches (although my custom orthotics are fine, but they're MY arches). I don't understand how these clogs work. Maybe it's that the high heel takes the stress off. But a high heel alone doth not maketh a shoe. There are no built-in arches in the clogs, only a smooth drop that my foot somehow conforms to. Maybe it's also the wood. I don't know. But it sounds like your foot is similar to mine. Indoors I live in these things now, using regular shoes mainly to commute and exercise. For just $6 risk you may be overthinkng about this. If you try them, they're great, and you post about them, you could be a legend, cuz then the entire board will take notice and say 'Hey, I'm gonna try them too, they worked for jonna p!!' BTW, who is jonna p? :-)

-------------------

jonna p on 9/11/02 at 09:53 (095006)

Wow that is even higher than the Dansko heel. It sure would not be an off road shoe. I am still mulling it over but am intrigued. Do they run true to size?

I have been a lurker for over a year but have begun to make a post here and there when I have a question or a comment to input. I have tried so many shoes that I am beginning to feel like a flat foot expert myself.

elliott on 9/11/02 at 10:04 (095007)

Yes, they are true to size, and if you're in between, go up. Why mull so much for $6? If they don't work, you can send them back.

------------

jonna p on 9/13/02 at 11:13 (095243)

That heel height is a real turn off to me. I had Danskos which were fairly comfortable but disliked the 2' heel so I can't imagine going up another 3/4'.
Sold them on ebay I might add and nabbed a pair of Mephisto Sharks for $85. A little big but I love these shoes. Nice 1' heel, firm but not excessive arch support. I think the 'softness' referred to in the ads means what touches your foot- kind of like a pillow top mattress. But these shoes are firm underneath.
So guess I am shoe content for the moment.

Dave on 10/11/02 at 14:38 (097329)

Very intersting Elliott, I have the same problem, flexable flat feet. I discovered high heeled boots over 25 year ago and for me nothing else comes close. In my case they are high, at least 2 3/4'to get any advantage, anything lower is worse than useless. Also the heel has to strike under the ankle.

Howard U. on 11/27/02 at 19:36 (101290)

My feet are pretty severely pronated and walking and standing has been a difficult experience lately. I also discovered Bastads also & purchased a pair. They're simply awesome; I also can't wait to get into them.

For hiking and walking outside, I got a pair of Brooks Beasts ... check out http://www.brooksshoes.com .

Re: Brooks shoes stores

Charlotte M on 4/13/08 at 14:29 (245770)

I would like to know where I could purchase Brooks in my 95391 area? I have worn the walking shoe for several years now but have moved and need a new pair. I have some rather severe foot problems and need to have them fitted by a professional. Thank you for any info you can give me.