Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone else using a wheelchair for TTS

Posted by JJA on 8/26/02 at 11:52 (093555)

My TTS (diagnosed by Neurologisht) manifests itself as
extreme achiness / tiredness in my ankle. I simply hate to walk/stand.
I've never had buring, numbing, tingling, but If I am on my feet too
long, they get VERY warm and VERY achy and the ankle starts to tighten
up like it is on a hinge (I do not have arthritis).
The pain spreads into my feet if I stand/walk too long (longer than
a few minutes). I use a wheelchair alot; in the grocery store,
airports, etc. Anyone else using a wheelchair? I havent read
(on this board) that anyone else does.

Re: Anyone else using a wheelchair for TTS

Lara T on 8/26/02 at 15:56 (093588)

I have a wheelchair that I bought after searching the want ads for a good deal. I use it for sightseeing mostly. I've modified my life so that I can get through an average day with compression socks and other non-invasive treatments. But if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking (like trips to zoo, museum, etc.) I take my wheelchair. Since I only use it for 'non-essential' trips, I couldn't justify the cost of an electronic chair so usually it's something where I am going with other people. I also learned that living in a wheelchair has it's own problem. The body really isn't made to sit all day. Certainly there are many people who have problems that won't allow for standing. But I think finding a balance for me, since I don't have problems that prevent but rather only limits my walking, that I'm better off using the chair judiciously.

wendyn on 8/26/02 at 17:23 (093598)

I used a wheelchair for longer shopping trips when my feet were really bad. I've also used a cane. I would not recommend using the wheelchair a lot without your doctor knowing. Sometimes it's a fine line between helping your feet and hurting your body (through muscle atrophy).

But, all in all, it's a good thing to use if it means getting out of the house and still getting through life!!!!

Ann E on 8/26/02 at 17:49 (093601)

I have a wheelchair that I use for outings. It's important not to atrophy so I suggest using it only as a supplement. I exercise daily. I am a teacher so I keep a small scooter in my classroom and for long trips down the halls. I need it mostly in the afternoon. The scooter is what keeps me working without a walking supplement I'd be in trouble. I don't have alot of pain either. Just can't stand without the muscles tightening up and cramping. I walk like a drunken sailor . I know the students in my classroom benefit because I can be more actively involved with them The truth is a walking supplement like a wheelchair, scooter, cane etc...is freedom for us. Check the Trader for a good used wheelchair, mine cost $100.

Janet C on 8/28/02 at 21:19 (093829)

I use a wheelchair; actually, I have several. But I not only have TTS, I also have RSD. Walking has gotten so painful, that I find that I have to use them more and more often. But they give me a lot more mobility than I would have otherwise.

Lara T on 8/26/02 at 15:56 (093588)

I have a wheelchair that I bought after searching the want ads for a good deal. I use it for sightseeing mostly. I've modified my life so that I can get through an average day with compression socks and other non-invasive treatments. But if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking (like trips to zoo, museum, etc.) I take my wheelchair. Since I only use it for 'non-essential' trips, I couldn't justify the cost of an electronic chair so usually it's something where I am going with other people. I also learned that living in a wheelchair has it's own problem. The body really isn't made to sit all day. Certainly there are many people who have problems that won't allow for standing. But I think finding a balance for me, since I don't have problems that prevent but rather only limits my walking, that I'm better off using the chair judiciously.

wendyn on 8/26/02 at 17:23 (093598)

I used a wheelchair for longer shopping trips when my feet were really bad. I've also used a cane. I would not recommend using the wheelchair a lot without your doctor knowing. Sometimes it's a fine line between helping your feet and hurting your body (through muscle atrophy).

But, all in all, it's a good thing to use if it means getting out of the house and still getting through life!!!!

Ann E on 8/26/02 at 17:49 (093601)

I have a wheelchair that I use for outings. It's important not to atrophy so I suggest using it only as a supplement. I exercise daily. I am a teacher so I keep a small scooter in my classroom and for long trips down the halls. I need it mostly in the afternoon. The scooter is what keeps me working without a walking supplement I'd be in trouble. I don't have alot of pain either. Just can't stand without the muscles tightening up and cramping. I walk like a drunken sailor . I know the students in my classroom benefit because I can be more actively involved with them The truth is a walking supplement like a wheelchair, scooter, cane etc...is freedom for us. Check the Trader for a good used wheelchair, mine cost $100.

Janet C on 8/28/02 at 21:19 (093829)

I use a wheelchair; actually, I have several. But I not only have TTS, I also have RSD. Walking has gotten so painful, that I find that I have to use them more and more often. But they give me a lot more mobility than I would have otherwise.