Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sandalls vs running shoes

Posted by carrie on 8/27/02 at 11:16 (093671)

What is the deal with sandals vs running shoes? Why am I so much more comfy with a shoe that is open and not so tight?(my shoes are the right size just seem confining?

NO I don't go barefoot my merrell sandals are next to me at times when I lay down, they are cute and feel good, soft and flexible. Also has anyone tried to cut slice in their running shoes like is suggested by someone I believe the guy who started this site.

Re: Sandalls vs running shoes

john h on 8/27/02 at 11:51 (093684)

carrie: i have always (since pf) been more comfortable in a sandal or a shoe that is not tight. I even increased my shoe size by 1/2 size when wearing running shoes.

carrie on 8/27/02 at 13:10 (093695)

thanks John, it is hard to know what to do, cause like I siad the only way I can tell if a shoe is going to work for me is to wear it for an entire day at work then I know, by then it is too late to return it, wearing it at home on my soft carpet doesn't seem to tell the truth about the shoe.

Kim R. on 8/27/02 at 14:01 (093702)

Have you tried any of the sandal/running shoe combos? I've seen them in some catalogs. Maybe that would help but still give you some arch support.

carrie on 8/27/02 at 17:26 (093724)

At this point I think I will wait till I get my orthotics and see what those do for me before I buy any more shoes. I think I can get buy with my merrils and my naturalizers and also my new balance for short periods of time only.

hugs

Leon S. on 8/27/02 at 18:53 (093736)

In regard to the sandals, there is a very comfortable rubber sandal that has a Japanese name that begins with Obi....something I can't remember the full name. (I think the PF is affecting my memory). It's relatively inexpensive and is frequently sold in pharmacies for about $10. I have a pair that I've been using for years for pool wear but since I developed PF I can't wait to get home and put them on. They have a carefully designed foot bed that gives it a very relaxed comfort level. I saw a display in CVS today which also has some magnets in them for those inclined.

john h on 8/28/02 at 10:11 (093806)

Lands End has some interesting new shoes in there new catablog. Take a look.Inexpensive.

john h on 8/27/02 at 11:51 (093684)

carrie: i have always (since pf) been more comfortable in a sandal or a shoe that is not tight. I even increased my shoe size by 1/2 size when wearing running shoes.

carrie on 8/27/02 at 13:10 (093695)

thanks John, it is hard to know what to do, cause like I siad the only way I can tell if a shoe is going to work for me is to wear it for an entire day at work then I know, by then it is too late to return it, wearing it at home on my soft carpet doesn't seem to tell the truth about the shoe.

Kim R. on 8/27/02 at 14:01 (093702)

Have you tried any of the sandal/running shoe combos? I've seen them in some catalogs. Maybe that would help but still give you some arch support.

carrie on 8/27/02 at 17:26 (093724)

At this point I think I will wait till I get my orthotics and see what those do for me before I buy any more shoes. I think I can get buy with my merrils and my naturalizers and also my new balance for short periods of time only.

hugs

Leon S. on 8/27/02 at 18:53 (093736)

In regard to the sandals, there is a very comfortable rubber sandal that has a Japanese name that begins with Obi....something I can't remember the full name. (I think the PF is affecting my memory). It's relatively inexpensive and is frequently sold in pharmacies for about $10. I have a pair that I've been using for years for pool wear but since I developed PF I can't wait to get home and put them on. They have a carefully designed foot bed that gives it a very relaxed comfort level. I saw a display in CVS today which also has some magnets in them for those inclined.

john h on 8/28/02 at 10:11 (093806)

Lands End has some interesting new shoes in there new catablog. Take a look.Inexpensive.