Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swimmin

Posted by carrie on 8/27/02 at 11:19 (093672)

Is swimming a good exercise to do no matter where you are with the PF. I notice that swimming is painless but I do notice that my foot is stretched back and am wondering if this is good? Also how often shoudl I swim and is it ok to do even when my pain is bad bad bad? Is there any reason why or when swimming should be skipped?

hgus and thanks for all this feedback goss I am taking up the whole board, but at least my spirits seem a bit better today!

also what would be one way to know beyond doubt if you have the acchilles tendonitis along with PF? does pain at the back of the heel always mean achilles? My Dr';s both say it is PF not achilles, but I am still worried. Would treatment for achilles be different and if so what would be the things I should be doing?

And last but not least what about supplements like MSM calcium, vitamin C and magnesium etc. Are these a good way to help with this stuff.

hugs
Carrie

PS what about the vinegar, was that a joke?

Re: Swimmin

EKD on 8/27/02 at 12:40 (093691)

I think swimming really helps me. For one, it seems to give me
some stretching. When I get out of the pool, I actually walk
better.
I use the kick-board (small surf board) for a few lengths. This
gives my legs, feet, and ankles a better work out.
Finally, I don't actually swim my last lap. I hop on both feet (OK,
ball of foot), or one at a time, for an entire length. After a few
minutes of this, my calves have gotten an amazking workout.

carrie on 8/27/02 at 13:06 (093692)

I find this too, when I get out of the water my pain is gone for a few then of course it comes back, well I am off to the pool here in a few minutes. I also notice when I get out of the hot tub the pain is gone for a bit too, wonder what it is about water.!

BrianJ on 8/27/02 at 13:47 (093701)

I think the benefit is not so much the water itself as the increased circulation that exercise or warm water provides.

Kim R. on 8/27/02 at 14:28 (093707)

Carrie, I found 'running' in the pool to be very uncomfortable on the foot, just the pressure going back and forth against the water. I bought some cheap aqua socks/shoe things and that helped. I also bought the aqua-jogger boots and that helped get more of a workout and to keep the foot more stable.

carrie on 8/27/02 at 17:22 (093722)

Hey there

I don't run at all, do laps, for 60 minutes, I am pretty hard core and think the laps are the best but occasionally I will add some water weights or whatever I can find, mostly laps.

Hugs
Carrie

Pete on 8/28/02 at 04:29 (093780)

I swim and find there are the mental 'feel good' benefits from it as with any physical exercise which is important when you can't get around very much with pf

R C on 8/28/02 at 09:59 (093804)

Don't feel bad about using this message board to post questions or express your frustrations. You are helping people who may be in the same situation, and giving others an opportunity to offer assistance. We all win.

On how much to swim: Since you say your foot does not hurt when swimming, I think it is probably OK. The only possible adverse effect I can think of would be tightening of your calf muscles, but this is easily mitigated via routine stretches (non-weight-bearing!), which you should do before and after swimming. The conventional wisdom says that for cardiovascular benefit, you should maintain your target heart rate for 20+ minutes 3+ times per week. But if it starts to hurt, I would discontinue, or swim more gently.

Whether it is PF or Achilles: Doctors can be wrong, and there are times where you'll have to be insistent and keep asking questions. This one can only be answered definitively in person. I don't know how Achilles tendinitis would be treated.

I have limited experience with dietary supplements, but my guess is that because your injury is biomechanical in nature, these supplements would have marginal therapeutic benefit at best.

Thanks for the hug-- I needed it.

EKD on 8/27/02 at 12:40 (093691)

I think swimming really helps me. For one, it seems to give me
some stretching. When I get out of the pool, I actually walk
better.
I use the kick-board (small surf board) for a few lengths. This
gives my legs, feet, and ankles a better work out.
Finally, I don't actually swim my last lap. I hop on both feet (OK,
ball of foot), or one at a time, for an entire length. After a few
minutes of this, my calves have gotten an amazking workout.

carrie on 8/27/02 at 13:06 (093692)

I find this too, when I get out of the water my pain is gone for a few then of course it comes back, well I am off to the pool here in a few minutes. I also notice when I get out of the hot tub the pain is gone for a bit too, wonder what it is about water.!

BrianJ on 8/27/02 at 13:47 (093701)

I think the benefit is not so much the water itself as the increased circulation that exercise or warm water provides.

Kim R. on 8/27/02 at 14:28 (093707)

Carrie, I found 'running' in the pool to be very uncomfortable on the foot, just the pressure going back and forth against the water. I bought some cheap aqua socks/shoe things and that helped. I also bought the aqua-jogger boots and that helped get more of a workout and to keep the foot more stable.

carrie on 8/27/02 at 17:22 (093722)

Hey there

I don't run at all, do laps, for 60 minutes, I am pretty hard core and think the laps are the best but occasionally I will add some water weights or whatever I can find, mostly laps.

Hugs
Carrie

Pete on 8/28/02 at 04:29 (093780)

I swim and find there are the mental 'feel good' benefits from it as with any physical exercise which is important when you can't get around very much with pf

R C on 8/28/02 at 09:59 (093804)

Don't feel bad about using this message board to post questions or express your frustrations. You are helping people who may be in the same situation, and giving others an opportunity to offer assistance. We all win.

On how much to swim: Since you say your foot does not hurt when swimming, I think it is probably OK. The only possible adverse effect I can think of would be tightening of your calf muscles, but this is easily mitigated via routine stretches (non-weight-bearing!), which you should do before and after swimming. The conventional wisdom says that for cardiovascular benefit, you should maintain your target heart rate for 20+ minutes 3+ times per week. But if it starts to hurt, I would discontinue, or swim more gently.

Whether it is PF or Achilles: Doctors can be wrong, and there are times where you'll have to be insistent and keep asking questions. This one can only be answered definitively in person. I don't know how Achilles tendinitis would be treated.

I have limited experience with dietary supplements, but my guess is that because your injury is biomechanical in nature, these supplements would have marginal therapeutic benefit at best.

Thanks for the hug-- I needed it.