Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DMSO

Posted by Kim R. on 8/27/02 at 14:26 (093706)

Am I the only person who gets relief using DMSO? Has anyone else with pf used it? If so, tell me about your experience with it.

Re: DMSO

BrianJ on 8/27/02 at 15:00 (093710)

Tried it. Didn't work for me, but glad it's working for you.

BrianG on 8/27/02 at 20:32 (093748)

I also tried it, with several topicals. I was hoping the DMSO would draw the other ingredients deep into my heel. Tried it with Jade Balm, Tiger balm, aloe, etc. Nothing :*(

BrianG

PS: So, tell me how you use it, how many times a day?

Necee on 8/27/02 at 22:15 (093769)

I used DMSO a few years back on my horses. I never tried it myself, but my Mom had Arthritis and she said it helped her aching joints, so who knows.
Good luck.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Kim R. on 8/28/02 at 09:39 (093801)

I ran into my ob-gyn doctor in the grocery store this a.m. He is also a runner and inquired about why I was limping and wearing running shoes with a business suit. I told him what I have and he wanted to know all about my treatment. I even told him about my DMSO and he said that it should definitly help as long as I mix the DMSO and dexamethasone together BEFORE I put it on my foot. I had been applying the dex. with a cotton ball and then layering the DMSO on top of it. I get relief within minutes either way. Hope this helps some of you.

Ruth K on 8/28/02 at 17:04 (093819)

Can you give me more of an explanation of what it is and what amounts you are using? I am new to treating PF although I have had it for several months. I have been excited as I read the message boards on what works for some people and what doesn't. As with many others with PF, I am willing to explore many options. Thanks for helping to educate me.

Re: Dex question for Kim

BrianG on 8/28/02 at 21:47 (093830)

Hi Kim,

I did a little research on the Dex, as I had never heard of it. It's a synthetic adrenocortical steroid, which can reduce inflamation. It has many uses and comes in both pill and topical form. One warning was not to take it ever day, as you own body will cease to produce it's own natural Dex. I'm pretty sure they were talking about the oral (pills) and not the topical (but I could be wrong). It suggested taking it every other day, or every third day.

I may give it a try, but will have to run it by my doc first, as it appears you need a prescription to buy it.

How often are you using it, and how long do the effects last?

Thanks
BrianG

Kim R. on 8/29/02 at 07:54 (093860)

I am using it on myself at home about 3 times a week with the DMSO. It works well. I also go to physical therapy 3 times a week and they use dex. in the ionotophoresis (spelling?) treatments, so I definitely don't double up and do it twice in a day. I did not know it came in oral form. I take Vioxx orally. I have a bottle of liquid dex. I got from a vet. My physical therapist stores it in the fridge at his office. A doctor who is a personal friend (not my ortho.) told me to mix the dex. and DMSO before applying it (always wear plastic gloves too). I was layering it on my foot, but he said it would be more effective if they were mixed together ahead of time. This is a treatment frequently used on horses with tendon problems. At this point I'll try anything and it does relieve the pain and (knock on wood) I am making some progress with recovery. Good luck.

Kim R. on 8/29/02 at 07:59 (093861)

Do a general search on DMSO and you will find lots of info. This is a gel substance primarily approved for use on livestock that is basically a 'carrying-agent' for other topical substances. I mix DMSO with a prescription liquid called dexamethasone and apply it to the entire arch and heel area of my foot. The DMSO is the agent that 'carries' the dex. through to the inflammation. The dexamethasone is the substance reducing the pain and inflammation. This is a commonly used procedure on horses suffering from tendon problems. It works for me. It relieves some of the pain within minutes and lasts just about all day for me. You need to ask your doc. or therapist about these substances, don't just take my word for it. Also, read some of the other posts on the web site about it. Good luck.

BrianG on 8/29/02 at 17:13 (093901)

Thanks Kim, I did read were the vet's were using it also. Whatever works, right! :*)

Thanks
BrianG

PS: I use a cheap plastic sandwich baggie when I apply the DMSO, then toss it out. It's a good idea to be very 'clean' when applying it, but I see that you know that already.

RACHAEL T. on 8/29/02 at 22:51 (093935)

I, too, as a prof. horsetrainer have used DMSO w/ dexamethasone for equine tendon injuries & strains. I am interested in your results - how much progress have you made in using this combination on your feet? Please reply, as I am anxious to try it myself.....I had thought of it before; but my conservative pod. was against it -- but it is sitting in 1 of the equine med. refrigerators at present! Tell me more! :-)

Kim R. on 8/30/02 at 08:05 (093953)

I mix a tbsp. of DMSO with 3 cc dexamethasone and stir it up in a little plastic dish. Then (I wear some latex gloves) I massage the entire arch and heel area. It is really odd. Within minutes, the soreness is gone and it usually lasts all day. Incidentally, my physical therapist is doing the same thing using iontophoresis, but instead of using DMSO as the 'carrier' he uses a little box with electrodes and patches that carry the steroid through to the inflammation through an electrical current (and I am not doc. and certainly not a scientist). A doc. who is a friend told me the DMSO is doing the same thing, but I have continued the physical therapy because A.) they have helped me tremendously with exercise and shoe selection B.) they also do ultrasound on me 3 times a week. Once the therapy stops I will start my DMSO/dex. routine again IF I need it. Miraculously (and knock on wood, I always have to add that) I am doing better. If you asked me what is helping I couldn't give a concrete answer because I am doing so much to get rid of this I don't know what to attribute it to. My husband used DMSO on a groin injury about 5 years ago. He thinks it helped but can't really remember. If you have horses, another thing we have tried for sprains and soreness in the lower legs are the whirlpool boots (if you have any). I have a picture of my husband, who is also a runner, standing in the cross ties in the whirlpool boots. Whatever it takes right? I guess the alternative is to just throw in the towel and get big and lazy. Anyway, the dex and DMSO has worked for me - I have read mixed reviews about this on the message board, but I think alot of it has to do with what the DMSO is mixed with - I don't think mixing it with Aspercreme is going to get it - if you've got the dex. try it, it hasn't killed me yet. Good luck.

pala on 8/30/02 at 09:22 (093962)

my question didn't appear on this thread. i see here you answered where you got it from. i tried dex from a pt. it was fantastic. i wonder how i can get some. will any vet sell it? can it be found online ? where do you get the dmo?

Kim R. on 8/30/02 at 09:34 (093967)

It would probably have to be a large animal vet and unless you know one personally or have horses, it may be hard to get. I was told that you can get dex. by prescription in oral or liquid form from your doctor. I don't know about that. The DMSO can be purchased at any 'livestock store' that sells large animal supplies, possibly even a tack store might sell it. It is also sold over the internet, just type in DMSO. Someone else told me that health food stores sell it. I got all my supplies from a vet who is a friend. Ask your foot doctor about a Rx for the dexamethasone.

Re: TO kIM DMSO

Pauline on 8/30/02 at 09:42 (093968)

What's your sourse of Dexamethasone and it's percentage? Do you use the Rx written for your physical therapy treatment? I don't believe it's available over the counter in the U.S. and most doctors are unwilling to hand it out to patients to keep in the house.

Kim R. on 8/30/02 at 09:49 (093971)

I don't know the percentage. I will look on the bottle when I get home. I have therapy today and will look on their bottle as well. My source is a vet who is a personal friend. Also, anyone who has horses or large animals could possibly get it for you. Someone e-mailed me the other day and told me dex. is available in oral form as well, I am not sure.

Ellen J. on 8/30/02 at 20:38 (094028)

I use Dexamethasone on my injured wild animals when they have head trauma, etc. I get mine from the vet, but since Dex is used on humans too, I would think a regular physician could write a prescription.
What I'm wondering is; if the steroid injections that people get for Plantar Fasciitis can damage the feet, could the topical Dex do the same thing, or is it not strong enough to cause problems when applied topically? Maybe the doctors can answer that question (I'm not a doctor or a vet).
Interesting idea to mix with DMSO.
Ellen J.

Ruth K on 8/30/02 at 21:05 (094030)

Thanks for your explanation. I'll do a search.

Kim R. on 8/31/02 at 16:53 (094083)

Knowing how peculiar I am and how I have refused cortisone injections and surgery, I doubt my doc. or physical therapist would do anything that could potentially cause heel pad atrophy or worsen my condition. In fact, I am actually healing. I am walking without limping and yesterday for the first time wore some quite normal looking Clark's shoes to work. This is my perception - cortisone is a very 'thick' substance, I believe, which is why it is so painful to get the shots. The dex that I have is just as liquid as tap water. I am not getting injections of dexamethasone, I am mixing it with DMSO and my therapist is using the iontophoresis procedure.I don't have an answer to your question, other than.... it relieves my pain and I am doing better. The people that I know who have pf and have actually agreed to a cortisone shot said that it actually worsened their pain, not to mention the fact that the actual shot was 'worse than natural child birth' (quote unquote). So, I am doing it - if I begin to grow fur or eat oats or raw meat, I will be sure to let everyone know.

pala on 8/31/02 at 17:51 (094089)

i really want to try this. i just don't know any veterinarians., sigh

Ellen J. on 9/01/02 at 15:35 (094149)

Could you ask your doctor for the liquid, injectable Dex? That's what I have, though I have not tried using it topically yet--I just use it for injured animals. If you are seeing someone about your feet, I would think they might be interested in having you try the combo (Dex and DMSO) just for their own research purposes. I certainly would if I were a doctor. There have been a few times that I wanted to try some experiment like that and the doctors were willing to write a prescription so I could try it.
Good luck! Hope you try it, and if you do, let us know the results.
Glad it's working for Kim!
Ellen

carrie on 9/02/02 at 13:02 (094232)

I had trigger injection once of dex and it got rid of my pain for about 5 months but now it is back with a vengeance.

pala on 9/02/02 at 15:03 (094254)

who gave you trigger injection with dex? maybe i should try that

carrie on 9/02/02 at 20:44 (094298)

Actually it was a Pain Dr and I am going in on Wed to see them again, I am sick of suffering and this seemed to work and was allot less traumatic than cortisone. It was a mixture of dexamethasone and lidocaine. It worked and if I had not run and wore High heels I think I would still be ok.

Check it out!

BrianJ on 8/27/02 at 15:00 (093710)

Tried it. Didn't work for me, but glad it's working for you.

BrianG on 8/27/02 at 20:32 (093748)

I also tried it, with several topicals. I was hoping the DMSO would draw the other ingredients deep into my heel. Tried it with Jade Balm, Tiger balm, aloe, etc. Nothing :*(

BrianG

PS: So, tell me how you use it, how many times a day?

Necee on 8/27/02 at 22:15 (093769)

I used DMSO a few years back on my horses. I never tried it myself, but my Mom had Arthritis and she said it helped her aching joints, so who knows.
Good luck.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Kim R. on 8/28/02 at 09:39 (093801)

I ran into my ob-gyn doctor in the grocery store this a.m. He is also a runner and inquired about why I was limping and wearing running shoes with a business suit. I told him what I have and he wanted to know all about my treatment. I even told him about my DMSO and he said that it should definitly help as long as I mix the DMSO and dexamethasone together BEFORE I put it on my foot. I had been applying the dex. with a cotton ball and then layering the DMSO on top of it. I get relief within minutes either way. Hope this helps some of you.

Ruth K on 8/28/02 at 17:04 (093819)

Can you give me more of an explanation of what it is and what amounts you are using? I am new to treating PF although I have had it for several months. I have been excited as I read the message boards on what works for some people and what doesn't. As with many others with PF, I am willing to explore many options. Thanks for helping to educate me.

BrianG on 8/28/02 at 21:47 (093830)

Hi Kim,

I did a little research on the Dex, as I had never heard of it. It's a synthetic adrenocortical steroid, which can reduce inflamation. It has many uses and comes in both pill and topical form. One warning was not to take it ever day, as you own body will cease to produce it's own natural Dex. I'm pretty sure they were talking about the oral (pills) and not the topical (but I could be wrong). It suggested taking it every other day, or every third day.

I may give it a try, but will have to run it by my doc first, as it appears you need a prescription to buy it.

How often are you using it, and how long do the effects last?

Thanks
BrianG

Kim R. on 8/29/02 at 07:54 (093860)

I am using it on myself at home about 3 times a week with the DMSO. It works well. I also go to physical therapy 3 times a week and they use dex. in the ionotophoresis (spelling?) treatments, so I definitely don't double up and do it twice in a day. I did not know it came in oral form. I take Vioxx orally. I have a bottle of liquid dex. I got from a vet. My physical therapist stores it in the fridge at his office. A doctor who is a personal friend (not my ortho.) told me to mix the dex. and DMSO before applying it (always wear plastic gloves too). I was layering it on my foot, but he said it would be more effective if they were mixed together ahead of time. This is a treatment frequently used on horses with tendon problems. At this point I'll try anything and it does relieve the pain and (knock on wood) I am making some progress with recovery. Good luck.

Kim R. on 8/29/02 at 07:59 (093861)

Do a general search on DMSO and you will find lots of info. This is a gel substance primarily approved for use on livestock that is basically a 'carrying-agent' for other topical substances. I mix DMSO with a prescription liquid called dexamethasone and apply it to the entire arch and heel area of my foot. The DMSO is the agent that 'carries' the dex. through to the inflammation. The dexamethasone is the substance reducing the pain and inflammation. This is a commonly used procedure on horses suffering from tendon problems. It works for me. It relieves some of the pain within minutes and lasts just about all day for me. You need to ask your doc. or therapist about these substances, don't just take my word for it. Also, read some of the other posts on the web site about it. Good luck.

BrianG on 8/29/02 at 17:13 (093901)

Thanks Kim, I did read were the vet's were using it also. Whatever works, right! :*)

Thanks
BrianG

PS: I use a cheap plastic sandwich baggie when I apply the DMSO, then toss it out. It's a good idea to be very 'clean' when applying it, but I see that you know that already.

RACHAEL T. on 8/29/02 at 22:51 (093935)

I, too, as a prof. horsetrainer have used DMSO w/ dexamethasone for equine tendon injuries & strains. I am interested in your results - how much progress have you made in using this combination on your feet? Please reply, as I am anxious to try it myself.....I had thought of it before; but my conservative pod. was against it -- but it is sitting in 1 of the equine med. refrigerators at present! Tell me more! :-)

Kim R. on 8/30/02 at 08:05 (093953)

I mix a tbsp. of DMSO with 3 cc dexamethasone and stir it up in a little plastic dish. Then (I wear some latex gloves) I massage the entire arch and heel area. It is really odd. Within minutes, the soreness is gone and it usually lasts all day. Incidentally, my physical therapist is doing the same thing using iontophoresis, but instead of using DMSO as the 'carrier' he uses a little box with electrodes and patches that carry the steroid through to the inflammation through an electrical current (and I am not doc. and certainly not a scientist). A doc. who is a friend told me the DMSO is doing the same thing, but I have continued the physical therapy because A.) they have helped me tremendously with exercise and shoe selection B.) they also do ultrasound on me 3 times a week. Once the therapy stops I will start my DMSO/dex. routine again IF I need it. Miraculously (and knock on wood, I always have to add that) I am doing better. If you asked me what is helping I couldn't give a concrete answer because I am doing so much to get rid of this I don't know what to attribute it to. My husband used DMSO on a groin injury about 5 years ago. He thinks it helped but can't really remember. If you have horses, another thing we have tried for sprains and soreness in the lower legs are the whirlpool boots (if you have any). I have a picture of my husband, who is also a runner, standing in the cross ties in the whirlpool boots. Whatever it takes right? I guess the alternative is to just throw in the towel and get big and lazy. Anyway, the dex and DMSO has worked for me - I have read mixed reviews about this on the message board, but I think alot of it has to do with what the DMSO is mixed with - I don't think mixing it with Aspercreme is going to get it - if you've got the dex. try it, it hasn't killed me yet. Good luck.

pala on 8/30/02 at 09:22 (093962)

my question didn't appear on this thread. i see here you answered where you got it from. i tried dex from a pt. it was fantastic. i wonder how i can get some. will any vet sell it? can it be found online ? where do you get the dmo?

Kim R. on 8/30/02 at 09:34 (093967)

It would probably have to be a large animal vet and unless you know one personally or have horses, it may be hard to get. I was told that you can get dex. by prescription in oral or liquid form from your doctor. I don't know about that. The DMSO can be purchased at any 'livestock store' that sells large animal supplies, possibly even a tack store might sell it. It is also sold over the internet, just type in DMSO. Someone else told me that health food stores sell it. I got all my supplies from a vet who is a friend. Ask your foot doctor about a Rx for the dexamethasone.

Pauline on 8/30/02 at 09:42 (093968)

What's your sourse of Dexamethasone and it's percentage? Do you use the Rx written for your physical therapy treatment? I don't believe it's available over the counter in the U.S. and most doctors are unwilling to hand it out to patients to keep in the house.

Kim R. on 8/30/02 at 09:49 (093971)

I don't know the percentage. I will look on the bottle when I get home. I have therapy today and will look on their bottle as well. My source is a vet who is a personal friend. Also, anyone who has horses or large animals could possibly get it for you. Someone e-mailed me the other day and told me dex. is available in oral form as well, I am not sure.

Ellen J. on 8/30/02 at 20:38 (094028)

I use Dexamethasone on my injured wild animals when they have head trauma, etc. I get mine from the vet, but since Dex is used on humans too, I would think a regular physician could write a prescription.
What I'm wondering is; if the steroid injections that people get for Plantar Fasciitis can damage the feet, could the topical Dex do the same thing, or is it not strong enough to cause problems when applied topically? Maybe the doctors can answer that question (I'm not a doctor or a vet).
Interesting idea to mix with DMSO.
Ellen J.

Ruth K on 8/30/02 at 21:05 (094030)

Thanks for your explanation. I'll do a search.

Kim R. on 8/31/02 at 16:53 (094083)

Knowing how peculiar I am and how I have refused cortisone injections and surgery, I doubt my doc. or physical therapist would do anything that could potentially cause heel pad atrophy or worsen my condition. In fact, I am actually healing. I am walking without limping and yesterday for the first time wore some quite normal looking Clark's shoes to work. This is my perception - cortisone is a very 'thick' substance, I believe, which is why it is so painful to get the shots. The dex that I have is just as liquid as tap water. I am not getting injections of dexamethasone, I am mixing it with DMSO and my therapist is using the iontophoresis procedure.I don't have an answer to your question, other than.... it relieves my pain and I am doing better. The people that I know who have pf and have actually agreed to a cortisone shot said that it actually worsened their pain, not to mention the fact that the actual shot was 'worse than natural child birth' (quote unquote). So, I am doing it - if I begin to grow fur or eat oats or raw meat, I will be sure to let everyone know.

pala on 8/31/02 at 17:51 (094089)

i really want to try this. i just don't know any veterinarians., sigh

Ellen J. on 9/01/02 at 15:35 (094149)

Could you ask your doctor for the liquid, injectable Dex? That's what I have, though I have not tried using it topically yet--I just use it for injured animals. If you are seeing someone about your feet, I would think they might be interested in having you try the combo (Dex and DMSO) just for their own research purposes. I certainly would if I were a doctor. There have been a few times that I wanted to try some experiment like that and the doctors were willing to write a prescription so I could try it.
Good luck! Hope you try it, and if you do, let us know the results.
Glad it's working for Kim!
Ellen

carrie on 9/02/02 at 13:02 (094232)

I had trigger injection once of dex and it got rid of my pain for about 5 months but now it is back with a vengeance.

pala on 9/02/02 at 15:03 (094254)

who gave you trigger injection with dex? maybe i should try that

carrie on 9/02/02 at 20:44 (094298)

Actually it was a Pain Dr and I am going in on Wed to see them again, I am sick of suffering and this seemed to work and was allot less traumatic than cortisone. It was a mixture of dexamethasone and lidocaine. It worked and if I had not run and wore High heels I think I would still be ok.

Check it out!