Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The ups and downs

Posted by carrie on 8/27/02 at 17:45 (093727)

How come just when you feel a little better it never lasts arg?

Re: The ups and downs

F.H. on 8/27/02 at 18:20 (093731)

Sometimes the best thing you can do is relax and just forget about it for awhile. You have multiple posts that seem to say you might be overthinking this and stress can make PF worse.
Try and take a break from the 'thought' of pf. It truly can make a difference.
I wish you the best.

Jim C on 8/27/02 at 19:20 (093738)

Hi Carrie,
I have following your posts with great interest as somtimes I can be very frustarated also. This is certainly a unorthodox condition, nothing seems to make any sence. Up one day and down the next with out what seems to be any cause. For me when I was first diagnosed my left foot was the really bad one with my right foot not having much pain, and after 3months having corrected the cause (bad shoes, increase in running milage and a weight gain), my right foot can at days be worse than my left...Who Knows... maybe F.H. has it right and this is more mental condition than physical, Perhaps this is Gods wrath for past sins, maybe praying should be apart of our treatment.

God Bless :-)

Jim

Re: Ups and downs

wendyn on 8/27/02 at 22:00 (093766)

I don't know - pisses me off on a regular basis.

Necee on 8/27/02 at 22:09 (093768)

Everyone has ups and downs in life...some more down than up. We just have to adjust and deal with it the best way we can. I manage mine with lots of prayer, faith and determination, and if that doesn't work nothing will.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Julie on 8/28/02 at 02:57 (093778)

That's what I think too, Necee. There's not a single situation in life where our attitude to it isn't a vital part of dealing with it. It's really the only thing we have control over.

Of course PF is a physical condition. However, as with any physical condition, our mental attitude to it may well determine the course of our healing. We can look at the disease as a catastrophe that may wreck us, or as a challenge we can rise to; as a mega-obstacle to the way we've always done things and to all we want to do, or as an opportunity to learn new things.

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer nine years ago, and was wondering 'why' this had happened to me, as one does, my teacher said 'It doesn't matter why, all that matters now is what you do with this experience, how you use it'. That turned the whole thing around for me. I think it applies to every experience. These message boards are an example of how people put what they learn from PF to use in the service of others.

carrie on 8/28/02 at 08:53 (093793)

Yes I agree attitude has allot to do with healing, being one that was once diagnosed with connective tissue disorder I can relate, at one point I decided that I was done feeling sorry for myself and began to make adjustments in my life to cope and it worked, it worked so well that whatever disease process was going on is completely gone, meaning labs and symptoms are normal now. I do believe prayer and attitude made a big difference there for me.

Hugs
Carrie

carrie on 8/28/02 at 09:02 (093795)

Yeah it does, sometimes it is hard to be positive and you just get to the point where it can be ver annoying and make you angry, that is when I hit the pool and swim my butt off. Today I am sore from swimming so long, but at least it is pain that I know why I have it!

Kim R. on 8/28/02 at 09:35 (093800)

Carrie, look at it this way ...... it's a great excuse to go shopping and buy lots of new shoes. Ha ha.

Julie on 8/28/02 at 15:41 (093817)

Hi Carrie

They'll make a big difference now, too!

carrie on 8/28/02 at 22:23 (093837)

Which is exactly what I have done so far ha ha ha. I love that birlie page where you can get the shoes and wear them around for up to 6 months now that is cool!

I also got some merrells closed athletic black shoes, they are cool looking with dress pants and jeans!@

Andrue on 8/30/02 at 09:30 (093965)

Good question. My PF has been up/down all the time and right now it's better. Except that I'm developing new symptoms which while not painful are annoying and slightly worrying.

Ellen J. on 8/30/02 at 20:31 (094027)

I've had 3 yrs of ups and downs and now I'm finally getting the hang of what causes all the ups and downs. It has been frustrating and bewildering but now I know alot about what I shouldn't do and I'm getting better. For instance, I didn't know that those times that I briefly squatted down to get something ended up causing pain the next day. Or the time I tried on a pair of shoes in the store. Even though I didn't buy them, I was in pain the next day. Or when I would get up on my toes to reach something on a tall shelf. Next day, my feet would hurt. They hurt at different spots at different times, depending on what I did to cause the pain. That's why it has taken 3 yrs of analyzing, examining, paying attention to every boring little detail of life in order to figure out what things perpetuated this condition. The other problem is, when I started to feel better I would forget about my feet and then go running up a flight of stairs. Within 5 minutes my feet would begin hurting and with that would come the anxiety as I wondered how much damage I had just done. It's really hard to remember to be careful once you are feeling better but the ups and downs get less extreme over time as the feet get better.
Ellen J.

nancy s. on 8/31/02 at 03:49 (094051)

ellen, that's a great post. it shows precisely why constant vigilance is so important in understanding what causes setbacks and what prolongs the healing process. some of these things seem so minute that they go unnoticed by many people, yet avoiding them is crucial to controlling one's pain and helping the feet improve. in the big picture, these seemingly small precautionary measures can make a very large difference.

it used to feel like such a bother; 'oh no, am i forever going to have to pay THIS much attention to my feet?' but if we teach ourselves to, yes, pay THIS much attention, it becomes second nature and doesn't interfere with life nearly as much as we anticipated. it's well worth it if it brings a person back to life -- and it can.

again, a great post. thanks.

john h on 8/31/02 at 08:15 (094056)

Ellen: I have oftem said that I suspect squatting down can be a problem. We do it so often and not even think about it. I empty the kitty litter box every day, Yesterday I was changing the wheel on a riding mower which had me in the squatting position for an hour. I did not pay attention but you can bet a large part of that time was spent up on my toes. It is hard to live a normal life and not have to squat down to fix,move, or do something. We do it almost without thinking.

Ellen J. on 9/01/02 at 15:27 (094148)

It would be interesting to have the people on this forum contribute what they have discovered on this topic. It takes so long for many of us to figure out what is reinjuring the feet that maybe if we had a long list generated by alot of people we could look at the list and think about what items on that list may have caused a recent setback (assuming we don't know ourselves, that is).
This message board has helped me so much and I'm very glad I discovered it.
Ellen J.

carrie on 9/02/02 at 12:51 (094228)

How can you not think about it when it is there to remind me every time i move, in fact it is so bad and sensitive that when I rub it against the sheet in bed it hurts!

carrie on 9/02/02 at 12:57 (094231)

It seems so confusing, one person will tell me to stop stressing so much on my feet another tells me to think about it all the time, what is the real answer?

john h on 9/03/02 at 08:40 (094331)

Nancy: Although I am not good at it I agree that you must pay very close attention to what you are doing to avoid some of the setbacks we all experience. Some of our every day actions we pay no attention to can cause a problem. Almost anything that would cause you to rise up on your toes or put tension suddenly on the fascia could be the culprit.

Julie on 9/03/02 at 09:10 (094336)

Be aware of it all the time. That's how you'll learn. That doesn't mean never thinking about anything else.

F.H. on 8/27/02 at 18:20 (093731)

Sometimes the best thing you can do is relax and just forget about it for awhile. You have multiple posts that seem to say you might be overthinking this and stress can make PF worse.
Try and take a break from the 'thought' of pf. It truly can make a difference.
I wish you the best.

Jim C on 8/27/02 at 19:20 (093738)

Hi Carrie,
I have following your posts with great interest as somtimes I can be very frustarated also. This is certainly a unorthodox condition, nothing seems to make any sence. Up one day and down the next with out what seems to be any cause. For me when I was first diagnosed my left foot was the really bad one with my right foot not having much pain, and after 3months having corrected the cause (bad shoes, increase in running milage and a weight gain), my right foot can at days be worse than my left...Who Knows... maybe F.H. has it right and this is more mental condition than physical, Perhaps this is Gods wrath for past sins, maybe praying should be apart of our treatment.

God Bless :-)

Jim

wendyn on 8/27/02 at 22:00 (093766)

I don't know - pisses me off on a regular basis.

Necee on 8/27/02 at 22:09 (093768)

Everyone has ups and downs in life...some more down than up. We just have to adjust and deal with it the best way we can. I manage mine with lots of prayer, faith and determination, and if that doesn't work nothing will.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Julie on 8/28/02 at 02:57 (093778)

That's what I think too, Necee. There's not a single situation in life where our attitude to it isn't a vital part of dealing with it. It's really the only thing we have control over.

Of course PF is a physical condition. However, as with any physical condition, our mental attitude to it may well determine the course of our healing. We can look at the disease as a catastrophe that may wreck us, or as a challenge we can rise to; as a mega-obstacle to the way we've always done things and to all we want to do, or as an opportunity to learn new things.

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer nine years ago, and was wondering 'why' this had happened to me, as one does, my teacher said 'It doesn't matter why, all that matters now is what you do with this experience, how you use it'. That turned the whole thing around for me. I think it applies to every experience. These message boards are an example of how people put what they learn from PF to use in the service of others.

carrie on 8/28/02 at 08:53 (093793)

Yes I agree attitude has allot to do with healing, being one that was once diagnosed with connective tissue disorder I can relate, at one point I decided that I was done feeling sorry for myself and began to make adjustments in my life to cope and it worked, it worked so well that whatever disease process was going on is completely gone, meaning labs and symptoms are normal now. I do believe prayer and attitude made a big difference there for me.

Hugs
Carrie

carrie on 8/28/02 at 09:02 (093795)

Yeah it does, sometimes it is hard to be positive and you just get to the point where it can be ver annoying and make you angry, that is when I hit the pool and swim my butt off. Today I am sore from swimming so long, but at least it is pain that I know why I have it!

Kim R. on 8/28/02 at 09:35 (093800)

Carrie, look at it this way ...... it's a great excuse to go shopping and buy lots of new shoes. Ha ha.

Julie on 8/28/02 at 15:41 (093817)

Hi Carrie

They'll make a big difference now, too!

carrie on 8/28/02 at 22:23 (093837)

Which is exactly what I have done so far ha ha ha. I love that birlie page where you can get the shoes and wear them around for up to 6 months now that is cool!

I also got some merrells closed athletic black shoes, they are cool looking with dress pants and jeans!@

Andrue on 8/30/02 at 09:30 (093965)

Good question. My PF has been up/down all the time and right now it's better. Except that I'm developing new symptoms which while not painful are annoying and slightly worrying.

Ellen J. on 8/30/02 at 20:31 (094027)

I've had 3 yrs of ups and downs and now I'm finally getting the hang of what causes all the ups and downs. It has been frustrating and bewildering but now I know alot about what I shouldn't do and I'm getting better. For instance, I didn't know that those times that I briefly squatted down to get something ended up causing pain the next day. Or the time I tried on a pair of shoes in the store. Even though I didn't buy them, I was in pain the next day. Or when I would get up on my toes to reach something on a tall shelf. Next day, my feet would hurt. They hurt at different spots at different times, depending on what I did to cause the pain. That's why it has taken 3 yrs of analyzing, examining, paying attention to every boring little detail of life in order to figure out what things perpetuated this condition. The other problem is, when I started to feel better I would forget about my feet and then go running up a flight of stairs. Within 5 minutes my feet would begin hurting and with that would come the anxiety as I wondered how much damage I had just done. It's really hard to remember to be careful once you are feeling better but the ups and downs get less extreme over time as the feet get better.
Ellen J.

nancy s. on 8/31/02 at 03:49 (094051)

ellen, that's a great post. it shows precisely why constant vigilance is so important in understanding what causes setbacks and what prolongs the healing process. some of these things seem so minute that they go unnoticed by many people, yet avoiding them is crucial to controlling one's pain and helping the feet improve. in the big picture, these seemingly small precautionary measures can make a very large difference.

it used to feel like such a bother; 'oh no, am i forever going to have to pay THIS much attention to my feet?' but if we teach ourselves to, yes, pay THIS much attention, it becomes second nature and doesn't interfere with life nearly as much as we anticipated. it's well worth it if it brings a person back to life -- and it can.

again, a great post. thanks.

john h on 8/31/02 at 08:15 (094056)

Ellen: I have oftem said that I suspect squatting down can be a problem. We do it so often and not even think about it. I empty the kitty litter box every day, Yesterday I was changing the wheel on a riding mower which had me in the squatting position for an hour. I did not pay attention but you can bet a large part of that time was spent up on my toes. It is hard to live a normal life and not have to squat down to fix,move, or do something. We do it almost without thinking.

Ellen J. on 9/01/02 at 15:27 (094148)

It would be interesting to have the people on this forum contribute what they have discovered on this topic. It takes so long for many of us to figure out what is reinjuring the feet that maybe if we had a long list generated by alot of people we could look at the list and think about what items on that list may have caused a recent setback (assuming we don't know ourselves, that is).
This message board has helped me so much and I'm very glad I discovered it.
Ellen J.

carrie on 9/02/02 at 12:51 (094228)

How can you not think about it when it is there to remind me every time i move, in fact it is so bad and sensitive that when I rub it against the sheet in bed it hurts!

carrie on 9/02/02 at 12:57 (094231)

It seems so confusing, one person will tell me to stop stressing so much on my feet another tells me to think about it all the time, what is the real answer?

john h on 9/03/02 at 08:40 (094331)

Nancy: Although I am not good at it I agree that you must pay very close attention to what you are doing to avoid some of the setbacks we all experience. Some of our every day actions we pay no attention to can cause a problem. Almost anything that would cause you to rise up on your toes or put tension suddenly on the fascia could be the culprit.

Julie on 9/03/02 at 09:10 (094336)

Be aware of it all the time. That's how you'll learn. That doesn't mean never thinking about anything else.