Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions for the Doc.

Posted by Peggy on 8/28/02 at 08:35 (093791)

Hi,

I've been getting my neuroma treated with sclerosing; and I also have metarsalgia so I've been wearing these metatarsal orthotics from the good feet store. They seem to work well, however, I've been feeling pain in my right ankle (outside) bone; felt pulling in the back and then the ankle got swollen that day. The swelling has gone done but sometimes just sitting I get pain. Do you think this is caused by this orthotic? They did have various sizes but I opted for the one to lift my arch a bit more -- which causes my foot to go more forward to. Perhaps this is too much strain on my ankles, or I'm walking differently (?) I'm not sure but I've schedule an appt. with an Orthopaedic Surgeon. Maybe this orthotic wasn't the way to go as my Pod suggested a custom made one. But I'm so skeptical that those rigid ones may not be easy to wear.

Also, would you know if someone has metatarsalgia, ball of the foot pain. Is that something like a bruise and heels. My pod mentioned that there is surgery for that but I've never heard of that one; something about lifting the bone. Doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks

Re: two fractured feet

Chris M on 8/29/02 at 10:35 (093870)

On July 31,2002 I fractured my right calcaneus. I also refractured the second metatarsal in my left foot at the same time. I fell from a ledge and managed to do a number on both feet. I have had a short leg cast on the right foor since the sixth of August. I am having alot of pain in my right heel still at the end of August and extreme amount of pain in the left foot. The doctor was kind enough to not cast the left foot. Unfortunately my second toe on my left foor is crossing over the third toe. The third toe has begun to look like a hammer toe and I have a bunion on the left foot. Once the heel on the right foot has heeled up what can be done to correct the left foot. I am still unable to put a shoe on the left foot and it is very painful to walk on the left foot. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: two fractured feet

Chris M on 8/29/02 at 10:35 (093870)

On July 31,2002 I fractured my right calcaneus. I also refractured the second metatarsal in my left foot at the same time. I fell from a ledge and managed to do a number on both feet. I have had a short leg cast on the right foor since the sixth of August. I am having alot of pain in my right heel still at the end of August and extreme amount of pain in the left foot. The doctor was kind enough to not cast the left foot. Unfortunately my second toe on my left foor is crossing over the third toe. The third toe has begun to look like a hammer toe and I have a bunion on the left foot. Once the heel on the right foot has heeled up what can be done to correct the left foot. I am still unable to put a shoe on the left foot and it is very painful to walk on the left foot. Any advice is greatly appreciated!