Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Living with this Pain!

Posted by Rebecca C. on 8/29/02 at 00:35 (093846)

I have been in so much pain with heel spurs in both feet. I've had surgery in both and to no avail. The spurs have returned. I am a patient of a Pain Treatment Center for migraines, I had an appt today and discussed with them my pain from the heel spurs. Because of being under contract with this center my Orthopedic was not allowed to give me any meds for my foot pain. I thought that because of this, the center would give me something for the pain. They only said, we wish to deal with only the pain that you originally came to us about (migraines). After great lengths of discussion, they finally allowed me to accept meds from my Orthopedic Sugeon, if he wishes to give them to me temporarily. I say all this because I warn those who think going to Pain Centers is the answer. I have decided to terminate my contract with them so that I can receive medical attention from my surgeon. Do any of you think that I should just live with the pain, or fight for the right to have meds for spurs and migraines. Pain is pain, no matter where it orginates from.

Re: Living with this Pain!

Necee on 8/29/02 at 01:14 (093848)

You said it right Rebecca, 'pain is pain', and since you went to a pain managment center for treatment, I think that they should have treated you irreguardless of where your pain is. You are hurting, thats why you are there in the first place.
I don't believe that you should have to live with this, so continue your fight, don't give in or give up. Only you can make your life better, and thats going to take some persistence on your part.
What do you do as far as therapy on your feet? Are you icing? The pain comes from inflammation, so you must be doing things that reduce it. Also wearing the right type of supportive shoes is very important, so consider that as well.
Continue your fight Rebecca, and ask questions, read all that you can, and stay in touch here, there is a wealth of information, as well as very knowledgeable and caring folks who are more than happy to offer their suggestions and ideas.

Happy trails to you......

Necee

Suzanne D on 8/29/02 at 05:25 (093853)

Necee's right, Rebecca. I have no experience with a pain clinic, but there are several who post here who have, and I am sure they will give you good advice.

It would seem to me that 'the whole person' needs to be treated, not just one specific area. That would be like just working with a child at school in reading and never giving any attention to math or physical exercise, etc. (Sorry; I'm a teacher! And that reminds me, I've got to go get ready!)

Hang in there! I wish you the best.

Suzanne :-)

Re: Time for a new clinic !!

BrianG on 8/29/02 at 17:50 (093906)

Hi Rebecca,

You are finding out that not all pain management clinics are created equall. Some will prescribe NO pain meds at all! By all means you should have pain control,if needed. It's not worth it to try and argue with your current clinic. And I doubt that your Ortho guy will want to treat you long term. I advise you find another, more compassionate, pain clinic. If you go to this site: http://www.pain.com scroll to near the bottom of the home page. You'll find a link to click on that will take you to a good many pain clinics in each state. Good luck in your search.

BrianG

Rebecca C. on 9/02/02 at 19:49 (094290)

Thank you for your support. I do ice every night and any other time during day that the pain gets to unbearable. I have read that Brickenstock shoes are the best for heel spurs and just found a department store in my small town that carries them. I have been wearing Easy Spirit Atheletic shoes. I have an appointment with my Surgeon this Wednesday. I pray he will have some suggestions for me.
I love this message board and I am so grateful I found it. You are right there are many wonderful understanding people here.
Rebecca C.

Rebecca C. on 9/02/02 at 19:50 (094291)

Thank you for the web site and I will take a look at it.
Rebecca

BrianG on 9/02/02 at 21:26 (094305)

If you find a new clinic that you think you may want to check out, it's OK to call first to see what they have to offer. No need to waste precious time if they have a different philosophy than you do.

Good luck
BrianG

Kat K on 9/03/02 at 10:26 (094342)

My spurs have not gotten as severe as your, but I was walking with a crutch for a few months and I used to have migraines. I am allergic to almost every type of medication, so pain and anti-inflammiotry meds were out. I began taking mega-doses of magnesium and I am now walking without a crutch and rarely have a migraine.

Magnesium balances out excessive calcium (calcium CALCIFIES our bones, may also be an imbalance that causes the spur to begin to grow in the first place), relaxes muscles, supports nervous system, seems to work as an anti-inflammatory, has greatly reduced my pain, and has over 300 vitals functions it performs in our bodies. I believe it is helping to actually heal instead of masking the pain. One article I read said that approximately 90% of all Americans are deficient.

Magnesium is very inexpensive, safe, and might be worth a try.

Kat

carrie on 9/05/02 at 16:57 (094544)

I am curious what kind of pain medication it is that your wanting? I too am contracted with a pain center and they only want me to get narcotics(opiods) from them, my pharmacy will not fill any extra narcotics pain scripts anyhow at least not with my insurance etc. I know many people who go to several Dr's and get scripts filled at different places, these are people who usually have a problem with the medication in the first place. HOwever, many pain Dr's don't prescribe the right doseage to control peoples pain, this leaves them needing more, so they go to another Dr etc etc etc.

If you are seeking any other kind of medication other than narcotics, I would think there should be no problem with you getting them from your pod. HOwever if it is narcotics your trying to get, then you are supposed to only be getting them from one source. If your pain management team is not being supportive or controling your pain then it is time to seek care elsewhere.

Hugs
C

Necee on 8/29/02 at 01:14 (093848)

You said it right Rebecca, 'pain is pain', and since you went to a pain managment center for treatment, I think that they should have treated you irreguardless of where your pain is. You are hurting, thats why you are there in the first place.
I don't believe that you should have to live with this, so continue your fight, don't give in or give up. Only you can make your life better, and thats going to take some persistence on your part.
What do you do as far as therapy on your feet? Are you icing? The pain comes from inflammation, so you must be doing things that reduce it. Also wearing the right type of supportive shoes is very important, so consider that as well.
Continue your fight Rebecca, and ask questions, read all that you can, and stay in touch here, there is a wealth of information, as well as very knowledgeable and caring folks who are more than happy to offer their suggestions and ideas.

Happy trails to you......

Necee

Suzanne D on 8/29/02 at 05:25 (093853)

Necee's right, Rebecca. I have no experience with a pain clinic, but there are several who post here who have, and I am sure they will give you good advice.

It would seem to me that 'the whole person' needs to be treated, not just one specific area. That would be like just working with a child at school in reading and never giving any attention to math or physical exercise, etc. (Sorry; I'm a teacher! And that reminds me, I've got to go get ready!)

Hang in there! I wish you the best.

Suzanne :-)

BrianG on 8/29/02 at 17:50 (093906)

Hi Rebecca,

You are finding out that not all pain management clinics are created equall. Some will prescribe NO pain meds at all! By all means you should have pain control,if needed. It's not worth it to try and argue with your current clinic. And I doubt that your Ortho guy will want to treat you long term. I advise you find another, more compassionate, pain clinic. If you go to this site: http://www.pain.com scroll to near the bottom of the home page. You'll find a link to click on that will take you to a good many pain clinics in each state. Good luck in your search.

BrianG

Rebecca C. on 9/02/02 at 19:49 (094290)

Thank you for your support. I do ice every night and any other time during day that the pain gets to unbearable. I have read that Brickenstock shoes are the best for heel spurs and just found a department store in my small town that carries them. I have been wearing Easy Spirit Atheletic shoes. I have an appointment with my Surgeon this Wednesday. I pray he will have some suggestions for me.
I love this message board and I am so grateful I found it. You are right there are many wonderful understanding people here.
Rebecca C.

Rebecca C. on 9/02/02 at 19:50 (094291)

Thank you for the web site and I will take a look at it.
Rebecca

BrianG on 9/02/02 at 21:26 (094305)

If you find a new clinic that you think you may want to check out, it's OK to call first to see what they have to offer. No need to waste precious time if they have a different philosophy than you do.

Good luck
BrianG

Kat K on 9/03/02 at 10:26 (094342)

My spurs have not gotten as severe as your, but I was walking with a crutch for a few months and I used to have migraines. I am allergic to almost every type of medication, so pain and anti-inflammiotry meds were out. I began taking mega-doses of magnesium and I am now walking without a crutch and rarely have a migraine.

Magnesium balances out excessive calcium (calcium CALCIFIES our bones, may also be an imbalance that causes the spur to begin to grow in the first place), relaxes muscles, supports nervous system, seems to work as an anti-inflammatory, has greatly reduced my pain, and has over 300 vitals functions it performs in our bodies. I believe it is helping to actually heal instead of masking the pain. One article I read said that approximately 90% of all Americans are deficient.

Magnesium is very inexpensive, safe, and might be worth a try.

Kat

carrie on 9/05/02 at 16:57 (094544)

I am curious what kind of pain medication it is that your wanting? I too am contracted with a pain center and they only want me to get narcotics(opiods) from them, my pharmacy will not fill any extra narcotics pain scripts anyhow at least not with my insurance etc. I know many people who go to several Dr's and get scripts filled at different places, these are people who usually have a problem with the medication in the first place. HOwever, many pain Dr's don't prescribe the right doseage to control peoples pain, this leaves them needing more, so they go to another Dr etc etc etc.

If you are seeking any other kind of medication other than narcotics, I would think there should be no problem with you getting them from your pod. HOwever if it is narcotics your trying to get, then you are supposed to only be getting them from one source. If your pain management team is not being supportive or controling your pain then it is time to seek care elsewhere.

Hugs
C