Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

broken/bruised little toe?

Posted by amanda on 8/29/02 at 17:57 (093907)

I hurt my little toe stubbing it against the wall while the rest of my foot continued forward. It hurts in the toe itself and up the left side of my foot a little. The toe is bruising quite badly purple and black on the front and back. It is also swollen. Does this sound like it is broken or just bruised badly? And should I see a doctor or wait and let it heal on its own? Thanks.

Re: Ouch !!!

BrianG on 8/29/02 at 18:55 (093915)

Hi Amanda,

Do you have insurance? If so, get it looked at. If not, you may want to wait around for a doc to check in. Tomorrow is Friday, long weekend, potential pain. I know what I'd do!!

BrianG, not a doc

PS: What if it heals crooked, because it's broken? Not good!

Re: broken/bruised little toe?

Dr Zuckerman on 8/29/02 at 22:35 (093931)

It sounds really broken. Very common injury. Need to x-ray to evaluate the damage. IF the toe is dis located then taping or closed reduction is needed. IF left untreated then could develop into hammer toe

Julie on 8/30/02 at 02:03 (093941)

Do see the doctor. It must be very painful. If it's broken (and it sounds as though it may be) the doctor may tape it to the toe adjacent to it, which will act as a splint. That will relieve the pain somewhat and ensure it heals straight.

pala on 8/30/02 at 07:53 (093951)

i broke my little toe a few years ago. the doctor x rayed it and gave me a walking boot thing. it really took the pain and weight off the toe. i still have the boot and am experimenting with it for my other foot problems. it seems to help. i wonder if all walking boots are good for every foot problem? or is the one i've got just for little toes. when i put it on my right foot then it helps the constant pain of the outside ankle. when i put it on the right foot it relieves the pf and tendonitis. what is this , a miracle boot? should i be experimenting this way? is it safe?

Re: Ouch !!!

BrianG on 8/29/02 at 18:55 (093915)

Hi Amanda,

Do you have insurance? If so, get it looked at. If not, you may want to wait around for a doc to check in. Tomorrow is Friday, long weekend, potential pain. I know what I'd do!!

BrianG, not a doc

PS: What if it heals crooked, because it's broken? Not good!

Dr Zuckerman on 8/29/02 at 22:35 (093931)

It sounds really broken. Very common injury. Need to x-ray to evaluate the damage. IF the toe is dis located then taping or closed reduction is needed. IF left untreated then could develop into hammer toe

Julie on 8/30/02 at 02:03 (093941)

Do see the doctor. It must be very painful. If it's broken (and it sounds as though it may be) the doctor may tape it to the toe adjacent to it, which will act as a splint. That will relieve the pain somewhat and ensure it heals straight.

pala on 8/30/02 at 07:53 (093951)

i broke my little toe a few years ago. the doctor x rayed it and gave me a walking boot thing. it really took the pain and weight off the toe. i still have the boot and am experimenting with it for my other foot problems. it seems to help. i wonder if all walking boots are good for every foot problem? or is the one i've got just for little toes. when i put it on my right foot then it helps the constant pain of the outside ankle. when i put it on the right foot it relieves the pf and tendonitis. what is this , a miracle boot? should i be experimenting this way? is it safe?