Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I know someone has the answer here......

Posted by Kim R. on 8/29/02 at 18:19 (093910)

You all have been such a tremendous help throughout the pf ordeal. I am doing better. I am actually not limping this evening. Someone please tell me why my big toe feels like it is asleep. I do not have back problems, I do not have sciatic nerve problems. Have I frozen my foot with all this ice therapy? Someone please respond before I diagnose myself with some dreaded disease. Thanks, Kim

Re: I know someone has the answer here......

R C on 8/29/02 at 18:42 (093913)

Kim,

Glad to see that you are doing better. If my big toe felt like it was asleep (I assume you mean all the time), I would suspect a nerve or circulatory issue. My worries would escalate if there were any loss of function in the toe, or any discoloration of the flesh. In any case, a visit to the doctor seems warranted.

R C

Pauline on 8/29/02 at 18:54 (093914)

Kim,
When it comes to rushing into a self diagnoses of a dreaded disease put it off until tomorrow. No need to rush into something that probably isn't true in the first place.

I don't think you froze your foot off with the ice. My guess is that pressure on a nerve is probably causing your problem. If your wearing orthotics they could be putting pressure under the first metatarsal if they are full length causing some pressure on a nerve. They are also changeing the way you walk so perhaps this combination is causing your big toe to feel like it's asleep.

My guess is the orthotic but I'm not doctor. Massage the area tonight to stimulate circulation, and exercise your toe by gently moving it back and forth. Also massage under that first metatarsal joint.

Most of all relax and enjoy the evening. If you don't get feeling back in a couple of days contact your doctor. If you've had surgery contact him tomorrow.

Kim R. on 8/29/02 at 19:52 (093921)

Pauline thank you, my first was the orthotic and all the expensive new low-heeled shoes as well. That was until I did an internet search for 'numb toes' and pulled up disorders that I never even knew existed. I will call doc. tomorrow.

Julie on 8/30/02 at 01:59 (093940)

Kim, I very much doubt you've frozen your foot! Or that you have some dread disease. Numbness and tingling (which you mentioned earlier) are usually signs of nerve involvement.

R C on 8/29/02 at 18:42 (093913)

Kim,

Glad to see that you are doing better. If my big toe felt like it was asleep (I assume you mean all the time), I would suspect a nerve or circulatory issue. My worries would escalate if there were any loss of function in the toe, or any discoloration of the flesh. In any case, a visit to the doctor seems warranted.

R C

Pauline on 8/29/02 at 18:54 (093914)

Kim,
When it comes to rushing into a self diagnoses of a dreaded disease put it off until tomorrow. No need to rush into something that probably isn't true in the first place.

I don't think you froze your foot off with the ice. My guess is that pressure on a nerve is probably causing your problem. If your wearing orthotics they could be putting pressure under the first metatarsal if they are full length causing some pressure on a nerve. They are also changeing the way you walk so perhaps this combination is causing your big toe to feel like it's asleep.

My guess is the orthotic but I'm not doctor. Massage the area tonight to stimulate circulation, and exercise your toe by gently moving it back and forth. Also massage under that first metatarsal joint.

Most of all relax and enjoy the evening. If you don't get feeling back in a couple of days contact your doctor. If you've had surgery contact him tomorrow.

Kim R. on 8/29/02 at 19:52 (093921)

Pauline thank you, my first was the orthotic and all the expensive new low-heeled shoes as well. That was until I did an internet search for 'numb toes' and pulled up disorders that I never even knew existed. I will call doc. tomorrow.

Julie on 8/30/02 at 01:59 (093940)

Kim, I very much doubt you've frozen your foot! Or that you have some dread disease. Numbness and tingling (which you mentioned earlier) are usually signs of nerve involvement.