Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglunds deformity 18 months later

Posted by karen f on 8/29/02 at 19:51 (093919)

Thanks to all who responded to my last posted message a year ago especially Dr. Reid. I didn't see the responses til now so I did not answer. I had had surgery in Chicago for Haglunds deformity in Dec. 2000 and after all the usual treatment( antibiotics, cortisone injections, stretching, anti inflamatories, etc) I was still in pain.( I had a variety of other health problems as well as personal problems at the same time) Last September I thought I would die the pain was so bad. I dragged myself home one day thinking that if this was what my life was going to be it wasn't worth living. My doctor listened to me and put me on an extra 25 mg. of vioxx at night for about two months as well as the 50 mg I always take for arthritis in the morning. At last the inflammation went away and I only had to deal with the stiffness. BY December I was feeling lots better. Stretching and aquasize (wearing water aerobic shoes) and time has finally brought me relief. I am walking normally. I still wear mostly backless shoes- thank God they are in style but I am starting to try others. It took a good year and a half to recover and now I am about 95% there. I am 58 years old and an overweight diabetic who is fairly well controlled. My toe which had hammartoe surgery at the same time healed perfectly so I don't think the diabetes effected the healing in my heel surgery. I think that the bottom line is to approach all foot surgery with extreme caution. It's not an exact science no matter what anyone says. My 83 year old mother is being advised to have hammar toe surgery and I have told her to get other opinions especially her primary care doctor's assessment of her overall health. Good luck to all of you with heel problems. My hysterectomy was a piece of cake compared to my heel.

Re: Haglunds deformity 18 months later

Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 18:49 (094156)

Glad to hear that you very long recovery is almost over. Yes foot surgery takes a very long time compared to other types of surgery including heart surgery. Our feet are very complex and difficult to heal as you very well know. Take care.

Re: Haglunds deformity 18 months later

Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 18:49 (094156)

Glad to hear that you very long recovery is almost over. Yes foot surgery takes a very long time compared to other types of surgery including heart surgery. Our feet are very complex and difficult to heal as you very well know. Take care.