Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SOUNDS GREAT CAROLE C!

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 8/29/02 at 23:01 (093936)

Sounds great Carole - glad you are enjoying all the Newness of your new move! Keep it enjoyable forever!

Re: SOUNDS GREAT CAROLE C!

Necee on 8/30/02 at 00:18 (093939)

Don't forget the birds! Now that you have a pretty back yard to relax in, remember to feed those birds. They will bring you many hours of enjoyment.

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: Thanks, Rachael and Necee!

Carole C on 8/30/02 at 18:33 (094012)

The movers brought ALL of my stuff today and I even returned the keys to my apartment so I am officially moved now! I am so delighted that my furniture actually looks nice in this house! I wasn't sure because this house is so fancy. Some of my friends teased me that it looks 'fru-fru' and 'fancy-shmancy' because of the way it was decorated, and although I like it they are right! But despite the fru-fru stuff my furniture still looks ok here. What a surprise. Even my blue-green sofa looks great here and it goes really well with my best Tiffany lamp, which is in blues and greens. I am sitting on my sofa watching cable TV on my TV. This is great!

The previous owner had two bird feeders out back, so all I'll have to do is to put some seed in them. I do want to get a birdbath. Meanwhile, I need to unpack some of the boxes, finish cleaning the fish tank (my fishies are in a little 2 gallon temporary tank), and I need to get an edger for the lawn.

I don't know why I'm so exhausted and sore! The movers did all the work. All I did was watch. LOL I'm glad I have the whole LONG weekend to recuperate. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 8/30/02 at 19:04 (094018)

Dear Carole,

Last night I was browsing in one of those 'everything is a dollar' stores while my daughter was at ballet class. They had the radio playing, and there was a 'Cajun-Louisiana-foot-stomping song on (which I love, by the way). I immediately thought of you and how you would be moving ALL your things today and be officially in your new house. How exciting! I always liked books with happy endings and dreams come true. It's even nicer when they are about real people! :-)

Do try to pace yourself and remember your advice of not doing quite as much as you think you can. I am glad you have the long weekend, and even with that, if you don't have everything totally in place, it will be alright. You will get it done. Don't hurt your feet by pushing too hard!

Enjoy! You deserve it. Now wouldn't it be nice if all of us could just drop by for a little housewarming party?!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Thanks, Suzanne!

Carole C on 8/30/02 at 21:07 (094031)

Thanks for the good advice, Suzanne. You are right. I will need to at least TRY to pace myself so that I don't hurt my feet (which already hurt a little by now).

I wish you all could drop by for a housewarming party, too! :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 8/31/02 at 04:06 (094052)

carole, is the first time you've had bird feeders? if so, you're in for a big treat! all my life i took birds for granted -- until we bought our first house, 11 years ago, and put up several bird feeders with different kinds of feed in them. they attracted so many different birds that i ended up buying bird books and a pair of binoculars so i could identify each new kind that showed up. it was a thrilling few years, learning about them, and i'm not even a scientist!

one especially searingly cold winter we had a group of about 80 redpolls that hung around our feeders for a few months -- plus one totally white one. no one in maine had ever seen a white redpoll (and hardly ever even in the common redpolls, which thrive in practically arctic conditions). i reported the white one to the local audubon society, and for weeks we had avid birdwatchers pulling onto our property and hiding behind trees with their binocs in order to get a look at this bird.

no one was ever able to figure out whether it was a 'hoary redpoll' or an albino. but the head of audubon said, 'take a good look, because you'll probably never see one again.' and we didn't. we managed to get some decent photos of it, despite our camera-for-idiots.

happy new house, and happy birdwatching!

nancy

nancy s. on 8/31/02 at 04:11 (094053)

hmmm. first line should read 'is this the first time....'

seond paragraph, second line: '...and hardly ever even the common redpolls....'

I'M not tired.

john h on 8/31/02 at 08:20 (094058)

Nancy S: Have you ever had a chckadee land on your hand with bird seed in it. I have. I coaxed him down on one cold winter morning. what a thrill. the birds all go wild when they see me approaching the feeders (3) as I have been feeding them for 25 years.

nancy s. on 8/31/02 at 11:11 (094067)

i know you have, john, and i've always been envious. i haven't had the experience myself. i stood out there with seed in my hand, oh, maybe eighteen times, freezing to death, before giving up. the chickadees just flew right by me onto the feeders, or -- worse -- they stayed on nearby branches, laughing at me. i was very hurt.
nancy

john h on 8/31/02 at 12:23 (094069)

I guess it is only the southern CHICKadees that do than Nancy.

Carole C on 8/31/02 at 14:40 (094079)

I did try, honestly! I unpacked 40 boxes this morning and put the contents away. I wasn't as bad as that sounds, because 26 boxes contained books, and were only 6-12 feet from the bookcases where they belonged. So it wasn't that hard on my feet, but my upper arms are sure feeling it. I still have 8 more boxes of books but it seemed like time to quit.

I'm trying to rest, watch TV, and surf the net so that I don't totally overdo. It's really nice to be partly unpacked, though. :)

Carole

Carole C on 8/31/02 at 14:42 (094080)

I am really looking forward to watching any birds that appear! I'm armed with bird identification manuals and keys, though I don't (yet) have binoculars. :)

Carole C

JudyS on 9/01/02 at 10:39 (094126)

Carole, don't forget - today's the day of rest......

Carole C in NOLA on 9/01/02 at 12:46 (094137)

LOL!! I think you KNOW me, Judy. :)

I just turned up the A/C and sat down because the sweat (perspiration? glow?) was rolling down my face and neck. I've completely unpacked everything, and put almost all of it away, and then to make more room to put stuff, I had to go through my books and papers to sort out three boxes worth that I can throw out (instructions for using a TRS-80? I don't think I really need that so very much... college catalogs from the 70's? nope...).

Now that I've got that stuff by the back door to take to the trash, there's enough room in the walk-in guest room closet for the books that don't fit in my bookcases, AND for a large folding table, step stool, and my trusty dollie, none of which would fit before.

I still have a few loads of laundry to do, but I need to go to the grocery store first to get more detergent. As long as I'm doing that, I have a huge amount of trash that I should dispose of, including the three boxes I just filled with old books and records, and a stack waist high of emptied, flattened boxes, about 70 or so, and three filled with just packing material. The fishies still need for me to set up their big aquarium. Day of rest? :)

OK, maybe I'd better rest a little bit. :)

It's starting to look like I live here! I am SO GLAD that my PF has stayed reasonable. I've been sort of nursing my knees along, taking Celebrex and doing sit-down jobs when they hurt too much. I located my Weight Watchers materials and as soon as I'm settled in I really ought to use them.

It's so nice to have my cable modem working again, so I can check the board more often.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/01/02 at 16:00 (094150)

I've been thinking of you all day, Carole, and - like Judy - I KNEW that you would be hard at work :-), but I know also that you are very happy! And I am also thankful that your PF has stayed under control so that you could accomplish so much. I know the feeling - 'just one more box...'. It IS a job!

I keep thinking of moving my schoolroom in December! It is just one room, but I doubt that anyone could have any more in that room than I do. And everything is important! :-) Every inch of space is used for something. O.k., I'm a pack-rat; I'll admit it. But then I use all those little boxes with lids, and even empty toilet paper rolls become animals in projects, etc. For the first umpteen years of my teaching career, I had extremely limited money to spend (both school and personal), and I learned to make anything I needed out of something someone else would throw away.
With little children, you need so many 'hands-on' things for them to use in learning centers, etc. That all translates into 'stuff'!

Do sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors tonight. And try to sleep in tomorrow morning before you start back working again!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/01/02 at 19:01 (094159)

Suzanne, will the school provide movers to bring your boxes, or do they expect you to do that part too? I hope not.

If they do provide movers, then it would really help to use the movers to your best advantage. Pack things together that you will need to have in the same place in your classroom, and then mark the box (perhaps color code it?) so that you can tell the movers to put the box over THERE.

It seems to me that the part of moving that is most physically demanding for the feet, is actually picking up the box or else walking around putting things away. If the box is put close enough to where the things go, then you can just open it and put things away right where the box is.

Something that you can be doing right now, is to dispose of anything that will no longer be useful... anything that is looking too tattered to be used, or things that just weren't as helpful as you might have wished, things you plan to replace, and so on. I did quite a lot of this but not enough. If you can find a box full of stuff to throw out each week, or each month, that will be fewer boxes to move. Of course, maybe you don't save junk but I do.

I've found that resting has been very helpful. Actually, I intended to stop and relax for the rest of the day several times today. Instead, I rested and was able to do more later on. Later this afternoon, I disposed of all my trash and boxes, and went to the grocery store on the way home. I picked up some detergent but I haven't done the laundry yet.

My house looks so much nicer now without all the empty boxes! :)

Maybe you can think of a project, something for your children to do that would require them to use the empty boxes from your move, somehow, as part of the project. Then they could take their project home and you wouldn't have to get rid of the boxes! Everyone would win. :)

Carole C

Re: for Carole ~ moving...

Suzanne D on 9/01/02 at 19:38 (094163)

I understand, Carole, that we will have 'volunteers' to help us move. I think you have given me some very good advice: the more organized I am, the easier it will be!

The idea of looking for a box of things to throw out or organize, etc. a week seems like a good plan, and I am going to put that into action this week! Thanks for the thought! It's not too soon to get started with that... Better to be proactive than to just dread the day and then not be ready for the volunteers who do show up.

So glad to hear things are going so well for you!

Re: SOUNDS GREAT CAROLE C!

Necee on 8/30/02 at 00:18 (093939)

Don't forget the birds! Now that you have a pretty back yard to relax in, remember to feed those birds. They will bring you many hours of enjoyment.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C on 8/30/02 at 18:33 (094012)

The movers brought ALL of my stuff today and I even returned the keys to my apartment so I am officially moved now! I am so delighted that my furniture actually looks nice in this house! I wasn't sure because this house is so fancy. Some of my friends teased me that it looks 'fru-fru' and 'fancy-shmancy' because of the way it was decorated, and although I like it they are right! But despite the fru-fru stuff my furniture still looks ok here. What a surprise. Even my blue-green sofa looks great here and it goes really well with my best Tiffany lamp, which is in blues and greens. I am sitting on my sofa watching cable TV on my TV. This is great!

The previous owner had two bird feeders out back, so all I'll have to do is to put some seed in them. I do want to get a birdbath. Meanwhile, I need to unpack some of the boxes, finish cleaning the fish tank (my fishies are in a little 2 gallon temporary tank), and I need to get an edger for the lawn.

I don't know why I'm so exhausted and sore! The movers did all the work. All I did was watch. LOL I'm glad I have the whole LONG weekend to recuperate. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 8/30/02 at 19:04 (094018)

Dear Carole,

Last night I was browsing in one of those 'everything is a dollar' stores while my daughter was at ballet class. They had the radio playing, and there was a 'Cajun-Louisiana-foot-stomping song on (which I love, by the way). I immediately thought of you and how you would be moving ALL your things today and be officially in your new house. How exciting! I always liked books with happy endings and dreams come true. It's even nicer when they are about real people! :-)

Do try to pace yourself and remember your advice of not doing quite as much as you think you can. I am glad you have the long weekend, and even with that, if you don't have everything totally in place, it will be alright. You will get it done. Don't hurt your feet by pushing too hard!

Enjoy! You deserve it. Now wouldn't it be nice if all of us could just drop by for a little housewarming party?!

Carole C on 8/30/02 at 21:07 (094031)

Thanks for the good advice, Suzanne. You are right. I will need to at least TRY to pace myself so that I don't hurt my feet (which already hurt a little by now).

I wish you all could drop by for a housewarming party, too! :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 8/31/02 at 04:06 (094052)

carole, is the first time you've had bird feeders? if so, you're in for a big treat! all my life i took birds for granted -- until we bought our first house, 11 years ago, and put up several bird feeders with different kinds of feed in them. they attracted so many different birds that i ended up buying bird books and a pair of binoculars so i could identify each new kind that showed up. it was a thrilling few years, learning about them, and i'm not even a scientist!

one especially searingly cold winter we had a group of about 80 redpolls that hung around our feeders for a few months -- plus one totally white one. no one in maine had ever seen a white redpoll (and hardly ever even in the common redpolls, which thrive in practically arctic conditions). i reported the white one to the local audubon society, and for weeks we had avid birdwatchers pulling onto our property and hiding behind trees with their binocs in order to get a look at this bird.

no one was ever able to figure out whether it was a 'hoary redpoll' or an albino. but the head of audubon said, 'take a good look, because you'll probably never see one again.' and we didn't. we managed to get some decent photos of it, despite our camera-for-idiots.

happy new house, and happy birdwatching!

nancy

nancy s. on 8/31/02 at 04:11 (094053)

hmmm. first line should read 'is this the first time....'

seond paragraph, second line: '...and hardly ever even the common redpolls....'

I'M not tired.

john h on 8/31/02 at 08:20 (094058)

Nancy S: Have you ever had a chckadee land on your hand with bird seed in it. I have. I coaxed him down on one cold winter morning. what a thrill. the birds all go wild when they see me approaching the feeders (3) as I have been feeding them for 25 years.

nancy s. on 8/31/02 at 11:11 (094067)

i know you have, john, and i've always been envious. i haven't had the experience myself. i stood out there with seed in my hand, oh, maybe eighteen times, freezing to death, before giving up. the chickadees just flew right by me onto the feeders, or -- worse -- they stayed on nearby branches, laughing at me. i was very hurt.
nancy

john h on 8/31/02 at 12:23 (094069)

I guess it is only the southern CHICKadees that do than Nancy.

Carole C on 8/31/02 at 14:40 (094079)

I did try, honestly! I unpacked 40 boxes this morning and put the contents away. I wasn't as bad as that sounds, because 26 boxes contained books, and were only 6-12 feet from the bookcases where they belonged. So it wasn't that hard on my feet, but my upper arms are sure feeling it. I still have 8 more boxes of books but it seemed like time to quit.

I'm trying to rest, watch TV, and surf the net so that I don't totally overdo. It's really nice to be partly unpacked, though. :)

Carole

Carole C on 8/31/02 at 14:42 (094080)

I am really looking forward to watching any birds that appear! I'm armed with bird identification manuals and keys, though I don't (yet) have binoculars. :)

Carole C

JudyS on 9/01/02 at 10:39 (094126)

Carole, don't forget - today's the day of rest......

Carole C in NOLA on 9/01/02 at 12:46 (094137)

LOL!! I think you KNOW me, Judy. :)

I just turned up the A/C and sat down because the sweat (perspiration? glow?) was rolling down my face and neck. I've completely unpacked everything, and put almost all of it away, and then to make more room to put stuff, I had to go through my books and papers to sort out three boxes worth that I can throw out (instructions for using a TRS-80? I don't think I really need that so very much... college catalogs from the 70's? nope...).

Now that I've got that stuff by the back door to take to the trash, there's enough room in the walk-in guest room closet for the books that don't fit in my bookcases, AND for a large folding table, step stool, and my trusty dollie, none of which would fit before.

I still have a few loads of laundry to do, but I need to go to the grocery store first to get more detergent. As long as I'm doing that, I have a huge amount of trash that I should dispose of, including the three boxes I just filled with old books and records, and a stack waist high of emptied, flattened boxes, about 70 or so, and three filled with just packing material. The fishies still need for me to set up their big aquarium. Day of rest? :)

OK, maybe I'd better rest a little bit. :)

It's starting to look like I live here! I am SO GLAD that my PF has stayed reasonable. I've been sort of nursing my knees along, taking Celebrex and doing sit-down jobs when they hurt too much. I located my Weight Watchers materials and as soon as I'm settled in I really ought to use them.

It's so nice to have my cable modem working again, so I can check the board more often.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/01/02 at 16:00 (094150)

I've been thinking of you all day, Carole, and - like Judy - I KNEW that you would be hard at work :-), but I know also that you are very happy! And I am also thankful that your PF has stayed under control so that you could accomplish so much. I know the feeling - 'just one more box...'. It IS a job!

I keep thinking of moving my schoolroom in December! It is just one room, but I doubt that anyone could have any more in that room than I do. And everything is important! :-) Every inch of space is used for something. O.k., I'm a pack-rat; I'll admit it. But then I use all those little boxes with lids, and even empty toilet paper rolls become animals in projects, etc. For the first umpteen years of my teaching career, I had extremely limited money to spend (both school and personal), and I learned to make anything I needed out of something someone else would throw away.
With little children, you need so many 'hands-on' things for them to use in learning centers, etc. That all translates into 'stuff'!

Do sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors tonight. And try to sleep in tomorrow morning before you start back working again!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/01/02 at 19:01 (094159)

Suzanne, will the school provide movers to bring your boxes, or do they expect you to do that part too? I hope not.

If they do provide movers, then it would really help to use the movers to your best advantage. Pack things together that you will need to have in the same place in your classroom, and then mark the box (perhaps color code it?) so that you can tell the movers to put the box over THERE.

It seems to me that the part of moving that is most physically demanding for the feet, is actually picking up the box or else walking around putting things away. If the box is put close enough to where the things go, then you can just open it and put things away right where the box is.

Something that you can be doing right now, is to dispose of anything that will no longer be useful... anything that is looking too tattered to be used, or things that just weren't as helpful as you might have wished, things you plan to replace, and so on. I did quite a lot of this but not enough. If you can find a box full of stuff to throw out each week, or each month, that will be fewer boxes to move. Of course, maybe you don't save junk but I do.

I've found that resting has been very helpful. Actually, I intended to stop and relax for the rest of the day several times today. Instead, I rested and was able to do more later on. Later this afternoon, I disposed of all my trash and boxes, and went to the grocery store on the way home. I picked up some detergent but I haven't done the laundry yet.

My house looks so much nicer now without all the empty boxes! :)

Maybe you can think of a project, something for your children to do that would require them to use the empty boxes from your move, somehow, as part of the project. Then they could take their project home and you wouldn't have to get rid of the boxes! Everyone would win. :)

Carole C

Re: for Carole ~ moving...

Suzanne D on 9/01/02 at 19:38 (094163)

I understand, Carole, that we will have 'volunteers' to help us move. I think you have given me some very good advice: the more organized I am, the easier it will be!

The idea of looking for a box of things to throw out or organize, etc. a week seems like a good plan, and I am going to put that into action this week! Thanks for the thought! It's not too soon to get started with that... Better to be proactive than to just dread the day and then not be ready for the volunteers who do show up.

So glad to hear things are going so well for you!