Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes

Posted by carrie on 8/30/02 at 07:46 (093950)

Got my birkies in the mail yesterday they are cute, but man are they hard. How long does it take to get used to that hardness? Do they get softer or is this it? I mean they don't hurt they are just kind of hard, I do love them though they are cute cute cute. I also got closeouts on dansko shoes, these are so cute and fashionable but with about an inch heel so I am concerned, I think maybe if I only wear them for short periods of time I might be cool, what do you think guys?

Re: Shoes

Kim R. on 8/30/02 at 09:59 (093975)

The guys at the shoe store I went to the other day do not recommend Birkenstocks for people with pf in the acute phase because the soles of these shoes is too rigid and causes more pain. I was in definite agreement. I had order 2 pairs of Birks and they were like walking on rocks. I bought a pair of Mephisto sandals to wear around the house and the pool when I am not in my New Balance. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I almost wore them to the office today. They told me once the foot heals that Birks would be o.k. but not in the painful stages and they were right.

Julie on 8/30/02 at 11:17 (093981)

Carrie, Birks need to be broken in - or rather your feet need time to accustom themselves to them. Wear them for half an hour a day for the first few days, and increase gradually.

Kim, I think this indicates how individual PF is, how differently people experience it, and how what helps some people doesn't necessarily help all people. Many of us who have been around for some time have found Birkenstocks a godsend in the acute phase. I know I did, but I know too that they don't help everyone - in the acute phase or in any other phase.

One of the doctors put it concisely not long ago: if the bumps and hollows in the Birk footbed correspond to those in your feet, they will help, and if they don't, they won't. My experience was that when I first put my feet into them there was immediate relief from the intense pain in my left heel - and even now, 18 months post-PF, it's still one of life's pleasures to slip into them.

carrie on 9/02/02 at 11:18 (094219)

I think it is very individual and in my case I cannot even wear the new balance shoes without pain, so I think that anyone saying this or that should be careful, and remember that it may be bad for one person and not another. The birkenstocks are the only shoe I can wear right now, with out that hard support on my arch I cannot walk without pain.

take care

Kim R. on 8/30/02 at 09:59 (093975)

The guys at the shoe store I went to the other day do not recommend Birkenstocks for people with pf in the acute phase because the soles of these shoes is too rigid and causes more pain. I was in definite agreement. I had order 2 pairs of Birks and they were like walking on rocks. I bought a pair of Mephisto sandals to wear around the house and the pool when I am not in my New Balance. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I almost wore them to the office today. They told me once the foot heals that Birks would be o.k. but not in the painful stages and they were right.

Julie on 8/30/02 at 11:17 (093981)

Carrie, Birks need to be broken in - or rather your feet need time to accustom themselves to them. Wear them for half an hour a day for the first few days, and increase gradually.

Kim, I think this indicates how individual PF is, how differently people experience it, and how what helps some people doesn't necessarily help all people. Many of us who have been around for some time have found Birkenstocks a godsend in the acute phase. I know I did, but I know too that they don't help everyone - in the acute phase or in any other phase.

One of the doctors put it concisely not long ago: if the bumps and hollows in the Birk footbed correspond to those in your feet, they will help, and if they don't, they won't. My experience was that when I first put my feet into them there was immediate relief from the intense pain in my left heel - and even now, 18 months post-PF, it's still one of life's pleasures to slip into them.

carrie on 9/02/02 at 11:18 (094219)

I think it is very individual and in my case I cannot even wear the new balance shoes without pain, so I think that anyone saying this or that should be careful, and remember that it may be bad for one person and not another. The birkenstocks are the only shoe I can wear right now, with out that hard support on my arch I cannot walk without pain.

take care