Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calf pain from orthotics?

Posted by biff on 8/31/02 at 13:55 (094074)

I'm pretty much recovering, I think (very little pain for several days now!), and I think it's the store-bought orthotics that did it. But they seem to be giving me some muscle pain in my legs. Not really in the calves, but on the outside of both lower legs, a few inches above the ankles. It feels like the muscle pain you get from working out, so I assume it's because the orthotics are working muscles I don't usually use much. I assume once those muscles get used to being worked, they'll stop hurting.

But should this be a concern? Is it a sign that the orthotics may be doing some kind of orthopedic damage?

Re: Calf pain from orthotics?

Dr. Z on 8/31/02 at 14:09 (094077)

It could also be the orthosis are pushing your foot toward the outside of the body causing straining of the peroneal longus and or brevis tendons. What this means is you may have too much correction. Watch this closely and if the pain increases stop wearing the orthosis and see a podiatrist to evaluate your gait and stance. Good luck.

Mahatmelissama on 9/02/02 at 15:08 (094258)

I get calf pain if I stand too long or after I stand too long is the extremely slooping bathtub taking a shower.

The orthotics could help you stand longer...or they may be bad and holding your feet the wrong way, throwing everything off. Hard to tell from your post.

Mark on 9/05/02 at 01:38 (094500)

Most likely your pain is from your muscles having to work harder. Orthoses are intended to help balance the muscles -- not overwork them. Usually it is the shoe causing the imbalance and the orthoses simply make the condition more obvious. If your shoe is run over, has a squishy, wobbly sole or is letting your foot bulge and hang out over the edge of the sole, consider the problem solved. If this is the case, try a light-weight flexible shoe with good lateral heel and forefoot control like a cross-trainer or hiker. There are loads of new hikers available in sporting goods stores that are very supportive yet not heavy and bulky. Some trail runners are pretty good too. Good luck.

Mark

Dr. Z on 8/31/02 at 14:09 (094077)

It could also be the orthosis are pushing your foot toward the outside of the body causing straining of the peroneal longus and or brevis tendons. What this means is you may have too much correction. Watch this closely and if the pain increases stop wearing the orthosis and see a podiatrist to evaluate your gait and stance. Good luck.

Mahatmelissama on 9/02/02 at 15:08 (094258)

I get calf pain if I stand too long or after I stand too long is the extremely slooping bathtub taking a shower.

The orthotics could help you stand longer...or they may be bad and holding your feet the wrong way, throwing everything off. Hard to tell from your post.

Mark on 9/05/02 at 01:38 (094500)

Most likely your pain is from your muscles having to work harder. Orthoses are intended to help balance the muscles -- not overwork them. Usually it is the shoe causing the imbalance and the orthoses simply make the condition more obvious. If your shoe is run over, has a squishy, wobbly sole or is letting your foot bulge and hang out over the edge of the sole, consider the problem solved. If this is the case, try a light-weight flexible shoe with good lateral heel and forefoot control like a cross-trainer or hiker. There are loads of new hikers available in sporting goods stores that are very supportive yet not heavy and bulky. Some trail runners are pretty good too. Good luck.

Mark