Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

before and after surgery

Posted by JuneT on 8/31/02 at 17:29 (094087)

I am about to have Tarsel tunnel surgery, and am soo upset. The pain is so severe now that I can hardley go a few steps.It will take forever to get into my dr to explain the before and after surgical peocedures,or even to set the date. He is sooo busy. and I am at my wits end not knowing what to expect. I can deal with things much better if they are not 'surprises'I am slightley encouraged because I just found 'Scotts' web site. This is the first person that I could relate to in years, I thought it was me talkng. Do you usually get admitted, or come right home? Also, what kind of drugs are you given, and for how long I am so afraid that I will not be able to deal with the pain, and they will give me a few Tylenols.My dr' is good, but far to busy, and I need answers. I am not great with this web tv,so I hope and pray I can get back to this site.Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, June

Re: before and after surgery

Cheri A on 8/31/02 at 22:10 (094101)

June, when I had TTS surgery, it was as an outpatient. I think it would be hard to say in advance what will happen. Everyone's experience varies.
For my own experience, I was more comfortable afterwards than I had expected. My foot was very well wrapped, and I kept it elevated as much as possible. I was given a prescription for pain medication, and I did use it, but the pain was not as bad as I had feared it would be. I don't believe I had the scrip refilled. I feel that you should press your doctor for information, for your own peace of mind.

Julie on 9/01/02 at 01:48 (094111)

Hello June

I am sorrry about your pain, but I'm glad you've found this website. Welcome - and I hope you do find your way back again!

I know very little about tarsal tunnel syndrome or the surgery for it apart from what I've been reading on these boards over the last two years, but there are people who know a great deal (Wendy, Sharon, Elliott, I hope you're reading) and I hope they will reply to you. But I really would urge you not to go ahead with surgery until you have sat down with your doctor, asked all your questions, and received answers to them that you can understand and accept. That he is 'too busy' to see and talk to you rings all kinds of warning bells - in my ears, anyway.

I have been reading these message boards for a long time, and one thing about tarsal tunnel surgery has stood out: it is apparently likely to be successful only if there is an identifiable mass in the tunnel that can be surgically removed. Have you had all the relevant tests that can establish this, and has it been established?

Now I'll shut up and let the TTS experts take over. I just got very worried by the thought of your going into surgery without being able totally to trust your doctor.

I hope you get your answers, and wish you all the best for your healing.

Re: To June

wendyn on 9/01/02 at 08:25 (094117)

June, if you do make it back to this site - please post another note so we know that you've found us again!!!

I think Julie is right with her concerns(and thanks for bringing this post up Julie, my time on the boards has been really limited lately).

Whether or not you're an outpatient, what type of meds you receive etc is really up to your doctor. If your doctor is too busy to explan things to you, then you need to find a different doctor.

You also need to spend some serious time here researching what other people have been through (especially with the surgery). Take your time making a decision.

What types of tests have you had done, and how long have you been having a problem?

Re: before and after surgery-Cheri

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 12:41 (094136)

Cheri,
You were an 'out patient'. Hmmmm that has me wondering,'how the heck did you even get in your front door,when you came home??' That should prove to be interistig. I have tried cruches before, and can't use them, my back is too bad,and I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also have carpel tunnel. and we have a few steps to come in the front and back doors. Noone is gonna' carry me, that's for sure. I am always on steroids for my asthma, and it has caused a lot of weight gain, so 90 lbs. I am not! Please share, how many incisions do you all of you have and how long, and where, I can't find any pictures on ithat. How long were yo off work?? I work o my feet all day. That is something else that has me really stressd out, I own my own businesses, and of course the holiday time it the time of the year any money is made, and this could probally have been done over the summer if addressed sooner. Hope I don't sound self centered, I certianly don;t ,ean it that way, but my businesses can not survive the holidays with out me. On the other hand, if I don't get some relief, I will not survive the holidays.Many of the good surgons are so busy that they ave a look see, and have no time for questions. My dr sees 48/50 patients a day......but all say he's good. I have soooo many quetions, and fears. I have been living in a deep dark hole all alone. I have a wonderful supportave husband, but my stress has caused him to have high blood pressure.A while back I was a strong business woman here in town,now I am a total basket case, getting worse by the second .It's amazing what pain, and fear even ignorance can do to a person. June

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 13:04 (094138)

Julie,
Thank you for your warm welcome. Maybe since I have found you all, it may help maintain my sanity...one can hope.
As far as the identifiable mass. Are you talking on the outside where the eye can see? If you are,then no, I have no such mass.I have pain, and lots of it. So much pain that it has disrupted every area of my life. The only things I can do fairley comfortabley are sit, and lie down. No cooking, cleaning, laundry, work,playing with my little g.kids, no walikng at the grocery store. Nothing, and I am not able to live like this any longer.Thats why when the dr says 'cut'..I'll say 'how soon' . This leads me to anothe problem that has me terribly concerned, and I have been too embarrassed to mention it to you all, but what the heck. I need help, so I'm gonna' lay it all out, if anyone thinks I'm a kook, so be it. OK..I have an abnormal fear of IV needles. Shots are ok, because I can hold my breath that long. But this thing with IV needles is a very real phobia, just as real as the key board I am using to tell you about it.Our pre operating room has bunches of people lined up with a curtain between them, as they wait their surgery. You see the people beig wheeled back and forth constantly with the IV. WhenI see it, I think I am going to suffocate.Please don't think me a baby, or a whimp, it is so real, and I am afraid I will bolt even bere the surgery would begin.Guess I need to be 'knocked out' before I get 'knocked out'. Is anyone thinking I am crazy yet? I now how it sounds, but I have always been like that.I better get out of here, and hope you can think of some advice for me. Thank you, June

Julie on 9/01/02 at 13:36 (094140)

June - glad you found your way back.

Nobody is going to think you a baby or a wimp because you have a fear of needles. Lots of people do: it's not especially unusual. The important thing is that you tell the doctor who is going to do your surgery about it. Schedule an appointment with him so that you can go through all your questions, and be open about your fears.

In this and any other stressful situation, don't hold your breath. Try to breathe naturally and evenly, and focus especially on breathing out. That will help you to relax.

The 'identifiable mass' I mentioned isn't outside, it's in the tarsal tunnel itself (or not, as the case may be). No, it's not something you can see - as far as I know. But I'd rather let the experts here tell you more about that. You said in your post to Sharon that you've had an MRI - what did it reveal?

Re: June - PS

Julie on 9/01/02 at 13:37 (094141)

Check out Wendy's FAQ - there's a link at the top of the Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome board.

Re: To June-Wendyn

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 13:41 (094143)

Wendyn,
You are right, I should do research on what others have been through with this surgery. I have been looking for as much as I can but only have I found 1 pesonal story/reference, as to what anyone went through,and it was Scott, it was his web site that led me here to you. I can find no oter personal information, tips, advice, or statictics as to the outcome I am just getting an impression that recovery is loooong, and painful, that is somethng that I NEED to know, my health is important, but it also the survival of my busneses over the holidays DEPENDS on it.I need a really GOOD and honest idea of what to expect. If I have a clue, I can begin to prepare for it NOW, rather than not be able to deal with it later. My surgeon is of the mind that you are back to work in 2, possibly 3 weeks weeks, and I pretty much think that must be a joke espically since I work on my feet. Is 2/3 weeks realistic? How long was everyone else off ? My husband recently had carpel,tunnel surgery, and works with his hands, they said he might be going back in 5 days. NOT !.
My tests... MRI a whle back, this week I had the EMG The pain..the botto of my heel, going toward the arch, and up the back of the heal. I loose balance when standing up after sitting a bit, I balance myself on the ball of the foot, putting and weight on the heel is far too paiful, it feels like stepping on broken glass sometimes, and walking on needles other times, a sensation of hundreds of bee stings all aroud the heel area, and starting up the sides of the heel .Some times it feels like the nerves are having a powerr drill run in them, also elec. shocks, and sometimes it is like the nerves are crawling all up into a ball, when that happens, I just kind of rock back and forth til things feel like they are flatening enough so I don't fall. I am scared to death of falling since I have high risk osterpoosis in my hips. I have no desire to use a cane, but am amazed that no dr has ordered one. A few days ago all the burners were preheating on the stove, I lost my balance, and almost went face fist on the lit burners, just caught myself in time.There are a few spots the size of a dime on my heel if you press, I'd go through the roof.I sort of drag my foot along. This started a few years ago, but in the past few months has gotten unbearable. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone. I am sooo eager for any imput anyone has to offer, and for that, I thank you, June

Re: To Wendy from June

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 15:06 (094147)

Wendy,
I was recommended to check out your questios and answers. It was WONDEFUL! I am a bit mixd up because I have web tv, and I think you are all on puter, that sometimes is different, so I need a day or 2 to figure ot what I'm doing.I was talking about finding something written by Scott, now I guess it s Steve, and you have done a web site togeather. I was amazedat how famalier many things sounded.I need to add some more medical info to what I have posted.I have no pain in or around my ankles, or toes, almost everything else rang true, except 1 other. I have no 'shock' from tapping the tinsel's sign any where near the ankle, but if I tap the bottom of the heel, I get a sensation in my toes, not pain, just a bit tingley.If on occassion I retain fluid, I feel more pain, I thought I was crazy, but something you said, gave me an indication, that it actually made sense. Someone asked the result of my MRI MRI results ..deterioated fat pad. The surgon feels that it would not be cause for th extreme pain I am having,that also led to the Tarsal Tunnel dx. June

wendyn on 9/01/02 at 20:48 (094173)

June, acutally Steve has a website devoted to TTS. Scott runs this website (where the bulletin board is). They each have a link to each other's website.

June, have you had blood work done? And do you know what the results of your nerve conduction test are? One more question - have you seen a neurologist through all of this, and oh - one more....do you have symptoms anywhere other than your feet?

Re: June on phobias

wendyn on 9/01/02 at 20:53 (094174)

June, there are those of us here who have phobias of elevators, and airplanes, and confined spaces...you name it!!!!

If it really does come down to surgery, some surgeons will give you something like a valium pre-op. You could probably have it before the IV.

But honestly, I think it's to early to consider surgery yet.

Your comments about losing your balance worry me, and that they didn't seem to find anything on the MRI. TTS surgery seems to be most successful when there is something actually in the tunnel that they are going in there to remove (like a cyst or a varicose vein).

Re: Another Post to June

wendyn on 9/01/02 at 20:55 (094175)

Sorry June, I sometimes read all of the posts in reverse - and I keep finding things to mention.

If you have not had done yet - you MUST HAVE a blood test for the following:

diabetes
thyroid level
B12
rheumatoid arthritis
lupus

Most doctors WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT operate on you unless everything else has been ruled out.

Have you had these done?

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 22:18 (094181)

Wendy,
I had all those tests from my Neurologist 2 or 3 times. All was well. My goodness, how do you know all this, and have such wonderful information??? Thank you, again. I keep checking for any new info on the board. I have never been so desperate for imput as I am now, there just isn't a lot of informatioon out there.How long were all of you 'out of the ball game' after surgery? I read in Steves story that he could nothing ...absolutely nothing for days. I'll hide my red face as I ask, can you go to the bathroom???????
How were potty calls handeled the first few days???? June

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 22:44 (094183)

I have had blood work done off and on. The neuro was always checking my sugar, it was so great everyone would want my numbers. I think it was 6 or 8 weeks since last checked.I have no 'formal' results of my nerve conduction study. The surgeon will have them Tue. The Dr. giving the test made strong indications that there was a serious problem, because he is the one that said his recommendations would be on an emergency level, and seemed quite concerned during the test. I have seen a neruologist for years, it started with my back. He is the one that gave me my nerve blocks all the time usually they got my back sooo flared up that I'd spend days in bed. No, I don't really have symptoms any place other than my foot, but the foot problem has totaly disabled me lately. BUT once in a while I get a nerve type pain going up the inside of my calf, but it doesn't bother me much, and once in a while I get electric shock nerve pain in the knee joint area. That area hurts, but only lasts second then may not come back for a days.Why do you ask, what are your thoughts?? My Neuro always said this was Neuropathy, but the Surgeon said during my exam 'woooah, there's a lot more going on than neuropathy!!' What is really frusterating Wendy, is that they don't ask enough questions, or if they do ask they don't give you enough time to answer thouroughly. In your few posts you have asked me more questions than either of my doctors have in the past. That is why this has been going on so long. Seems that there s something wrong with this picture,. But in defense of the surgeon, he has a wonderful reputation,that why he's soo busy.I will definately stick with him, unless he hands me off to yet another doctor. It has been an endless cycle.
June

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 22:50 (094185)

Wendy, The loosing of e balance is not a motor movment problem. It is simply from trying to step, and the nerve pain just kinda' throws me off. You know, like when you step wrong, and hit one of the nasty spots. June

Re: For June on balance

Sharon W on 9/01/02 at 23:59 (094188)

June,

That describes me, too. It wasn't a motor nerve problem for me either; sharp pain can put you off balance, because it's a natural reaction to shift your weight away from the part of your foot that hurts.

Sharon

Cheri A on 9/02/02 at 13:19 (094237)

After the surgery, I was wheel-chaired out to the car, then I 'walked' 2 steps on crutches to the car. When I got home, a wheelchair (on loan) was brought out to the car, and I was wheeled into the house. From that time on, I depended mostly on the wheelchair to get around the house, but I also had crutches and a walker (also on loan). I was off work 10 weeks, and I was paid by workman's comp. I had one incision, about 8 inches long, that ran across the tarsal tunnel area, and a little above and below.
Can I be frank? Does your business own you, or do you own it? I ask this because for a time, it seemed my employer 'owned' me, and I worked long hours on my feet because I could not say no to them. Well, I learned a lot from that experience. The Lord had blessed me with a sit down position (a newly created position), a few months before I had the surgery. I give my employer the best work I can, but I will never again make the mistake of hurting myself to do so. In the overall picture of my life, it will be more important that I took care of me, than that I worked myself into mass of nerves, high blood pressure, and damaged feet.

Re: needles

Cheri A on 9/02/02 at 13:21 (094239)

Why don't you ask the doctor if they can put the IV in after you are 'out'?

JuneT on 9/02/02 at 14:11 (094248)

Cheri,
My goodness, what wonderful informatin. I was needing to know those things.Like I said before, the surgeon wanted to see me this week, but his 'over protective secretary' woundn't give me an appt til the 9th, but he will have the test info on his desk tomorrow, I will give him some time to call me, and if he doesn', I will be calling him. If the dr doing the nerve conduction test said he was going to make it emergency statice I will be bold enough to call him and ask what the state of the arts is, if I don't hear from him by afternoon.The sooner I know something concrete, such as dates, etc, I will know where to direct my energy,You asked if my busines owned me, or vice versa.I will probally be giving you more info than you were asking, but I will be honest.I have had serious medical problems in the past 6/7 years. As soon as I thnk I am up and runng with my businesses, some other health issue would nail me. I kept thinking as posative as I could, and would go get a nice size loan 'to keep the bills paid' thinking I would be ok soon, and I'd start feeling better then wham ! something new came down the pike. This went on and on. I just can't throw in the towel. I was young and healthy when I ventured what I am doing, so needless to say I put any 'insurances'off til later..then later, I got sick again. Soooo, not only do I WANT to work, I HAVE to work. I would never get out of it what I have borrwed against it, that is why I am soooo concerned about when I woud get back to work. Botom line..no insurance, and no help.......Your other question, I have asked in the past for them to knock me out before the IV, they say they can't..the IV is what puts me me to sleep. I am really fearful that I won't really be zapped. I recentley had 2 bad experiences when I was to be 'out' and I was not !!Both times the dr assured me I would not know a thing. WRONG!!!!!! June

Re: before and after surgery-to Cheri

Cheri A on 9/02/02 at 17:28 (094279)

I completly understand about having to work. I am in the same boat. Even though I have a sit-down job, it requires full attention but sometimes I am distracted by the pain in my feet. I am convinced that the anit-depressants are what keeps me sane!
About your 'potty' question - don't be embarrased! You can ask me anything about the logistics problems of being post-TTS surgery! Since I was not supposed to put any weight at all on my foot, I used a method of holding onto a walker (which had to go through the bathroom door sideways), and hopping on my 'good' foot. I was pretty suprised at what I could do once I had to find ways to do things. I have a teenage son who was just beginning to enjoy the freedom a driver's license offers, so he was more than happy to run to the store, or fast food place for me, so I had no worries there. He even cut a board that fit across the bathtub so I could sit on that and shower. I put a plastic bag around my bandaged foot and propped it up on the edge of the tub. It worked pretty well, but you need some kind of hand shower to make it work. There's always a way...

Cheri A on 8/31/02 at 22:10 (094101)

June, when I had TTS surgery, it was as an outpatient. I think it would be hard to say in advance what will happen. Everyone's experience varies.
For my own experience, I was more comfortable afterwards than I had expected. My foot was very well wrapped, and I kept it elevated as much as possible. I was given a prescription for pain medication, and I did use it, but the pain was not as bad as I had feared it would be. I don't believe I had the scrip refilled. I feel that you should press your doctor for information, for your own peace of mind.

Julie on 9/01/02 at 01:48 (094111)

Hello June

I am sorrry about your pain, but I'm glad you've found this website. Welcome - and I hope you do find your way back again!

I know very little about tarsal tunnel syndrome or the surgery for it apart from what I've been reading on these boards over the last two years, but there are people who know a great deal (Wendy, Sharon, Elliott, I hope you're reading) and I hope they will reply to you. But I really would urge you not to go ahead with surgery until you have sat down with your doctor, asked all your questions, and received answers to them that you can understand and accept. That he is 'too busy' to see and talk to you rings all kinds of warning bells - in my ears, anyway.

I have been reading these message boards for a long time, and one thing about tarsal tunnel surgery has stood out: it is apparently likely to be successful only if there is an identifiable mass in the tunnel that can be surgically removed. Have you had all the relevant tests that can establish this, and has it been established?

Now I'll shut up and let the TTS experts take over. I just got very worried by the thought of your going into surgery without being able totally to trust your doctor.

I hope you get your answers, and wish you all the best for your healing.

wendyn on 9/01/02 at 08:25 (094117)

June, if you do make it back to this site - please post another note so we know that you've found us again!!!

I think Julie is right with her concerns(and thanks for bringing this post up Julie, my time on the boards has been really limited lately).

Whether or not you're an outpatient, what type of meds you receive etc is really up to your doctor. If your doctor is too busy to explan things to you, then you need to find a different doctor.

You also need to spend some serious time here researching what other people have been through (especially with the surgery). Take your time making a decision.

What types of tests have you had done, and how long have you been having a problem?

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 12:41 (094136)

Cheri,
You were an 'out patient'. Hmmmm that has me wondering,'how the heck did you even get in your front door,when you came home??' That should prove to be interistig. I have tried cruches before, and can't use them, my back is too bad,and I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also have carpel tunnel. and we have a few steps to come in the front and back doors. Noone is gonna' carry me, that's for sure. I am always on steroids for my asthma, and it has caused a lot of weight gain, so 90 lbs. I am not! Please share, how many incisions do you all of you have and how long, and where, I can't find any pictures on ithat. How long were yo off work?? I work o my feet all day. That is something else that has me really stressd out, I own my own businesses, and of course the holiday time it the time of the year any money is made, and this could probally have been done over the summer if addressed sooner. Hope I don't sound self centered, I certianly don;t ,ean it that way, but my businesses can not survive the holidays with out me. On the other hand, if I don't get some relief, I will not survive the holidays.Many of the good surgons are so busy that they ave a look see, and have no time for questions. My dr sees 48/50 patients a day......but all say he's good. I have soooo many quetions, and fears. I have been living in a deep dark hole all alone. I have a wonderful supportave husband, but my stress has caused him to have high blood pressure.A while back I was a strong business woman here in town,now I am a total basket case, getting worse by the second .It's amazing what pain, and fear even ignorance can do to a person. June

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 13:04 (094138)

Julie,
Thank you for your warm welcome. Maybe since I have found you all, it may help maintain my sanity...one can hope.
As far as the identifiable mass. Are you talking on the outside where the eye can see? If you are,then no, I have no such mass.I have pain, and lots of it. So much pain that it has disrupted every area of my life. The only things I can do fairley comfortabley are sit, and lie down. No cooking, cleaning, laundry, work,playing with my little g.kids, no walikng at the grocery store. Nothing, and I am not able to live like this any longer.Thats why when the dr says 'cut'..I'll say 'how soon' . This leads me to anothe problem that has me terribly concerned, and I have been too embarrassed to mention it to you all, but what the heck. I need help, so I'm gonna' lay it all out, if anyone thinks I'm a kook, so be it. OK..I have an abnormal fear of IV needles. Shots are ok, because I can hold my breath that long. But this thing with IV needles is a very real phobia, just as real as the key board I am using to tell you about it.Our pre operating room has bunches of people lined up with a curtain between them, as they wait their surgery. You see the people beig wheeled back and forth constantly with the IV. WhenI see it, I think I am going to suffocate.Please don't think me a baby, or a whimp, it is so real, and I am afraid I will bolt even bere the surgery would begin.Guess I need to be 'knocked out' before I get 'knocked out'. Is anyone thinking I am crazy yet? I now how it sounds, but I have always been like that.I better get out of here, and hope you can think of some advice for me. Thank you, June

Julie on 9/01/02 at 13:36 (094140)

June - glad you found your way back.

Nobody is going to think you a baby or a wimp because you have a fear of needles. Lots of people do: it's not especially unusual. The important thing is that you tell the doctor who is going to do your surgery about it. Schedule an appointment with him so that you can go through all your questions, and be open about your fears.

In this and any other stressful situation, don't hold your breath. Try to breathe naturally and evenly, and focus especially on breathing out. That will help you to relax.

The 'identifiable mass' I mentioned isn't outside, it's in the tarsal tunnel itself (or not, as the case may be). No, it's not something you can see - as far as I know. But I'd rather let the experts here tell you more about that. You said in your post to Sharon that you've had an MRI - what did it reveal?

Re: June - PS

Julie on 9/01/02 at 13:37 (094141)

Check out Wendy's FAQ - there's a link at the top of the Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome board.

Re: To June-Wendyn

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 13:41 (094143)

Wendyn,
You are right, I should do research on what others have been through with this surgery. I have been looking for as much as I can but only have I found 1 pesonal story/reference, as to what anyone went through,and it was Scott, it was his web site that led me here to you. I can find no oter personal information, tips, advice, or statictics as to the outcome I am just getting an impression that recovery is loooong, and painful, that is somethng that I NEED to know, my health is important, but it also the survival of my busneses over the holidays DEPENDS on it.I need a really GOOD and honest idea of what to expect. If I have a clue, I can begin to prepare for it NOW, rather than not be able to deal with it later. My surgeon is of the mind that you are back to work in 2, possibly 3 weeks weeks, and I pretty much think that must be a joke espically since I work on my feet. Is 2/3 weeks realistic? How long was everyone else off ? My husband recently had carpel,tunnel surgery, and works with his hands, they said he might be going back in 5 days. NOT !.
My tests... MRI a whle back, this week I had the EMG The pain..the botto of my heel, going toward the arch, and up the back of the heal. I loose balance when standing up after sitting a bit, I balance myself on the ball of the foot, putting and weight on the heel is far too paiful, it feels like stepping on broken glass sometimes, and walking on needles other times, a sensation of hundreds of bee stings all aroud the heel area, and starting up the sides of the heel .Some times it feels like the nerves are having a powerr drill run in them, also elec. shocks, and sometimes it is like the nerves are crawling all up into a ball, when that happens, I just kind of rock back and forth til things feel like they are flatening enough so I don't fall. I am scared to death of falling since I have high risk osterpoosis in my hips. I have no desire to use a cane, but am amazed that no dr has ordered one. A few days ago all the burners were preheating on the stove, I lost my balance, and almost went face fist on the lit burners, just caught myself in time.There are a few spots the size of a dime on my heel if you press, I'd go through the roof.I sort of drag my foot along. This started a few years ago, but in the past few months has gotten unbearable. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone. I am sooo eager for any imput anyone has to offer, and for that, I thank you, June

Re: To Wendy from June

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 15:06 (094147)

Wendy,
I was recommended to check out your questios and answers. It was WONDEFUL! I am a bit mixd up because I have web tv, and I think you are all on puter, that sometimes is different, so I need a day or 2 to figure ot what I'm doing.I was talking about finding something written by Scott, now I guess it s Steve, and you have done a web site togeather. I was amazedat how famalier many things sounded.I need to add some more medical info to what I have posted.I have no pain in or around my ankles, or toes, almost everything else rang true, except 1 other. I have no 'shock' from tapping the tinsel's sign any where near the ankle, but if I tap the bottom of the heel, I get a sensation in my toes, not pain, just a bit tingley.If on occassion I retain fluid, I feel more pain, I thought I was crazy, but something you said, gave me an indication, that it actually made sense. Someone asked the result of my MRI MRI results ..deterioated fat pad. The surgon feels that it would not be cause for th extreme pain I am having,that also led to the Tarsal Tunnel dx. June

wendyn on 9/01/02 at 20:48 (094173)

June, acutally Steve has a website devoted to TTS. Scott runs this website (where the bulletin board is). They each have a link to each other's website.

June, have you had blood work done? And do you know what the results of your nerve conduction test are? One more question - have you seen a neurologist through all of this, and oh - one more....do you have symptoms anywhere other than your feet?

wendyn on 9/01/02 at 20:53 (094174)

June, there are those of us here who have phobias of elevators, and airplanes, and confined spaces...you name it!!!!

If it really does come down to surgery, some surgeons will give you something like a valium pre-op. You could probably have it before the IV.

But honestly, I think it's to early to consider surgery yet.

Your comments about losing your balance worry me, and that they didn't seem to find anything on the MRI. TTS surgery seems to be most successful when there is something actually in the tunnel that they are going in there to remove (like a cyst or a varicose vein).

wendyn on 9/01/02 at 20:55 (094175)

Sorry June, I sometimes read all of the posts in reverse - and I keep finding things to mention.

If you have not had done yet - you MUST HAVE a blood test for the following:

diabetes
thyroid level
B12
rheumatoid arthritis
lupus

Most doctors WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT operate on you unless everything else has been ruled out.

Have you had these done?

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 22:18 (094181)

Wendy,
I had all those tests from my Neurologist 2 or 3 times. All was well. My goodness, how do you know all this, and have such wonderful information??? Thank you, again. I keep checking for any new info on the board. I have never been so desperate for imput as I am now, there just isn't a lot of informatioon out there.How long were all of you 'out of the ball game' after surgery? I read in Steves story that he could nothing ...absolutely nothing for days. I'll hide my red face as I ask, can you go to the bathroom???????
How were potty calls handeled the first few days???? June

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 22:44 (094183)

I have had blood work done off and on. The neuro was always checking my sugar, it was so great everyone would want my numbers. I think it was 6 or 8 weeks since last checked.I have no 'formal' results of my nerve conduction study. The surgeon will have them Tue. The Dr. giving the test made strong indications that there was a serious problem, because he is the one that said his recommendations would be on an emergency level, and seemed quite concerned during the test. I have seen a neruologist for years, it started with my back. He is the one that gave me my nerve blocks all the time usually they got my back sooo flared up that I'd spend days in bed. No, I don't really have symptoms any place other than my foot, but the foot problem has totaly disabled me lately. BUT once in a while I get a nerve type pain going up the inside of my calf, but it doesn't bother me much, and once in a while I get electric shock nerve pain in the knee joint area. That area hurts, but only lasts second then may not come back for a days.Why do you ask, what are your thoughts?? My Neuro always said this was Neuropathy, but the Surgeon said during my exam 'woooah, there's a lot more going on than neuropathy!!' What is really frusterating Wendy, is that they don't ask enough questions, or if they do ask they don't give you enough time to answer thouroughly. In your few posts you have asked me more questions than either of my doctors have in the past. That is why this has been going on so long. Seems that there s something wrong with this picture,. But in defense of the surgeon, he has a wonderful reputation,that why he's soo busy.I will definately stick with him, unless he hands me off to yet another doctor. It has been an endless cycle.
June

JuneT on 9/01/02 at 22:50 (094185)

Wendy, The loosing of e balance is not a motor movment problem. It is simply from trying to step, and the nerve pain just kinda' throws me off. You know, like when you step wrong, and hit one of the nasty spots. June

Re: For June on balance

Sharon W on 9/01/02 at 23:59 (094188)

June,

That describes me, too. It wasn't a motor nerve problem for me either; sharp pain can put you off balance, because it's a natural reaction to shift your weight away from the part of your foot that hurts.

Sharon

Cheri A on 9/02/02 at 13:19 (094237)

After the surgery, I was wheel-chaired out to the car, then I 'walked' 2 steps on crutches to the car. When I got home, a wheelchair (on loan) was brought out to the car, and I was wheeled into the house. From that time on, I depended mostly on the wheelchair to get around the house, but I also had crutches and a walker (also on loan). I was off work 10 weeks, and I was paid by workman's comp. I had one incision, about 8 inches long, that ran across the tarsal tunnel area, and a little above and below.
Can I be frank? Does your business own you, or do you own it? I ask this because for a time, it seemed my employer 'owned' me, and I worked long hours on my feet because I could not say no to them. Well, I learned a lot from that experience. The Lord had blessed me with a sit down position (a newly created position), a few months before I had the surgery. I give my employer the best work I can, but I will never again make the mistake of hurting myself to do so. In the overall picture of my life, it will be more important that I took care of me, than that I worked myself into mass of nerves, high blood pressure, and damaged feet.

Re: needles

Cheri A on 9/02/02 at 13:21 (094239)

Why don't you ask the doctor if they can put the IV in after you are 'out'?

JuneT on 9/02/02 at 14:11 (094248)

Cheri,
My goodness, what wonderful informatin. I was needing to know those things.Like I said before, the surgeon wanted to see me this week, but his 'over protective secretary' woundn't give me an appt til the 9th, but he will have the test info on his desk tomorrow, I will give him some time to call me, and if he doesn', I will be calling him. If the dr doing the nerve conduction test said he was going to make it emergency statice I will be bold enough to call him and ask what the state of the arts is, if I don't hear from him by afternoon.The sooner I know something concrete, such as dates, etc, I will know where to direct my energy,You asked if my busines owned me, or vice versa.I will probally be giving you more info than you were asking, but I will be honest.I have had serious medical problems in the past 6/7 years. As soon as I thnk I am up and runng with my businesses, some other health issue would nail me. I kept thinking as posative as I could, and would go get a nice size loan 'to keep the bills paid' thinking I would be ok soon, and I'd start feeling better then wham ! something new came down the pike. This went on and on. I just can't throw in the towel. I was young and healthy when I ventured what I am doing, so needless to say I put any 'insurances'off til later..then later, I got sick again. Soooo, not only do I WANT to work, I HAVE to work. I would never get out of it what I have borrwed against it, that is why I am soooo concerned about when I woud get back to work. Botom line..no insurance, and no help.......Your other question, I have asked in the past for them to knock me out before the IV, they say they can't..the IV is what puts me me to sleep. I am really fearful that I won't really be zapped. I recentley had 2 bad experiences when I was to be 'out' and I was not !!Both times the dr assured me I would not know a thing. WRONG!!!!!! June

Re: before and after surgery-to Cheri

Cheri A on 9/02/02 at 17:28 (094279)

I completly understand about having to work. I am in the same boat. Even though I have a sit-down job, it requires full attention but sometimes I am distracted by the pain in my feet. I am convinced that the anit-depressants are what keeps me sane!
About your 'potty' question - don't be embarrased! You can ask me anything about the logistics problems of being post-TTS surgery! Since I was not supposed to put any weight at all on my foot, I used a method of holding onto a walker (which had to go through the bathroom door sideways), and hopping on my 'good' foot. I was pretty suprised at what I could do once I had to find ways to do things. I have a teenage son who was just beginning to enjoy the freedom a driver's license offers, so he was more than happy to run to the store, or fast food place for me, so I had no worries there. He even cut a board that fit across the bathtub so I could sit on that and shower. I put a plastic bag around my bandaged foot and propped it up on the edge of the tub. It worked pretty well, but you need some kind of hand shower to make it work. There's always a way...