Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT, success stories

Posted by Cary S on 8/31/02 at 21:16 (094099)

We hear a lot about the benefits of ESWT. I am interested to hear from any individuals who have had the procedure, and are happy with the results. Also anyone who has been dissapointed.

Re: ESWT, success stories

Mar on 9/01/02 at 09:35 (094119)

Yes, I am interested also. I have had two treatments so far and am still hoping and waiting. I suspect the success stories no longer visit this site as they are busy 'doing' things!! But if anyone is out there -- please share your story -- thanks -- Mar

Cary S on 9/01/02 at 10:01 (094123)

Mar: How recently did you have the procedures?? Any relief at all?? Did your insurance pay?? Please tell us what it was like, were you able to walk right ater, etc. Thanks, C.

Re: Cary S

Pete on 9/01/02 at 12:23 (094134)

I've had 2 ESWT treatments, the last one 7 weeks ago and unfortunately have had no relief. During the first 10 days the pain was worse but gradually improved until it was back to the pre ESWT level. I live in England so my insurance didn't pay.

Give it a go you have nothing to lose. According to the Doc's there are no down sides.

Good luck

Mar on 9/01/02 at 13:54 (094144)

Cary -

I had the first ESWT on May 22. The first 2 days were very painful/sore; after a few days the pain returned to its previous level. After about 4 weeks there was some reduction in pain for about a week and then that ended also. I had the second ESWT on August 14. This time the pain was only intensified for 1 day and then returned to its previous level. I see the doctor on tuesday. So now I am trying to remain hopeful that this one will do the trick. They say most people don;t feel relief until 6 weeks, so I am trying to be patient. My doctor claims a 92% success rate; I'd hate to think that I am in the 8%!

My insurance company at the time of the ESWT was CIGNA. So far they have not paid, but my claim is still under review, so i am trying to remain hopeful there too! Now that my employer has dropped CIGNA and switched to another, I don;t imagine that they are going to give me top priority!

So - I am not yet a successs story, but sure hope to be one and I promise to return to this site to share it when it happens! Mar

Pauline on 9/02/02 at 22:50 (094314)

Cary,
I don't think your alone in wanting to hear success stories. If people posted here prior to their ESWT treatment and were helped I personally think most of them would return to tell of their success. They spent too much time on Scott's web site getting information, meeting people and informing us of their treatment dates not to return with good news.

Most of the more recent postings, those within the last year haven't been all that encouraging. Those posting seem to have had very little result from their treatment, some none at all. Others have stated they are starting on their second round again hoping for better results. This is certainly disappointing.

I think it's interesting to compare various medical abstracts and articles that get published in medical journals. I try to understand why a researcher doing a study comes to the conclusion that his particular study was a success when the results in my mind don't seem that successful.

I'm talking about studies in an area of medicine that holds a particular interested for me. I read many articles and often ask myself how can that study publish a good success rate when a death might have occured, or several people had to be hospitalized for complications following the procedure. It seems regardless of some of these things occuring the researchers still conclude the surgery, or treatment was a success and I wonder why.

Maybe successes are measured by those people paying the bill for the study and the amount of money it will bring in. I truly wonder after reading some of these articles what criteria was used to come to the conclusions that were reached. Maybe others are too.

JudyS on 9/03/02 at 09:35 (094339)

Pauline, Cary, I think I posted here a few weeks ago that I'm very certain that my 2 ESWT treatments were of great benefit to me. And I'm one of those chronic sufferers who spent time crawling from room to room and couldn't stand in one place for more than a minute or two. I had PF for about 2.5 years before I had my first ESWT treatment.
I think I also said at that time that it's not a secret here that ESWT should be combined with further, extra care for the duration of the healing - if not for a lifetime. It's also been said more than once that it can take several months to really experience relief - and the relief comes in tiny increments over time - it's not an overnighter.
Correct me if I'm wrong - the ESWT is not necessarily the actual healer, if you will, rather it provides an avenue for the body to heal itself by alleviating restrictive scarring along the Plantar. If the restriction is reduced, then blood flow can resume properly and help to heal the inflammation. I think too, unless I'm wrong, that the ESWT actually creates an inflammation of it's own in order to shock the body into increasing that blood flow. Of course soreness will seem increased for a few days-ESWT is not a 'soft glove' of treatment - those jolts are tough! But none of that will matter if the patient doesn't follow up with consistent post-treatment care with good footwear, icing, stretching and no hard use.
I don't know where the ESWT 'success stories' in North America are - but remember, those of us on this website who were treated are in an extremely tiny minority. There are many machines out there now with increasing usage so I wonder if it's safe to assume that the success stories are those who never posted here anyway. I don't know, and maybe ESWT is just another bottle of snake oil, but I do know that I'm at least able to be on my feet for a couple of days' worth of work these days. The only thing I can't do regularly is run and that's more because I've gotten pretty cautious about trying.

Pete on 9/03/02 at 13:46 (094356)

its heartening to see a success story. Hopefully I'll join you soon !

Dr. Z on 9/03/02 at 22:19 (094410)

Pauline,

There is some truth to what you have said, however alot of people leaving or reduct their time on this site. The only way we can really communicate with the healed patients is to go back to the section where patients postered their experience with ESWT. This would help to track our sucess- failure. Scott did a great job with that section

Mar on 9/01/02 at 09:35 (094119)

Yes, I am interested also. I have had two treatments so far and am still hoping and waiting. I suspect the success stories no longer visit this site as they are busy 'doing' things!! But if anyone is out there -- please share your story -- thanks -- Mar

Cary S on 9/01/02 at 10:01 (094123)

Mar: How recently did you have the procedures?? Any relief at all?? Did your insurance pay?? Please tell us what it was like, were you able to walk right ater, etc. Thanks, C.

Re: Cary S

Pete on 9/01/02 at 12:23 (094134)

I've had 2 ESWT treatments, the last one 7 weeks ago and unfortunately have had no relief. During the first 10 days the pain was worse but gradually improved until it was back to the pre ESWT level. I live in England so my insurance didn't pay.

Give it a go you have nothing to lose. According to the Doc's there are no down sides.

Good luck

Mar on 9/01/02 at 13:54 (094144)

Cary -

I had the first ESWT on May 22. The first 2 days were very painful/sore; after a few days the pain returned to its previous level. After about 4 weeks there was some reduction in pain for about a week and then that ended also. I had the second ESWT on August 14. This time the pain was only intensified for 1 day and then returned to its previous level. I see the doctor on tuesday. So now I am trying to remain hopeful that this one will do the trick. They say most people don;t feel relief until 6 weeks, so I am trying to be patient. My doctor claims a 92% success rate; I'd hate to think that I am in the 8%!

My insurance company at the time of the ESWT was CIGNA. So far they have not paid, but my claim is still under review, so i am trying to remain hopeful there too! Now that my employer has dropped CIGNA and switched to another, I don;t imagine that they are going to give me top priority!

So - I am not yet a successs story, but sure hope to be one and I promise to return to this site to share it when it happens! Mar

Pauline on 9/02/02 at 22:50 (094314)

Cary,
I don't think your alone in wanting to hear success stories. If people posted here prior to their ESWT treatment and were helped I personally think most of them would return to tell of their success. They spent too much time on Scott's web site getting information, meeting people and informing us of their treatment dates not to return with good news.

Most of the more recent postings, those within the last year haven't been all that encouraging. Those posting seem to have had very little result from their treatment, some none at all. Others have stated they are starting on their second round again hoping for better results. This is certainly disappointing.

I think it's interesting to compare various medical abstracts and articles that get published in medical journals. I try to understand why a researcher doing a study comes to the conclusion that his particular study was a success when the results in my mind don't seem that successful.

I'm talking about studies in an area of medicine that holds a particular interested for me. I read many articles and often ask myself how can that study publish a good success rate when a death might have occured, or several people had to be hospitalized for complications following the procedure. It seems regardless of some of these things occuring the researchers still conclude the surgery, or treatment was a success and I wonder why.

Maybe successes are measured by those people paying the bill for the study and the amount of money it will bring in. I truly wonder after reading some of these articles what criteria was used to come to the conclusions that were reached. Maybe others are too.

JudyS on 9/03/02 at 09:35 (094339)

Pauline, Cary, I think I posted here a few weeks ago that I'm very certain that my 2 ESWT treatments were of great benefit to me. And I'm one of those chronic sufferers who spent time crawling from room to room and couldn't stand in one place for more than a minute or two. I had PF for about 2.5 years before I had my first ESWT treatment.
I think I also said at that time that it's not a secret here that ESWT should be combined with further, extra care for the duration of the healing - if not for a lifetime. It's also been said more than once that it can take several months to really experience relief - and the relief comes in tiny increments over time - it's not an overnighter.
Correct me if I'm wrong - the ESWT is not necessarily the actual healer, if you will, rather it provides an avenue for the body to heal itself by alleviating restrictive scarring along the Plantar. If the restriction is reduced, then blood flow can resume properly and help to heal the inflammation. I think too, unless I'm wrong, that the ESWT actually creates an inflammation of it's own in order to shock the body into increasing that blood flow. Of course soreness will seem increased for a few days-ESWT is not a 'soft glove' of treatment - those jolts are tough! But none of that will matter if the patient doesn't follow up with consistent post-treatment care with good footwear, icing, stretching and no hard use.
I don't know where the ESWT 'success stories' in North America are - but remember, those of us on this website who were treated are in an extremely tiny minority. There are many machines out there now with increasing usage so I wonder if it's safe to assume that the success stories are those who never posted here anyway. I don't know, and maybe ESWT is just another bottle of snake oil, but I do know that I'm at least able to be on my feet for a couple of days' worth of work these days. The only thing I can't do regularly is run and that's more because I've gotten pretty cautious about trying.

Pete on 9/03/02 at 13:46 (094356)

its heartening to see a success story. Hopefully I'll join you soon !

Dr. Z on 9/03/02 at 22:19 (094410)

Pauline,

There is some truth to what you have said, however alot of people leaving or reduct their time on this site. The only way we can really communicate with the healed patients is to go back to the section where patients postered their experience with ESWT. This would help to track our sucess- failure. Scott did a great job with that section