Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am in more pain 3 mo. after surgery for PF than before.

Posted by Elizabeth H on 8/31/02 at 21:30 (094100)

I had 2 bone spurs removed from my left foot. One on the back of my heel and one on the bottom of heel. It feels like my ligaments were tightened too much. Especially the one at the small of my ankle in the back. I have been doing streaching exercises and it is not getting any better. I can barely get through the grocery store and I have to elevate it a lot still. My doc is trying to get my insurance to anti up for a Silver Thera Stocking. It hurts to bend my ankle, even sitting. It has been 3 months since surgery. Am I rushing things?
Thanks

Re: Am in more pain 3 mo. after surgery for PF than before.

Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 18:47 (094155)

Hi

This is major reconstructive foot ankle surgery that you have just gone thru. Six months to one year is the healing time frame. Physical Therapy by a professional may be the answer. What does your treating doctor think about sending you to a physical Therapist.?. NSAID could help you . Rest if you have pain. No long periods of standing or walking at this point. The physical Therapist/ tincture of time would by my choice !

Mary K. on 9/02/02 at 08:43 (094201)

Hi Elizabeth. I wanted to respond to your message. I had P.F surgery in 98. 2 weeks after surgery when my doctor saw a slow recovery he sent me in for physical therapy right away. It does hurt to do this, but I recovered in 8 weeks. Of course check with insurance about this. Maybe see another doctor if you possible can. I don't think a stocking is going to help since it's already been 3 months. Good Luck!

Re: Am thinking about surgery, does anyone recommend it?n before.

JUDY M on 9/03/02 at 12:32 (094352)

I am in constant pain from pf. doctor wants to do surgery. Does anyone recommend it? Approximately how long is recovery time.

Mary K. on 9/03/02 at 17:19 (094381)

Hi judy, It's hard to make a decision about p.f. surgery. I did it because I couldn't stand the pain anymore and I knew I had a realy good doctor. If your doctor has tried all conservative treatments like p.t., special exercise equipment, immobilizing, injections and medication, and all these methods have failed maybe its time to consider the option. Recovery time is different for everyone. I recovered slowly until I went to p.t. My best guess would be at least 6 to 8 weeks depending upon age and general health. Good luck.

Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 18:47 (094155)

Hi

This is major reconstructive foot ankle surgery that you have just gone thru. Six months to one year is the healing time frame. Physical Therapy by a professional may be the answer. What does your treating doctor think about sending you to a physical Therapist.?. NSAID could help you . Rest if you have pain. No long periods of standing or walking at this point. The physical Therapist/ tincture of time would by my choice !

Mary K. on 9/02/02 at 08:43 (094201)

Hi Elizabeth. I wanted to respond to your message. I had P.F surgery in 98. 2 weeks after surgery when my doctor saw a slow recovery he sent me in for physical therapy right away. It does hurt to do this, but I recovered in 8 weeks. Of course check with insurance about this. Maybe see another doctor if you possible can. I don't think a stocking is going to help since it's already been 3 months. Good Luck!

JUDY M on 9/03/02 at 12:32 (094352)

I am in constant pain from pf. doctor wants to do surgery. Does anyone recommend it? Approximately how long is recovery time.

Mary K. on 9/03/02 at 17:19 (094381)

Hi judy, It's hard to make a decision about p.f. surgery. I did it because I couldn't stand the pain anymore and I knew I had a realy good doctor. If your doctor has tried all conservative treatments like p.t., special exercise equipment, immobilizing, injections and medication, and all these methods have failed maybe its time to consider the option. Recovery time is different for everyone. I recovered slowly until I went to p.t. My best guess would be at least 6 to 8 weeks depending upon age and general health. Good luck.