Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle tendenitis and heal spur

Posted by Mary L on 8/31/02 at 23:32 (094109)

I have been experiencing a slightly swollen ankle and painful heal for some weeks. I went to my primary care physician who diagnosed, via X-Ray, a heal spur. He referred me to an orthopedist who confirmed the original diagnosis. In addition, he said that I also have tendenitis in the ankle and that my present condition is probably the result of some previous ankle injury. He recommended Advil for pain and either therapy or a cast.
My choice.

Question 1: Which treatment has the highest probablity of a good outcome?
Question 2: Two Advil doe not alleviate the pain. I'm miserable. Are there any other home remedies that would be helpful? Thanks

Re: ankle tendenitis and heal spur

Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 10:15 (094124)

This is a tough question to answer. It depends on the degree of injury and the relationship of the tendonitis to the heel spur. First go back and get a real NSAID not just adavil. Physical Therapy can help you if it is just imflamation but so could medication such as vioxx, celebrex, and or motrin in the correct dosage. Rest is also important. If also sounds like the two doctors think this is routine and will go away. I am not sure without a hands on examination. I hope that this is helfup to you

Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 10:15 (094124)

This is a tough question to answer. It depends on the degree of injury and the relationship of the tendonitis to the heel spur. First go back and get a real NSAID not just adavil. Physical Therapy can help you if it is just imflamation but so could medication such as vioxx, celebrex, and or motrin in the correct dosage. Rest is also important. If also sounds like the two doctors think this is routine and will go away. I am not sure without a hands on examination. I hope that this is helfup to you

Tricia on 6/30/08 at 08:25 (248125)

My mom and I have worked in the spa buisness for years. she has been a well known massage therapist for 13 years. A friend that is also a therapist said she had for many years , terrible heel spurs. Her cure was to , take a hammer and tap as hard as you can stand it , without injuring yourself. It may sound rediculoud but it worked. I was pregnant and hurt my foot . I tried this after having terrible heel spurs for a year . It helped .A Lot