Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

broken toe

Posted by Jan G on 9/01/02 at 13:17 (094139)

Hi, I broke my little toe. (diagnosed by myself. Almost the entire foot turned balck and blue. I've iced it for days, taped the adjacent toe to the broken toe with gaze between, kept it elevated and used crutches. Im presently on one crutch. Question. Should I get one of those special shoes from my podiatrist? I'm concerned my sandals aren't giving me the proper support and they seem to cut right below the broken toe.

Re: broken toe

Mar on 9/01/02 at 14:00 (094145)

Well, I broke both my little toes. the first one 8 years ago -- did not wear a special shoe -- healed perfectly. The other one I broke 2 years ago -- wore a hard-soled surgicalshoe and after 2 weeks in the shoe, the entire ball of my foot and bunion were inflammed and extremely painful. This led me on a path that I have regretted since -- I had bunion surgery which never healed right and now PF in both feet. So my recommendation -- get rid of the sandals and get a soft soled shoe, even if you have to cut out the toe area. Just my opinion from experience. Also, now you should be doing warm soaks a few times a day to heal it. Mar

Re: broken toe

Mar on 9/01/02 at 14:00 (094145)

Well, I broke both my little toes. the first one 8 years ago -- did not wear a special shoe -- healed perfectly. The other one I broke 2 years ago -- wore a hard-soled surgicalshoe and after 2 weeks in the shoe, the entire ball of my foot and bunion were inflammed and extremely painful. This led me on a path that I have regretted since -- I had bunion surgery which never healed right and now PF in both feet. So my recommendation -- get rid of the sandals and get a soft soled shoe, even if you have to cut out the toe area. Just my opinion from experience. Also, now you should be doing warm soaks a few times a day to heal it. Mar