Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How soon should running shoes be replaced?

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 9/01/02 at 19:55 (094165)

I have a great pair of New Balance 991 running shoes that I've been wearing between ten hours a day minimum, to every waking hour, for the past three months or so. They are a supportive cushioning shoe and after a long and expensive search they became my 'shoe of choice'.

Three months isn't long, but then I've been wearing them all day most of the time, and plus I'm a heavy person. Is it time for them to be replaced? How can I tell?

(They don't feel quite as good as they used to feel, but then I've been overdoing it a lot lately too. So, that might explain it.)

Carole C

Re: How soon should running shoes be replaced?

Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 23:40 (094187)

If you are a runner three months is about the time to get a new pair. You do alot of time on your feet. I would get two pair and rotate between the two.

Julie on 9/02/02 at 03:13 (094189)

Carole, until Saturday I'd been wearing my North Face Targas (a walking, not a running shoe) for several months - I'm not sure how many, but more than six, including a two-week stint in Crete where I did a good bit of rough-ground hill walking, and 10 days hard graft on the punishing pavements of Paris. In between I wasn't wearing them as consistently as you've been wearing your NBs - I'm home a lot, and in my Birkenstocks - but the total wearing time over the period was probably similar to yours. I knew the tread was wearing down, and the heels had been showing increasingly uneven wear for several weeks, but they were still so comfortable that I put off starting a new pair.

A few days ago I began to notice a slight twinge in my left heel (my PF was in my right). Uh oh. So I decided it was time to start a new pair, and did. The twinge has disappeared. Touch wood. I'm pretty sure that I just waited a little too long to jettison the old pair.

I have one more new pair of Targas in my closet - the last of the 'stock' of three I bought a year or so ago. I think I'll take Dr Z's advice and start it off now as well, and alternate the two pairs.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 07:19 (094191)

Thanks, Dr. Z. I'm not really a runner, but I like the shoes just for daily wear. You are right that I do a lot of time on my feet, and these New Balance shoes are just what my feet seem to want.

I like your idea of getting two pairs. It would also let me compare the feel of my old pair to the feel of a new pair.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 07:34 (094192)

Thanks, Julie. It sounds like it's about time for me to start searching for a good price on NB 991's.

I'm glad you have some more Targas in your closet! That's great and it's smart to have an extra pair or two. You are also smart not to have too many pairs stashed away. I did that once, before PF. I bought four pairs of my favorite Clark's sandal at 1/3 the usual price when a shoe store went out of business. I did not alternate and wore each pair for a couple of years before throwing them out and going to the next pair. However, I had to throw away the last pair after wearing them one day because the sole, which was some sort of synthetic material, had deteriorated. It was cracking and breaking, and no longer flexible.

I hope you don't have any more symptoms in your left heel! Thanks for the input.

Carole C

Julie on 9/02/02 at 16:34 (094268)

You're right, Carole. I've done that too. In fact, I've done worse. I stocked up on several pairs of Adidas shoes that were really too small for me, and ended up - having realised - having to get rid of two of them Pairs, that is, not shoes.

I'm always stocking up on things I like, afraid they'll go out of production. Sometimes I end up not liking them any more before I've gone through them. Oh well.

Re: stocking up

elliott on 9/03/02 at 14:50 (094358)

A while back, I bought 14 pairs of my favorite running shoe, the Asics 2020, on discount after it was discontinued. But with 6 pair to go, my feet gave out and I was no longer able to run. So in short, what I'm saying is, I outsmarted myself. Fortunately, I found someone on a running site who bought them from me at further discount. He was happy at his good fortune, and I was happy to minimize my loss.

-----

Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 23:40 (094187)

If you are a runner three months is about the time to get a new pair. You do alot of time on your feet. I would get two pair and rotate between the two.

Julie on 9/02/02 at 03:13 (094189)

Carole, until Saturday I'd been wearing my North Face Targas (a walking, not a running shoe) for several months - I'm not sure how many, but more than six, including a two-week stint in Crete where I did a good bit of rough-ground hill walking, and 10 days hard graft on the punishing pavements of Paris. In between I wasn't wearing them as consistently as you've been wearing your NBs - I'm home a lot, and in my Birkenstocks - but the total wearing time over the period was probably similar to yours. I knew the tread was wearing down, and the heels had been showing increasingly uneven wear for several weeks, but they were still so comfortable that I put off starting a new pair.

A few days ago I began to notice a slight twinge in my left heel (my PF was in my right). Uh oh. So I decided it was time to start a new pair, and did. The twinge has disappeared. Touch wood. I'm pretty sure that I just waited a little too long to jettison the old pair.

I have one more new pair of Targas in my closet - the last of the 'stock' of three I bought a year or so ago. I think I'll take Dr Z's advice and start it off now as well, and alternate the two pairs.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 07:19 (094191)

Thanks, Dr. Z. I'm not really a runner, but I like the shoes just for daily wear. You are right that I do a lot of time on my feet, and these New Balance shoes are just what my feet seem to want.

I like your idea of getting two pairs. It would also let me compare the feel of my old pair to the feel of a new pair.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 07:34 (094192)

Thanks, Julie. It sounds like it's about time for me to start searching for a good price on NB 991's.

I'm glad you have some more Targas in your closet! That's great and it's smart to have an extra pair or two. You are also smart not to have too many pairs stashed away. I did that once, before PF. I bought four pairs of my favorite Clark's sandal at 1/3 the usual price when a shoe store went out of business. I did not alternate and wore each pair for a couple of years before throwing them out and going to the next pair. However, I had to throw away the last pair after wearing them one day because the sole, which was some sort of synthetic material, had deteriorated. It was cracking and breaking, and no longer flexible.

I hope you don't have any more symptoms in your left heel! Thanks for the input.

Carole C

Julie on 9/02/02 at 16:34 (094268)

You're right, Carole. I've done that too. In fact, I've done worse. I stocked up on several pairs of Adidas shoes that were really too small for me, and ended up - having realised - having to get rid of two of them Pairs, that is, not shoes.

I'm always stocking up on things I like, afraid they'll go out of production. Sometimes I end up not liking them any more before I've gone through them. Oh well.

Re: stocking up

elliott on 9/03/02 at 14:50 (094358)

A while back, I bought 14 pairs of my favorite running shoe, the Asics 2020, on discount after it was discontinued. But with 6 pair to go, my feet gave out and I was no longer able to run. So in short, what I'm saying is, I outsmarted myself. Fortunately, I found someone on a running site who bought them from me at further discount. He was happy at his good fortune, and I was happy to minimize my loss.

-----