Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Loking for a sneaker

Posted by Momika on 9/01/02 at 22:41 (094182)

I have PF and high arches and have found that if I wear a shoe with a good arch support I do much better than with my custom orthotics.

I've been doing very well with Dansko clogs and Waling Company 'Sushi' sandals that support my arches, but really would like to find a sneaker or other sporty type of shoe that will support my high arch.
I've put away my orthotics except for when I need to wear a sneaker, but would like to get rid of them permanently.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Monika

Re: running shoes

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 08:10 (094197)

How about a New Balance running shoe? They don't have an orthotic footbed, but lot of people here like them. Running shoes are sometimes preferred for PF because of the construction. If you go to the New Balance website, at http://www.newbalance.com , it will tell you which models of New Balance running shoes are 'cushioning' and 'supportive cushioning', and these are supposed to be best for people with high arches.

It's really important which model you get, so you'll probably want to read about them on the website. Also, you might want to try on at least one with a PF-1 last and one with a PF-2 last, to see which fits your foot better. I bought a pair of 879's with the PF-2 last, but they never seemed to fit well. Then I bought the 991's with the PF-1 last, and they are working out quite well for me.

Other brands that are popular here are Adidas, Asic, and Brooks.

A lot of people agree with me that Nike's are NOT good for PF. I bought some that are sitting in my closet, almost never worn.

Carole C

Momika on 9/02/02 at 20:23 (094293)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I *gotta* have that arch suport. My PF doesn't bother me as long as I have that arch held up. If I wear something without the arch - OUCH!

Thanks,
Monika

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 20:52 (094301)

It's probably too early for you to be wearing a running shoe without orthotics, then. Believe me, I understand! In a few months you might be able to do that.

Carole C

Momika on 9/02/02 at 20:59 (094302)

Oh, but I haven't worn my orthotics in over a year thanks to the Danskos and the sandals (I also have some generic brand sport sandals that have an arch). I do fine as long as I have arch support, but without it I'm in pain. I have LESS pain with the Danskos and sandals than I do with my orthotics, so I want to give up with orthotics and find the right shoes.

I only wish I would could find something more sporty for the winter (when I can't wear my sandals any more).

Monika

Carole C in NOLA on 9/03/02 at 06:50 (094321)

Momika, I wish you the best of luck in finding a running shoe with an orthotic footbed like your Dansko's.

Carole C

Re: anyone familiar with Vasque?

Momika on 9/03/02 at 21:18 (094403)

They have some nice looking sporty shoes and they claim contoured footbed and arch support?

Monika

Re: Loking for a sneaker

Mark on 9/05/02 at 01:28 (094499)

As a certified orthotis, I have been fabricating foot orthoses and fitting/modifying shoes for nearly 25 years. I also have been wearing custom insoles for at least 30 years. I do not wear them all the time, just in certain shoes. I have developed some gait excercises which have helped to correct my flat feet by retraining the nerves, muscles and joints and as a result, the constant soreness and aching I used to have is no longer a problem. I have looked over the shoe market pretty well and have found that for the most part, none of them have what I would call a 'good' arch. The athletic shoes with the highest arch seem to be the high end basketball shoes. For stability, they are a good choice but cross-trainers seem to be the best as far as lateral support goes. If you have a really good custom insole,(hard to come by) they will probably work best in a cross trainer. Otherwise, I have seen some trainers with a pretty adequate arch built into them. Try K-Swiss or Fila. Trainers are not like other athletic shoes, especially running shoes. They are like a court shoe on steroids, due to the high wrap around sole with an outward flare. I recommend you check them out. For excersises, walk a straight line, like you are on a balance beam, with the foot perfectly straight -- not toed out. Do that for 5 min. each day. Let me know how your feet feel after 1 month. Good Luck.

Mark

pala on 9/06/02 at 20:51 (094647)

where do you orth mark.

Mark J. on 9/06/02 at 21:05 (094650)

Muskegon, MI. Website: http://www.cpowestmichigan.com
The company is fairly new and the website is a work in progress. I am developing some new pages with more information about the problems we deal with and the products and services we offer. No pic of me yet, but that is just as well. :)

Mark

Vicki W on 9/11/02 at 09:16 (094999)

Can you wear these NB991's and add in an arch support insert? Or is that overkill? I just bought a pair of NB704AT & put PowerStep inserts in them but would like more cushioning. I hike in the woods so have always tried to get All Terrain type shoes with aggressive tread, but now with the PF (it just developed in my right foot a couple of months ago), I don't know what shoes I can wear & still be able to do trail hiking/running. Any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with Saucony? They were my favorite running shoe before the PF. I put Dr Scholls Dynasteps in my Saucony trail shoes (they are about a year old) & it helped, but I wonder if I am doing more damage than good?

Re: I've just bought some sneakera and light hikers from Vasque

Momika on 9/11/02 at 09:41 (095005)

I haven't had a lot of time to try them yet, but they seem promising with good all-over support.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/11/02 at 16:29 (095043)

Sure, Vicki. Lots of people have their custom orthotics fitted to New Balance shoes, for example. There's lots of room in them.

I didn't have any luck with Dr. Scholl's foam arch supports or cushioning arch supports. But, my custom soft orthotics are pretty good. I haven't ever tried an OTC orthotic because the ones I saw just looked so wimpy and cheesy. They do work for some people, though. The saleslady at Just for Feet who sold me my New Balance wanted to sell me an over-the-counter orthotic to put in it, but I didn't buy it. A lot of people like the orthotic that is listed in the products section of this website.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 08:10 (094197)

How about a New Balance running shoe? They don't have an orthotic footbed, but lot of people here like them. Running shoes are sometimes preferred for PF because of the construction. If you go to the New Balance website, at http://www.newbalance.com , it will tell you which models of New Balance running shoes are 'cushioning' and 'supportive cushioning', and these are supposed to be best for people with high arches.

It's really important which model you get, so you'll probably want to read about them on the website. Also, you might want to try on at least one with a PF-1 last and one with a PF-2 last, to see which fits your foot better. I bought a pair of 879's with the PF-2 last, but they never seemed to fit well. Then I bought the 991's with the PF-1 last, and they are working out quite well for me.

Other brands that are popular here are Adidas, Asic, and Brooks.

A lot of people agree with me that Nike's are NOT good for PF. I bought some that are sitting in my closet, almost never worn.

Carole C

Momika on 9/02/02 at 20:23 (094293)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I *gotta* have that arch suport. My PF doesn't bother me as long as I have that arch held up. If I wear something without the arch - OUCH!

Thanks,
Monika

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 20:52 (094301)

It's probably too early for you to be wearing a running shoe without orthotics, then. Believe me, I understand! In a few months you might be able to do that.

Carole C

Momika on 9/02/02 at 20:59 (094302)

Oh, but I haven't worn my orthotics in over a year thanks to the Danskos and the sandals (I also have some generic brand sport sandals that have an arch). I do fine as long as I have arch support, but without it I'm in pain. I have LESS pain with the Danskos and sandals than I do with my orthotics, so I want to give up with orthotics and find the right shoes.

I only wish I would could find something more sporty for the winter (when I can't wear my sandals any more).

Monika

Carole C in NOLA on 9/03/02 at 06:50 (094321)

Momika, I wish you the best of luck in finding a running shoe with an orthotic footbed like your Dansko's.

Carole C

Re: anyone familiar with Vasque?

Momika on 9/03/02 at 21:18 (094403)

They have some nice looking sporty shoes and they claim contoured footbed and arch support?

Monika

Mark on 9/05/02 at 01:28 (094499)

As a certified orthotis, I have been fabricating foot orthoses and fitting/modifying shoes for nearly 25 years. I also have been wearing custom insoles for at least 30 years. I do not wear them all the time, just in certain shoes. I have developed some gait excercises which have helped to correct my flat feet by retraining the nerves, muscles and joints and as a result, the constant soreness and aching I used to have is no longer a problem. I have looked over the shoe market pretty well and have found that for the most part, none of them have what I would call a 'good' arch. The athletic shoes with the highest arch seem to be the high end basketball shoes. For stability, they are a good choice but cross-trainers seem to be the best as far as lateral support goes. If you have a really good custom insole,(hard to come by) they will probably work best in a cross trainer. Otherwise, I have seen some trainers with a pretty adequate arch built into them. Try K-Swiss or Fila. Trainers are not like other athletic shoes, especially running shoes. They are like a court shoe on steroids, due to the high wrap around sole with an outward flare. I recommend you check them out. For excersises, walk a straight line, like you are on a balance beam, with the foot perfectly straight -- not toed out. Do that for 5 min. each day. Let me know how your feet feel after 1 month. Good Luck.

Mark

pala on 9/06/02 at 20:51 (094647)

where do you orth mark.

Mark J. on 9/06/02 at 21:05 (094650)

Muskegon, MI. Website: http://www.cpowestmichigan.com
The company is fairly new and the website is a work in progress. I am developing some new pages with more information about the problems we deal with and the products and services we offer. No pic of me yet, but that is just as well. :)

Mark

Vicki W on 9/11/02 at 09:16 (094999)

Can you wear these NB991's and add in an arch support insert? Or is that overkill? I just bought a pair of NB704AT & put PowerStep inserts in them but would like more cushioning. I hike in the woods so have always tried to get All Terrain type shoes with aggressive tread, but now with the PF (it just developed in my right foot a couple of months ago), I don't know what shoes I can wear & still be able to do trail hiking/running. Any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with Saucony? They were my favorite running shoe before the PF. I put Dr Scholls Dynasteps in my Saucony trail shoes (they are about a year old) & it helped, but I wonder if I am doing more damage than good?

Re: I've just bought some sneakera and light hikers from Vasque

Momika on 9/11/02 at 09:41 (095005)

I haven't had a lot of time to try them yet, but they seem promising with good all-over support.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/11/02 at 16:29 (095043)

Sure, Vicki. Lots of people have their custom orthotics fitted to New Balance shoes, for example. There's lots of room in them.

I didn't have any luck with Dr. Scholl's foam arch supports or cushioning arch supports. But, my custom soft orthotics are pretty good. I haven't ever tried an OTC orthotic because the ones I saw just looked so wimpy and cheesy. They do work for some people, though. The saleslady at Just for Feet who sold me my New Balance wanted to sell me an over-the-counter orthotic to put in it, but I didn't buy it. A lot of people like the orthotic that is listed in the products section of this website.

Carole C