Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF vs achilles tendonitis

Posted by carrie on 9/02/02 at 12:47 (094225)

How can you tell for sure which one you have? I have pain at the back of my heel more so than on the bottom, this seems more like it would be achilles tendonitis but my Dr's don't agree. I am frustrated because no matter what I do, or don't do, the spot on the back of my heel is always sore to the touch, at times it is better as far as the pain I get from walking, but the soreness to the touch is always there. What would be a way to treat it if it is achilles tendonitis? What would be a for sure way of knowing which one it is?

Thanks

Re: PF vs achilles tendonitis

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 13:20 (094238)

Carrie, I have both PF and Achilles tendonitis, according to my doctor. Basically, I think that having Achilles tendonitis means (to me) that the gentle, non-weightbearing stretching is SO important for my healing. The tendonitis made my lower legs feel so tight and the very gentle stretching, if repeated, can loosen things up. It's important to always stretch before getting out of bed, or getting up after sitting and so on.

But aside from that, I can't really see a whole lot of difference. The PF treatments seem to work pretty well, like rest, ice, and so on. I don't think it really matters which one it is, as long as you are sure to do your stretching very gently and don't strain your Achilles tendon.

Carole C

carrie on 9/02/02 at 21:31 (094309)

Do you have the sore spots in the back of the heel like me that never go away? They feel like a bruise almost. I hate it so bad arg! ha anyhow I don't get any pain or tightness in the leg at all, just the sore spots in my heel. Well thanks for the feedback, also what about the night splint is it good for this too?

Carole C in NOLA on 9/03/02 at 08:11 (094328)

I'm not sure if I get the same sore spots or not. My Achilles tendon area on the back of my ankle and heel felt tight and sore, and then I had some soreness around the edges of the bottom of my feet which I attributed to PF. Ice and gentle stretching seem to help both. Try using something like a bag of frozen peas that will mold around the sore spot when you ice.

I've heard that the night splint is WONDERFUL for Achilles tendonitis. My C.Ped suggested that I might need to get one, but I never did. I probably should have, but I'm a light sleeper and I felt like I'd never be able to sleep with one. Now that I'm mostly healed, I've heard that they help even if you just wear it while watching TV and so on. I didn't know that before! :)

From what I've read here, the night splint that is listed in the 'products' section of this website is the best one to get.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 13:20 (094238)

Carrie, I have both PF and Achilles tendonitis, according to my doctor. Basically, I think that having Achilles tendonitis means (to me) that the gentle, non-weightbearing stretching is SO important for my healing. The tendonitis made my lower legs feel so tight and the very gentle stretching, if repeated, can loosen things up. It's important to always stretch before getting out of bed, or getting up after sitting and so on.

But aside from that, I can't really see a whole lot of difference. The PF treatments seem to work pretty well, like rest, ice, and so on. I don't think it really matters which one it is, as long as you are sure to do your stretching very gently and don't strain your Achilles tendon.

Carole C

carrie on 9/02/02 at 21:31 (094309)

Do you have the sore spots in the back of the heel like me that never go away? They feel like a bruise almost. I hate it so bad arg! ha anyhow I don't get any pain or tightness in the leg at all, just the sore spots in my heel. Well thanks for the feedback, also what about the night splint is it good for this too?

Carole C in NOLA on 9/03/02 at 08:11 (094328)

I'm not sure if I get the same sore spots or not. My Achilles tendon area on the back of my ankle and heel felt tight and sore, and then I had some soreness around the edges of the bottom of my feet which I attributed to PF. Ice and gentle stretching seem to help both. Try using something like a bag of frozen peas that will mold around the sore spot when you ice.

I've heard that the night splint is WONDERFUL for Achilles tendonitis. My C.Ped suggested that I might need to get one, but I never did. I probably should have, but I'm a light sleeper and I felt like I'd never be able to sleep with one. Now that I'm mostly healed, I've heard that they help even if you just wear it while watching TV and so on. I didn't know that before! :)

From what I've read here, the night splint that is listed in the 'products' section of this website is the best one to get.

Carole C