Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just when

Posted by carrie on 9/02/02 at 12:54 (094230)

You think you are getting better the pain intensifies, I am sure this is due to increased activity but really how much sitting around can one do?

Re: Just when

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 13:26 (094241)

Lots.

Carole C (who knows what a drag it is)

Sharon W on 9/02/02 at 15:16 (094260)

Carrie,

Actually, I've found that many times, the pain gets a lot worse about 2 days AFTER I've overdone it. Perhaps this has something to do with how the inflammation process works, I don't know, but it's a real hassle.

Sharon

Ellen J. on 9/02/02 at 15:22 (094261)

I have always been really into staying fit and it was quite a mental challenge for me to lay off on the workouts. I have not worked out for 4 months and although I can see the results (body going mushy), I know I can rehab myself when my feet will allow it.
Until I just gave up and relaxed about it, I was pretty stressed about not running or cycling for awhile. I set my goals much farther away now. For instance, I've decided not to bicycle at all this summer outdoors, and only do some 'safe' indoor cycling so that I don't have the temptation of going up steep hills. I figure that if I'm careful all winter, I can then have the nice treat of cycling next spring.
Yes, it's really hard to stop working out, but you can do it. I just focused on other interesting things and that helped a great deal.
Ellen J.

Leon S. on 9/02/02 at 15:47 (094264)

This was a very timely thread for me to read since I just came back from shopping for a recumbent exercise bike. I have been going nuts thinking about not doing any cardio fitness exercises since I developed PF a couple of months ago. I've been doing more sit-ups and light weight exercises while lying down and swimming when the weather allowed. My big concern is weather I'll be able to ski this winter. Do you have any suggestions on the bike to get. The ones I saw that I liked and fit my price range were either the Vision Fitness and the Keys Fitness Cardio Master.

wendyn on 9/02/02 at 15:56 (094265)

I don't know if most people really have to stop working out. Upper body weights (while sitting), deep water running, yoga, and sometimes cycling may be possible as alternative exercise.

It seems to be pretty individual as far as what you can get away with, but most of us find we have to keep active some how.

Re: Just when/exercise bikes

Ellen J. on 9/02/02 at 16:39 (094270)

I recently bought a semi-recumbant exercise bike for my father who had major abdominal surgery. We all tried it out and think it's great! It is a Tunturi semi-recumant bike, model F 520. I ordered it over the internet and from what I can remember, the price was somewhere around 600.00 at the time (last summer in 2001).
Regarding skiing, I ski downhill regularly (every weekend during winter) and luckily, it has been no problem for my feet because the feet are locked into boots that don't flex in the arch. I think I had a little pain when I did moguls, so I avoided them last winter and just skiied hard everywhere else on the mountain. I may try freestyle XC this winter and see if I can do that too. It would be a great workout to get back in shape. I'm sure that comfort while skiing would be greatly enhanced by the right orthotics.
Ellen J.

Leon S. on 9/02/02 at 19:16 (094286)

Ahhhh! The first good news I've read. I thought, as you stated, that since the feet are locked into the ski boots that there is minimal stress on the foot to cause additional problems. It seems that much of dealing with this problem is common sense. Does your bike have all the bells and whistles with pre=programmed events and a heart monitor? The couple that I saw within that price range were nice and smooth with magnetic resistance but just had the basics in terms of rate, distance, time, calories etc. I don't think I need the extras since I didnn't use them on my treadmill.

Leon

Ellen J. on 9/02/02 at 20:27 (094295)

Hi Leon,
The bike I bought was a pretty simple bike, since I tend to be one of those who prefers a simple non-electronic version. This one has a small battery operated electronic screen which tells you calories burned, time, speed, etc. No heart monitor or anything fancy. It is well made and simple. If I find a link for this bike I'll post it, but it may not have all that you are looking for if you need a heart monitor, etc. I can't remember the bike exactly since it is at my parent's house.
For myself, I bought a CycleOps indoor bike trainer and attached my bike to that. It is a magnetic resistance and very smooth. I've had to lay off it this summer since I had messed up my feet so badly back in march or april but will be back on it soon. If you want a bike trainer the CycleOps is really nice and very smooth (as long as you have smooth road bike tires on your bike).
Ellen J.

Re: other exercises

Ellen J. on 9/02/02 at 20:35 (094297)

I found that one of the things that worked for me regarding lower body workouts was a combo (at the fitness center) of the leg extension machine, the adductor and abductor as well as the leg curl. I do those in addition to a full upper body workout with weights. Doesn't help the cardio part, but it helps keep the legs in shape. Free weights are great, but beware that lifting the weights in order to carry them to the bench may put stress on your feet and cause reinjury. I hurt my feet a number of times before figuring out that the cause of the problem was carrying two 20 lb. weights over to the bench. Someone suggested I carry one at a time, and it was a great suggestion. I do it that way and my feet don't complain.
Ellen J.

carrie on 9/02/02 at 20:46 (094299)

I disagree that working is all bad you just have to do different things. I am swimming 4-5 days a week and am staying in great shape plus the mental part is so important for me. Along with swimming i find I can do all the wieghlifting stuff since it is all seated and not at all wieght bearing on my feet, and then I find that I can also do yoga and pilates.

I would not go 4 months without working out because I would go insance, plus I love to eat!

carrie on 9/02/02 at 20:48 (094300)

I still think swimming is the best thing to do way better than the bike. I go to a gym so I am not sure which bike to get from home. Precor is a good company but not sure if they make bikes or not. Go to precor.com to see.

Good luck and I don't think I would be skiing unless you are totally healed, OUCH

carrie on 9/02/02 at 21:28 (094306)

Yes I also do allot weights and find the same issues. Lately I stay away from the free weights and do the machines, they are good and you don't have to carry things around and all can be done sitting. Good way to weight lift in my opinion. WHen doing free weights I use the water weights in the pool and those really blast my arms.

carrie on 9/02/02 at 21:29 (094308)

I think the worse thing you can do is to stop working out!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/02/02 at 13:26 (094241)

Lots.

Carole C (who knows what a drag it is)

Sharon W on 9/02/02 at 15:16 (094260)

Carrie,

Actually, I've found that many times, the pain gets a lot worse about 2 days AFTER I've overdone it. Perhaps this has something to do with how the inflammation process works, I don't know, but it's a real hassle.

Sharon

Ellen J. on 9/02/02 at 15:22 (094261)

I have always been really into staying fit and it was quite a mental challenge for me to lay off on the workouts. I have not worked out for 4 months and although I can see the results (body going mushy), I know I can rehab myself when my feet will allow it.
Until I just gave up and relaxed about it, I was pretty stressed about not running or cycling for awhile. I set my goals much farther away now. For instance, I've decided not to bicycle at all this summer outdoors, and only do some 'safe' indoor cycling so that I don't have the temptation of going up steep hills. I figure that if I'm careful all winter, I can then have the nice treat of cycling next spring.
Yes, it's really hard to stop working out, but you can do it. I just focused on other interesting things and that helped a great deal.
Ellen J.

Leon S. on 9/02/02 at 15:47 (094264)

This was a very timely thread for me to read since I just came back from shopping for a recumbent exercise bike. I have been going nuts thinking about not doing any cardio fitness exercises since I developed PF a couple of months ago. I've been doing more sit-ups and light weight exercises while lying down and swimming when the weather allowed. My big concern is weather I'll be able to ski this winter. Do you have any suggestions on the bike to get. The ones I saw that I liked and fit my price range were either the Vision Fitness and the Keys Fitness Cardio Master.

wendyn on 9/02/02 at 15:56 (094265)

I don't know if most people really have to stop working out. Upper body weights (while sitting), deep water running, yoga, and sometimes cycling may be possible as alternative exercise.

It seems to be pretty individual as far as what you can get away with, but most of us find we have to keep active some how.

Ellen J. on 9/02/02 at 16:39 (094270)

I recently bought a semi-recumbant exercise bike for my father who had major abdominal surgery. We all tried it out and think it's great! It is a Tunturi semi-recumant bike, model F 520. I ordered it over the internet and from what I can remember, the price was somewhere around 600.00 at the time (last summer in 2001).
Regarding skiing, I ski downhill regularly (every weekend during winter) and luckily, it has been no problem for my feet because the feet are locked into boots that don't flex in the arch. I think I had a little pain when I did moguls, so I avoided them last winter and just skiied hard everywhere else on the mountain. I may try freestyle XC this winter and see if I can do that too. It would be a great workout to get back in shape. I'm sure that comfort while skiing would be greatly enhanced by the right orthotics.
Ellen J.

Leon S. on 9/02/02 at 19:16 (094286)

Ahhhh! The first good news I've read. I thought, as you stated, that since the feet are locked into the ski boots that there is minimal stress on the foot to cause additional problems. It seems that much of dealing with this problem is common sense. Does your bike have all the bells and whistles with pre=programmed events and a heart monitor? The couple that I saw within that price range were nice and smooth with magnetic resistance but just had the basics in terms of rate, distance, time, calories etc. I don't think I need the extras since I didnn't use them on my treadmill.

Leon

Ellen J. on 9/02/02 at 20:27 (094295)

Hi Leon,
The bike I bought was a pretty simple bike, since I tend to be one of those who prefers a simple non-electronic version. This one has a small battery operated electronic screen which tells you calories burned, time, speed, etc. No heart monitor or anything fancy. It is well made and simple. If I find a link for this bike I'll post it, but it may not have all that you are looking for if you need a heart monitor, etc. I can't remember the bike exactly since it is at my parent's house.
For myself, I bought a CycleOps indoor bike trainer and attached my bike to that. It is a magnetic resistance and very smooth. I've had to lay off it this summer since I had messed up my feet so badly back in march or april but will be back on it soon. If you want a bike trainer the CycleOps is really nice and very smooth (as long as you have smooth road bike tires on your bike).
Ellen J.

Ellen J. on 9/02/02 at 20:35 (094297)

I found that one of the things that worked for me regarding lower body workouts was a combo (at the fitness center) of the leg extension machine, the adductor and abductor as well as the leg curl. I do those in addition to a full upper body workout with weights. Doesn't help the cardio part, but it helps keep the legs in shape. Free weights are great, but beware that lifting the weights in order to carry them to the bench may put stress on your feet and cause reinjury. I hurt my feet a number of times before figuring out that the cause of the problem was carrying two 20 lb. weights over to the bench. Someone suggested I carry one at a time, and it was a great suggestion. I do it that way and my feet don't complain.
Ellen J.

carrie on 9/02/02 at 20:46 (094299)

I disagree that working is all bad you just have to do different things. I am swimming 4-5 days a week and am staying in great shape plus the mental part is so important for me. Along with swimming i find I can do all the wieghlifting stuff since it is all seated and not at all wieght bearing on my feet, and then I find that I can also do yoga and pilates.

I would not go 4 months without working out because I would go insance, plus I love to eat!

carrie on 9/02/02 at 20:48 (094300)

I still think swimming is the best thing to do way better than the bike. I go to a gym so I am not sure which bike to get from home. Precor is a good company but not sure if they make bikes or not. Go to precor.com to see.

Good luck and I don't think I would be skiing unless you are totally healed, OUCH

carrie on 9/02/02 at 21:28 (094306)

Yes I also do allot weights and find the same issues. Lately I stay away from the free weights and do the machines, they are good and you don't have to carry things around and all can be done sitting. Good way to weight lift in my opinion. WHen doing free weights I use the water weights in the pool and those really blast my arms.

carrie on 9/02/02 at 21:29 (094308)

I think the worse thing you can do is to stop working out!