Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heal pain, numbness, contemplating a trip

Posted by RachelW on 9/02/02 at 22:55 (094315)

Besides the heel spur on my right foot, there is also numbness. Sometimes the pain will subside for a period of time, but the numbness never leaves.
Am planning a 2 to 3 week trip abroad and am actually beginning to wonder if this is a good idea. Any suggestions for people who travel alot, and are there any places out of this country where treatment is more reasonable. As I write this the outside of my right foot feels as though a hot poker has hit it. I use soft heel cushions which are very helpful, in cirtain shoes. Anything with an arch support causes more problems. What I never see address is the numbness that I experence. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank You Rachel

Re: heal pain, numbness, contemplating a trip

Sharon W on 9/03/02 at 09:34 (094338)

Rachel,

Numbness can indicate some sort of nerve problem, especially if the numbness never really seems to go away. You should be sure to tell your doctor about it.

Has your blood sugar been checked recently? Have you had any nerve testing done, such as nerve conduction velocity tests, or an EMG?

Sharon

Rachel W. on 9/04/02 at 04:51 (094417)

Another Rachel W???

That's going to be confusing.

I better change my name to RachelWoolly in future then.

RachelW on 9/05/02 at 11:26 (094524)

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share information and personal experiences. It has all been very helpful and I am persuing many of the suggestions. Rachel W.

PD on 9/06/02 at 18:00 (094628)

WILL STERIODS FOR A HEEL SPUR CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN?

Sharon W on 9/06/02 at 18:19 (094631)

PD,

I actually think they did, with me -- but I think steriods for heel pain are usually just prescribed for a week, as opposed to the long-term steriod therapy sometimes prescribed for asthma, etc. (Or else, steroids may be injected directly into the problem area of the foot/ankle, which is supposed to bring even LESS risk for side effects.)

Sharon

Sharon W on 9/03/02 at 09:34 (094338)

Rachel,

Numbness can indicate some sort of nerve problem, especially if the numbness never really seems to go away. You should be sure to tell your doctor about it.

Has your blood sugar been checked recently? Have you had any nerve testing done, such as nerve conduction velocity tests, or an EMG?

Sharon

Rachel W. on 9/04/02 at 04:51 (094417)

Another Rachel W???

That's going to be confusing.

I better change my name to RachelWoolly in future then.

RachelW on 9/05/02 at 11:26 (094524)

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share information and personal experiences. It has all been very helpful and I am persuing many of the suggestions. Rachel W.

PD on 9/06/02 at 18:00 (094628)

WILL STERIODS FOR A HEEL SPUR CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN?

Sharon W on 9/06/02 at 18:19 (094631)

PD,

I actually think they did, with me -- but I think steriods for heel pain are usually just prescribed for a week, as opposed to the long-term steriod therapy sometimes prescribed for asthma, etc. (Or else, steroids may be injected directly into the problem area of the foot/ankle, which is supposed to bring even LESS risk for side effects.)

Sharon